Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
As of last night, Apple was signing both 7.1.2 and 8.0, so you could roll back. I'm not sure how long that will go on for though, I'd guess not more than a few days to a week.

I rolled back last night because scrolling stuttered. It's so smooth in 7.1 that I just couldn't justify keeping 8.

Yeah, I had to "flatten" mine and do a fresh install of iOS8. It is snappier, but I would only do it if you're willing to backup first and then totally wipe your unit with no guarantee of a rollback. If you use Siri to dictate emails, I'd go for it. There's tweaking to be done to save your battery. It's all very fiddly and you'll be asked for your password alot. If you have a bluetooth keyboard, link it up to your iPod -you'll thank me later.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
It does feel to me like it's using more of the precious half gig of RAM than 7.1.2 did. I feel as though it's quite hard to keep more than one or two apps open in the background, whereas before it was easy to keep two or three open. Also my main browser, Opera Coast, seems to be having more trouble and crashing more often with bloated web pages - but Coast also hasn't been updated for iOS8 yet so maybe this will improve.

Siri on iOS8 is super good now though, especially the always on feature.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
its fine.

but i do hope they release an iTouch with 1GB of ram.

our developers needed optimize our APP because of this. and 700 dollars for an off contract phone is just too much.

but then again we can just push our customers to buy a used iPhone 5s or 5

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I have it running on a 16GB Black and Silver (rear camera-less) fifth gen iPod touch and, while it's substantially faster than it was in beta 5, it's still slower than it was in iOS 7.1.2. I have a second 16GB Black and Silver iPod touch that is still on iOS 7.1.2 and will probably remain on it and between the two iPods you can definitely notice the speed difference. Of note, both iPods had their respective iOS installs done as DFU restores. Also, not to beat the dead horse that much more, but iOS 8 is still glitchy as all hell.

Really, if you have multiple iPod touches like I do, then you might as well install it on one of them. If this is your only one, I'd make your decision on whether or not to update in a similar fashion to the iPhone 4S users seeing as the iPhone 4S and the fifth generation iPod touch use the same processing guts.

Mechayoshi

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
The Mushroom Kingdom
I just did a fresh install on mine. It's definitely slower now and sometimes the keyboard is laggy or doesn't show up at all. Of course, performance might get better later but for now my reaction is "meh".

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
I run iOS 8.1 on both my iPhone 5s and on my iPod touch 5th gen and while 8.1 is fast and fluid on my 5s there are massive lags and performance problems on the A5. iOS 7 was ok though, but since 8.0 i really notice the age of the A5 chip, and 8.1 probably made it worse.

Last edited:

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
But only in terms of overall performance. I had absolutely no lags with iOS 7, but as i mentioned before, i notice a huge difference with iOS 8, especially when opening apps. iOS 8 will also be the last supported version for the 1st gen iPad mini, as this device also has the A5.

mohitster

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
But only in terms of overall performance. I had absolutely no lags with iOS 7, but as i mentioned before, i notice a huge difference with iOS 8, especially when opening apps. iOS 8 will also be the last supported version for the 1st gen iPad mini, as this device also has the A5.

That's disappointing.. I am quite happy with iOS 7 and guess it's better I stay with it

novono

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2012
What exactly is the benefit of iOS 8 on the ipt 5th generation?

Notification center widgets, apple's new keyboard + 3rd party KBs, better battery usage tracking data, much improved camera app, iMessages supports voice messages, spotlight search adds online results, if you're a Mac owner the continuity feature is pretty great and so on...

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

I think A5 devices will get iOS 9. The Mini 1 is still for sale, and so is the iPod Touch 5. Considering the ipOd touch 5 is still a premium model, I doubt it will loose support by July 2015 when iOS 9 is introduced. The Mini 1 should also get it. If the Mini 1 gets it, then it make sense for the iPad 2 and 3 to get it and the same goes for the iPod Touch 5, it makes sense for the 4S to get it. I don't think Apple would have kept the iPod Touch 5 around if it wasn't going to update it. The Touch 4 was not the high end device when it lost support and it had very lowly specs compared to everything else, whereas the touch 5 has similar specs to a heap of other devices.

