Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I am curious if the Dog & Bone case is as think as the LifeProof Nuud? The Nuud is a great case.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Dog and Bone Wetsuit VS Lunatik Aquatik(IP 6)

I am curious if the Dog & Bone case is as think as the LifeProof Nuud? The Nuud is a great case.

Unsure?? Depends on how right this info is?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417966277.969497.jpg

http://m.bestbuy.ca/?lang=en#/catalog/productdetails.aspx?ajax=true&sku=10342981&lang=en-CA

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417966355.258596.jpg

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010

Just received my redpepper case in white and also did a water test already and all is good. The case is actually very nice for the price, I can't complain. Reminds me exactly of the life proof case but with a kick stand. The Touch ID also works on my phone while in the case via a small thin membrane. I just haven't tried putting my phone in water yet while in this case, doubt I will unless it's by accident but if it happens I'd trust this case. This case works perfect for me as an occasional outdoors/vacation case, won't be my daily use case though. Overall great case for the money and I highly recommend it!

c79d48c83b75c6aed549aaeb5ce6e05e.jpg

632ba9611f5c982042d2c687200f778a.jpg

bsmithy

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
I upgraded to the iPhone 6 from iphone 5 which I used a lifeproof nuud case. I thought I would try a different brand this time as I was not 100% happy with the nuud case but loved the idea of no screen covering. I just received my dog and bone wetsuit case for the iPhone 6 and it is fantastic. Not only does it give me the no cover over the screen but it is quite skinny and looks and feels really great. I would highly recommend this case to anyone. http://www.dogandbonecases.com

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma

I upgraded to the iPhone 6 from iphone 5 which I used a lifeproof nuud case. I thought I would try a different brand this time as I was not 100% happy with the nuud case but loved the idea of no screen covering. I just received my dog and bone wetsuit case for the iPhone 6 and it is fantastic. Not only does it give me the no cover over the screen but it is quite skinny and looks and feels really great. I would highly recommend this case to anyone. http://www.dogandbonecases.com

Pics please? Been dying to see one other than on their website. According to dimensions looks substantially thicker than LP Fre? Pics?

Edit: how hard is it to reach far left or
Right of screen? Seen several complaints about different waterproof cases and having a hard time doing pull down from top of screen or anything on far edges?

Last edited:

doxzilla

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
Just received my redpepper case in white and also did a water test already and all is good. The case is actually very nice for the price, I can't complain. Reminds me exactly of the life proof case but with a kick stand. The Touch ID also works on my phone while in the case via a small thin membrane. I just haven't tried putting my phone in water yet while in this case, doubt I will unless it's by accident but if it happens I'd trust this case. This case works perfect for me as an occasional outdoors/vacation case, won't be my daily use case though. Overall great case for the money and I highly recommend it!

I've had mine on my phone for the last 24 hours and I concur however, I'll be using it as my daily case, just the same as I did with the Lifeproof case on my iPhone 5. IMO this case has noticeable improvements over the Lifeproof case in the audio department.

-Case passed the water test. Was submerged in about a foot of water for about 5 hours and there wasn't a single drop of water inside the case. I'm confident that it's water tight, but of course YMMV.

-Integrated screen protector sits mostly flat, but not 100% flush with the screen. Increases glare, but does not add a prismatic effect to the screen. Touch ID membrane has given me no problems; didn't have to redo scans or anything.

-Sound quality & volume from the speaker is only slightly diminished compared to the iPhone 5 version of the case. Also, the mic is similarly unaffected; Siri can hear and understand me just fine but phone calls sounded a little "hollow" according to the person on the other end of the line.

-Neither of the cameras are hindered by the case design and there is no "flash bleed" when the flash fires for night shots.

-Proximity sensor works, there is no accidental triggering like on earlier Lifeproof cases. Ambient light sensor is not quite as responsive but that's just a nitpick.

-The opening of the lightning port is large enough to accommodate the official lightning to USB cable as well as the Apple lightning to 30-pin adapter.

