Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbone7467

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
I sure hope they fix the issue where Spotlight stops searching for apps. It's really frustrating when you have a lot of apps and learned to depend on search rather than sifting through folders.

YES PLEASE!! at first I thought I was going crazy cause I remember it working. then it would work intermittently

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
iOS 8 has been a complete mess. Heck basic functions are suspect at times. I been seeing issues across devices with iMessage to where if you send a message, it won't show up on your screen until you close out app and go back in.

I would love to see Apple double down on software quality again. What's the point if new features you introduced are so buggy you can't really use them. Third Party keyboards, I'm looking at you.

DMinTX

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
It really isn't that hard and Apple has the resources to write operating systems that gracefully fall back on features that aren't able to be supported by the older hardware. Most features can be supported with ease even by Macs from 1999 and the original iPhones.
This can all be done at the compiler level so there is no burden on users of new hardware - each compiled make is the best update for it's target hardware. This is old hat.

Maybe at the application level, but not so much at the operating system level.

Dealing with a large variety of hardware and a poor BIOS architecture has been Microsoft's struggle with Windows for years. Last I heard, an estimated 85% of BSODs (Blue Screen of Death) were actually a BIOS hang. You weren't in Windows, but you cussed Microsoft.

One of the main reasons we have EFI today is Microsoft's desire to get BIOS out of the system.

poe diddley

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
greensboro nc
what's wrong with your safari

Please say you're joking. I can only assume that if you're not joking, that you must be using a band new device. Otherwise you wouldnt make such a comment. Please take a look around on this site and on Apple's community support site. You'll soon understand.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
It should show up in Settings > General > Usage where you can delete it. Haven't tried it personally so not completely sure, but I would expect that it won't download it (at least that particular version) automatically again after that.

That did it. I thank you from the bottom of my heart

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Please say you're joking. I can only assume that if you're not joking, that you must be using a band new device. Otherwise you wouldnt make such a comment. Please take a look around on this site and on Apple's community support site. You'll soon understand.

well safari works fine on my iPhone 5, iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2. the only time I had issues was when the Pangu jailbreak was new but that hasn't been an issue for a few updates either

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
It should show up in Settings > General > Usage where you can delete it. Haven't tried it personally so not completely sure, but I would expect that it won't download it (at least that particular version) automatically again after that.

Correct, I removed 8.1.1 at some point and it never came back as far as the download. Only showed that it was available in the settings >software update and settings icon but the predownloaded files do go away freeing up the space.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Uh wrong.

The iTunes store makes the majority of the money for Apple. Just look at any of their quarterly earnings calls.

What earnings calls are you looking at?

piechart2.png

piechart2.png

q22014piechart.png

q12014piechartcorrected.png

linechart.png

Last edited:

poe diddley

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
greensboro nc
well safari works fine on my iPhone 5, iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2. the only time I had issues was when the Pangu jailbreak was new but that hasn't been an issue for a few updates either

Pick up an iPad mini or any device with lower specs than ur iPhone5 and then talk to me about safari. Seriously it's a pile of turds. Honestly im always on board with Apple updates, and this is the first time I regret updating to the new OS on any device I've owned from Apple. Safari is the main app I use on my iPad mini, and it's turned to complete rubbish since iOS 8. It got slightly better with iOS 8.1, but not enough to matter. Apple has really got to do a much better job of ensuring compatibility if they going to claim it works with older devices. I'd pay money to have iOS 7 back on my iPad-simply for safari because it's the main purpose my pad is used for. Every other app works flawlessly. If I was truly using an old antiquated device i wouldnt have attempted the update or even be bitching about it. But my AppleCare on this device hasn't even expired yet.

Arnold Rimmer

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
Safari is a nightmare in iOS 8

I can agree that safari is A mess in iOS 8! Issues I have that can be replicated time and again are:

Websites are sometimes recognised as portraite when in fact they are in landscape. The actual view of the website is indeed correctly presented to the user in landscape but the touch controls are somehow misintrerpreted as portrait

This can be replicated very easily on websites such as Amazon or your routers login page. Let's take Amazon as an example...