Dirtysand

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2014
Pretty fluid, mind you I do have transparency turned off, motion minimized, background app update disabled, automatic app store update disabled, spotlight suggestions disabled both in general search, and safari search, predictive typing turned off, dictation disabled, and most ad servers blocked off.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
I think A5 devices will get iOS 9. The Mini 1 is still for sale, and so is the iPod Touch 5. Considering the ipOd touch 5 is still a premium model, I doubt it will loose support by July 2015 when iOS 9 is introduced. The Mini 1 should also get it. If the Mini 1 gets it, then it make sense for the iPad 2 and 3 to get it and the same goes for the iPod Touch 5, it makes sense for the 4S to get it. I don't think Apple would have kept the iPod Touch 5 around if it wasn't going to update it. The Touch 4 was not the high end device when it lost support and it had very lowly specs compared to everything else, whereas the touch 5 has similar specs to a heap of other devices.

iPod touch 4 was still sold until may 30th, 2013, only about 3 1/2 to 4 months before iOS 7 was officially released and it only got iOS 6.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
iPod touch 4 was still sold until may 30th, 2013, only about 3 1/2 to 4 months before iOS 7 was officially released and it only got iOS 6.

The iPod Touch 4 was the low end model though, sold along side the 5th gen. Similar to how the iPod Touch 2nd Gen was sold alongside the 3rd Gen. The 2nd Gen only got to 4.2, it was dropped with 4.3 in early 2011, after being sold up till September, the 3rd Gen however got support till the release of iOS 6 in September 2012, 2 years after it was discontinued.

When the low end iPod touch is sold alongside a higher end one, Apple has a history of dropping the low end one support quit quickly after discontinuation, but the higher end one gets longer ( which is what the 5th gen is)

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
The iPod Touch 4 was the low end model though, sold along side the 5th gen. Similar to how the iPod Touch 2nd Gen was sold alongside the 3rd Gen. The 2nd Gen only got to 4.2, it was dropped with 4.3 in early 2011, after being sold up till September, the 3rd Gen however got support till the release of iOS 6 in September 2012, 2 years after it was discontinued.

When the low end iPod touch is sold alongside a higher end one, Apple has a history of dropping the low end one support quit quickly after discontinuation, but the higher end one gets longer ( which is what the 5th gen is)

just saying, the 3g only got iOS 5. not iOS 6.

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2014
Michigan
Just curious, but i may be getting a 5th gen touch for christmas, and the place my parents are getting it from, it will still have iOS 6 on it, so i was curious if i should keep 6 on it or update to 8 when (and if) i get it? What would you recommend?

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
Just curious, but i may be getting a 5th gen touch for christmas, and the place my parents are getting it from, it will still have iOS 6 on it, so i was curious if i should keep 6 on it or update to 8 when (and if) i get it? What would you recommend?

If you're going to use mainly for music keep it on iOS 6 as the music player is much better. If you're going to be using it mainly for apps, it's going to be a hard decision since apps are requiring iOS 8 but there will be slight slowdown compared to iOS 6. I would try to keep it on iOS 6 though eventually I updated since I knew I would restore my iPhone at some point so it would have been on iOS 8 anyway (doesn't help when apps aren't supported).

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012

Keep iOS 6. Try out another iPod touch w/ iOS 8, and see if you want the major speed decrease that comes with iOS 8.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Keep iOS 6. Try out another iPod touch w/ iOS 8, and see if you want the major speed decrease that comes with iOS 8.

This. Go to the Apple store and load up a few things and surf the internet. Compare with the one on ios 6.

Mine is on 7.1.2 and still slow at times. Overall it's ok though. But with ios 8..ha! My iPad 4 crashes regularly and stalls

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.