Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Does the iPad also have AppleCare+? If so, then I would say it'll probably cost around $50 to have that engraving "removed."

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Hay, I engraved on my iPod 'live long and prosper'. I figured I can't go wrong with it even if I wanted to sell it. Just remember in the future think long and hard before you engrave again. No names, no numbers, unless it 1s and 0s. :D

Damn I wish I got that engraved when I ordered my iPad!! Awesome.
Just got too impulsive and skipped the engraving option when I ordered though.

But yea, you can't go wrong With that.

7DSniper

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
South Florida
Why don't you ask Apple how much a new back cover would be. They replace them all the time for refurbs. Its worth a phone call at least?

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Sorry for the stupid question, but exactly how did you think there was a possible way to un-engrave an iPad? I mean it is "engraved" (cut, carved, etched) into the iPad's aluminum backing. What could someone possibly suggest that would undo that?

Spackle?

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I am strongly suggesting that you leave it alone. There is no possible way that it won't look like crap when you try to remove it. You will regret the decision.

LittleGwen

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I knew someday I might sell it so didn't get it engraved. But I understand the temptation to engrave it because then the iPad seems more personal. However, I don't think you should do anything about it, might mess it up even more trying to remove it. I know it lost its value when you engraved it but maybe someone with the same name can buy it? LoL :p

apple-a-day

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
How I removed engraving

This is how I removed my wife's name off of iPad before selling

Masking tape left over from last painting project, 220 sandpaper and then buffing with that abrasive sponge.

Note, folding sandpaper 4 times helps you get harder edge for more precise application. ;)

Attachments

• photo 1 (6).JPG
    photo 1 (6).JPG
    700.2 KB · Views: 1,095
  • photo 2 (5).JPG
    photo 2 (5).JPG
    608.9 KB · Views: 1,046
  • photo 3 (3).JPG
    photo 3 (3).JPG
    532.3 KB · Views: 1,020
  • photo 4 (4).JPG
    photo 4 (4).JPG
    363.1 KB · Views: 1,174
Reactions: PennHunter

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
If you are planning on selling outright having an engraver fill it out to a box might be fine. If you plan on trading it in at a store, probably not. Most say no engraving if you want to get the good price for it. Otherwse, using gamestop as an example, you will be in the 'poor' category.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
This is how I removed my wife's name off of iPad before selling

Masking tape left over from last painting project, 220 sandpaper and then buffing with that abrasive sponge.

Note, folding sandpaper 4 times helps you get harder edge for more precise application. ;)

The words.... There are none...

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2005
CA
I knew someday I might sell it so didn't get it engraved. But I understand the temptation to engrave it because then the iPad seems more personal. However, I don't think you should do anything about it, might mess it up even more trying to remove it. I know it lost its value when you engraved it but maybe someone with the same name can buy it? LoL :p

Oh that's so hilarious!! -NOT. For cripes sakes how much loss of value can a used iPad have? It's already USED?

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2005
CA
I want to sell my iPad 3 (32GB Wifi) but I had engraving done it it with a 'If found email xxx for return' message on it but I wan to upgrade to the 64GB+3G model for travelling to replace my old MBP.

Anyone know of a way that wont ruin it?

I'm getting ready to give my iPad away to one of my kids. I plan to use frog tape cutting it to an oblong shape and buffing out the engraving myself with a .0004 steel wood pad. There is no way if you do it yourself, not to have it look like you've done something to it. Apple a day suggestion looks good. If you should go that route, when you sell it, just indicate that an engraving has been removed. Not everyone is picky.

Last edited:

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
What you want to do is remove it with a bit of caustic soda- lye solution on a q-tip. Oven cleaner will do the job. Just apply where needed, it will remove the thin layer of anodize burned by the laser, and if you don't go nuts, that's all it will remove.

Furzul

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2013
Derbyshire, England
Hay, I engraved on my iPod 'live long and prosper'. I figured I can't go wrong with it even if I wanted to sell it. Just remember in the future think long and hard before you engrave again. No names, no numbers, unless it 1s and 0s. :D

Funnily enough I had exactly the same thing put on my iPad 4. I sold it about three weeks ago, I had had it 18 months and got £233.00 on eBay which I thought was a good price.
I am a Star Trek fan as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.