Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Just now, when I picked up my MBP it makes a very loud crackling sound, like something in it is moving or crackling. It only makes the sound when I moved the MBP.

Anyone know what this could be?

EDIT: I just tilted the screen a bit and now I can't reproduce the crackling.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
I don't think I have heard any major creaking in macbooks for years. Certainly the ones with lots of moving parts could make some real neat noises. My favorite was the superdrive that sounded like Megatron transforming.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
I don't think I have heard any major creaking in macbooks for years. Certainly the ones with lots of moving parts could make some real neat noises. My favorite was the superdrive that sounded like Megatron transforming.

It's not creaking, it's an actual crackling sound inside the computer. Sound like something is bouncing violently inside.

ngaham

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2011
I had a similar issue. Apparently the bottom case has small springs it sits on and these can cause that noise. Take it to a store and have them verify, but thats what I was told. I ended up exchanging my macbook twice for this when it happened.

hermagerd

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2014
Since you have a MacBook pro you could try to just open the case. You don't necessarily need to rip out the motherboard, but check for loose screws or detached parts. Maybe screwing the case back on could fix the problem.

I have a similar issue with my 4 months old macBook Air. It creaks and makes snapping noises in the bottom case when i lift it or in any other way slightly bend it.

I took it to apple and they "had never heard of the problem" and wanted to charge me just to open the case and put it back on again to see if that was the problem. They said it was not covered by the guarantee either. I decided that it was a very expensive noise and took it back home without fixing it. The MacBook Pro should be easier to open, the one i have from 2012 has standard screws instead of apple ones.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Since you have a MacBook pro you could try to just open the case. You don't necessarily need to rip out the motherboard, but check for loose screws or detached parts. Maybe screwing the case back on could fix the problem.

I have a similar issue with my 4 months old macBook Air. It creaks and makes snapping noises in the bottom case when i lift it or in any other way slightly bend it.

I took it to apple and they "had never heard of the problem" and wanted to charge me just to open the case and put it back on again to see if that was the problem. They said it was not covered by the guarantee either. I decided that it was a very expensive noise and took it back home without fixing it. The MacBook Pro should be easier to open, the one i have from 2012 has standard screws instead of apple ones.

Unlike the classic MBP, the rMBP uses Pentalobe screws similarly to the MBA. A Pentalobe bit is required to open one.

hermagerd

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2014
You are right, it should be a pentalobe 1.2 mm. It should be easy to come by in a shop, but maybe not something to be found in your average garage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.