Log into Amazon, put somethjng in your basket, go back to "my account" select a section that requires you to authenticate (such as view my emails etc) YOU MUST BE PRESETNED WITH THE AUTHENTICATION SCREEN where you are prompted for your password. Now all touch controls will to act correctly. You will touch the password box, but be taken to you help section as it thinks you have pressed the help section? To enter your password you must in fact press near the top right of the screen near where the username is entered to have safari register the touch as in the password box. (All the above must be done in landscape at all times)

This can also be easily noticed on a netgear router. (All done in landscape again)
Go you to your net gear page, navigate to your advanced settings, navigate to block sites, click the section to add a new block site, enjoy the mess that is safari iOS 8 as it refuses to regognise the touch in the correct location. I must turn all my devices back to portrait for this to register correctly.

Both of the above can be replicated on 3 iPad mini 2 with latest iOS 8 and have been like that since iOS was launched. It was never an issue on iOS 5 or 7 on our other devices..

Next we have an issue with YouTube videos on safari. When viewing some YouTube videos in Safari iOS 8 you will not be able to exit the video when it's finished? Pressing "done" will not function or make the video smaller, pressing the "arrows" to make the video smaller won't work either. The only way to exit is to force close safari and restart it! this is a really annoyance for me!

Safari still has bugs when searching. After a search in 8.1.1 safari would not a,low users to click the links until you made the search movie up or down.. These similar bugs are present in the new updates and have not been fixed in ALL circumstances but have been improved.

Some sites do not render correctly in iOS 8 but this could be site specific!

Safari still reloads webpages when flicking between tabs. I am lucky if I can get 3 tabs open and successfully move between them. A real nightmare, when trying to enter data into your websites or copy a link to a post that then disappears when you move from the current window!

Safari crashes a lot in general!

Some websites that have certain layouts (that work on my android devices) bounce about in Safari ... This is hard to explain but what happens in genera is.. I navigate to a certain part of the page (page is fully loaded and complete) I start reading text and the site "flickers" between the part I am on and another part above/below where I am... The only way to keep the page static is to keep my finger in the screen as if I am scrolling, but even then in all cases this does not resolve the issue.

iOS 8 will not correctly open items in the app it offers.
This can be demonstrated in Amazon buy trying to view an attachment. iOS 8 will offer to open the attachment in the appropriate app such as pages, pictures viewers Etc... As yet I have not been able to open anything from anywhere in any app other than some obscure 3rd party apps. But even then it's not working correctly at all.

This can also be replicated in file sharing apps and file viewing apps for opening text documents from a remote machine in citrix app, word, pages, or docs to go!

Next we have YouTube app not recognising multi finger touch. in some circumstances the YouTube app refuses to allow you to 4 finder swipe back to another app!

iOS 8 and Safari in general have caused many of us in my line of work (IT) go stop using our iOS devices and reply or cheap little android items in the interim! I won't move away from iOS yet as that's a little drastic, but I can no longer compete my work as was previously the case on iOS 7! If I could go back to iOS 7 I would! I would fire whoever let iOS out to the public and hire public stress testers to verify and test the iOS before it's released ... Not just some guy getting paid millions to test if subway surfers works and then bashes that out to the public ruinnig our productivity!

It's a real mess and this is about 10% of all the issues I have with iOS 8 most of which I have reported to Apple but got nothing in return! Not even an acknowledgment.

The arrogance of Apple is become shocking!
iOS 9 wants to be shelved until 2016 and iOS 8 should be ironed out in 2015 so ensure we have fully functioning devices!

That will never happen though...

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
Truth be told, the only real issue I have had with iOS 8 (now iOS 8.1.2) is iCloud Drive document picker window crashes when scrolling. Considering how many iOS releases I've been through, iOS 8 has been the least glitchy of all of them for me.

It could always be worse... :apple:

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Truth be told, the only real issue I have had with iOS 8 (now iOS 8.1.2) is iCloud Drive document picker window crashes when scrolling. Considering how many iOS releases I've been through, iOS 8 has been the least glitchy of all of them for me.

It could always be worse... :apple:

It comes down to how you use your phone which determines what bugs you will see. I don't mess around with iCloud Drive so I didn't realize there was an issue. iMessage is something that has a nasty bug but you only see it if you text a lot. 3rd Party Keyboards are buggy as hell as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.