Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
Is anyone else having latency / lag in open file dialogs within applications in Yosemite?

It feels the same as when you have way too little RAM... everything is sluggish.

I have a 4,1 MacPro

Last edited:

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Yeah I have a 16 GB RAM Retina MBP and it feels like my old PC from 1999. The interface is laggy as hell and it is driving me crazy.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I do notice a lag on my brand new MacBook Pro 15" Retina when compared to a relatively new 27" iMac. From what I'm hearing, the lag is limited to retina-based Macs. That being said, it's a barely noticeable lag unless you're really looking for it.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
Yeah I have a 16 GB RAM Retina MBP and it feels like my old PC from 1999. The interface is laggy as hell and it is driving me crazy.
Driving me crazy too... I'm not a speed freak, but this really slows down my workflow. I open a finder and have to wait a beat before it loads the contents... then double click a folder and wait another beat while it loads.

I wish I could (easily) roll my machine back to Mavericks because I predict this will not be a quick fix.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I do notice a lag on my brand new MacBook Pro 15" Retina when compared to a relatively new 27" iMac. From what I'm hearing, the lag is limited to retina-based Macs. That being said, it's a barely noticeable lag unless you're really looking for it.

I wouldn't say it's barely noticeable. After a reboot, there is no lag whatsoever. The lag always kicks in a few hours or a day or so later and stays that way until another reboot. When it starts lagging, it can get very bad, switching spaces can take several seconds (that's bad if you switch spaces every 5 seconds), Mission Control can take many seconds to load, and opening new tabs, dragging tabs around in Safari can freeze for like 10 seconds, it can even cause my computer (Late 2013 rMBP) to freeze completely. Rebooting isn't an option when you're in the middle of a 9 hour long project that requires constant FTP transfers, many hour long file transfers, saving massive Photoshop files and having dozens of windows open. I'm always doing something on my computer, I never have the chance to reboot.

Occasionally Safari will freeze and eventually the mouse will stop moving, and I'll have to do a hard reset. I've gotten kernel panics and complete freezes occasionally too, which, over the course of just 2 months, is very bad.

I want to downgrade to Mavericks but I don't know how long that will take, and I can't risk not being able to get work done because the restore fails, or I end up forgetting to transfer some new files, etc... And I have better things to do on my 1 day off a month. I have no more patience for computer problems, this is not 1999 when you spent a weekend setting up Windows 98 and installing drivers and getting the internet to work.

Modern operating systems should take into account that people rely on their computers like they rely on running water and electricity: it can't be my job to fix these things anymore because unfortunately the world expects you to have a working computer at all times. Imagine if your electric company installed some new transformer at your house, and from then on you would only have electricity every other day. And 3 months later they would still not have solved the problem.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
...Modern operating systems should take into account that people rely on their computers like they rely on running water and electricity: it can't be my job to fix these things anymore because unfortunately the world expects you to have a working computer at all times. Imagine if your electric company installed some new transformer at your house, and from then on you would only have electricity every other day. And 3 months later they would still not have solved the problem.
I'm right with you on workflow... I'm a (salaried) web dev and have a million things going on all the time. This is a major drag on my work flow, not a minor nuisance. I move windows around and open and close the finder like I'm playing a video game and expect my OS to be yawning at my zeal. Like iOS 8, this was a hasty release.

Does the app store even have a Mavericks DMG available for download? My spidey sense tells me this is NOT going to get fixed until the next major OS release. I may just do a clean install on a new drive.

Apple will insist it's a minority of users (and it may be, but it's sucks to be in that minority). Thank god I didn't update my home Mac Pro.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Is anyone else having latency / lag in open file dialogs within applications in Yosemite?

Nope, pretty instant whether accessing internal SSD or HDD - do you have spotlight excluding your drives or turned off in any way/ Just wondering if Finder uses Spotlight to pre-cache folders and files for navigation....?

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
Nope, pretty instant whether accessing internal SSD or HDD - do you have spotlight excluding your drives or turned off in any way/ Just wondering if Finder uses Spotlight to pre-cache folders and files for navigation....?
The one consideration is that this update and to Yosemite the prior update from Mountain Lion to Mavericks were both "dirty" upgrades. Perhaps if I did a clean install of Yosemite on a new drive it would be different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.