-Mute/Vibration toggle works, but is not as easy to use as the toggle on the Lifeproof, minor annoyance.

bsmithy

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
I have been using for the last week or so and haven’t had any problems with the pull down bars or any of the other phone features. easy to reach left or right.
I believe the depth is a bit more than the Fre, but still very slim. I actually prefer it. It’s a lot tougher, and I don’t feel like it’s going to break easily like I did with my old cases.

Attachments

• 20141210_160250.jpg
    20141210_160250.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 20141210_160308.jpg
    20141210_160308.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 20141210_160331.jpg
    20141210_160331.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
L
I have been using for the last week or so and haven’t had any problems with the pull down bars or any of the other phone features. easy to reach left or right.

I believe the depth is a bit more than the Fre, but still very slim. I actually prefer it. It’s a lot tougher, and I don’t feel like it’s going to break easily like I did with my old cases.

ooks good. Like that a lot. Snap a pic from side and with phone in it? Please sir?

Thanks! Looks like a keeper! Going to be your daily?

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
So, got a Lifeproof Fre earlier this week, tonight ordered Dog and Bone. May the best candidate win. I like how thin Lifeproof is but built in screen protector and its "rainbow" been my
Biggest complaint thus far.

Releck97

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
-Sound quality & volume from the speaker is only slightly diminished compared to the iPhone 5 version of the case. Also, the mic is similarly unaffected; Siri can hear and understand me just fine but phone calls sounded a little "hollow" according to the person on the other end of the line.

-The opening of the lightning port is large enough to accommodate the official lightning to USB cable as well as the Apple lightning to 30-pin adapter.

-Mute/Vibration toggle works, but is not as easy to use as the toggle on the Lifeproof, minor annoyance.

I generally agree with your review. I think this iteration of the fre' is much improved over the 5/5S, however, I was not able to use my apple branded lightning to 30 pin corded adapter. Due to this it's going back. Time to order the Dog and Bone.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
I generally agree with your review. I think this iteration of the fre' is much improved over the 5/5S, however, I was not able to use my apple branded lightning to 30 pin corded adapter. Due to this it's going back. Time to order the Dog and Bone.

I wish my D&B was here already! Lol

malochico1

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2012
I keep coming back waiting to see pics! common we are counting on you!
D&B wetsuit is one good user review away from getting my business..Lol

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
I keep coming back waiting to see pics! common we are counting on you!

D&B wetsuit is one good user review away from getting my business..Lol

Bad news... Since it apparently came from Taiwan, and not Australia like I expected it was a sign to receive thing from USPS. Will have it in morning

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Got case today. Used it a little bit will write some more info this evening. Few things I like and a few things I don't, so far anyways. If it helps I like it about equally as Lifeproof Fre, even with D&G drawbacks.

Stay tuned...

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma

Alright fellas, as promised. A few pics and what I have to say about Wetsuit. I have never done any reviews, formal nor informal, so excuse my jumbled mess but feel free to reply with any other specifics you have. In some ways it will be compared to LifeProof Fre.

What I like:
- Just the right amount of grip, less slip. Textured "diamond" pattern on back is good. Definitely adds some weight to the phone. Definitely feels solid in hand and well protected.
-Has provisions for all external mic holes etc on actual phone.
-Mute Switch... Not perfect but MUCH more refined and usable than that of Lifeproof Fre.
-Buttons and bottom plug are made of a grippy soft rubber. Buttons are mostly recessed/flush into case but feel able. (Case comes with extra port plug on bottom)
-Like that screen is "nude" but some sort of screen protector is included that I haven't tried.
-I like that it doesn't appear I'm limited to Apple only chargers as I am with LifeProof(will have to find non Apple charger to verify but port hole is bigger around that lightning end whereas on LP case apple charger barely fits).
-Fingerprint Scanner seems to work as equally well for me on D&G as it does LP. I've learned to just press home button and it unlocks phone just as well as laying thumb on it.
-For my eyes, opinion, this case is much more appealing to the eye. I like that I have something everyone and mother won't have like the Lifeproof. Something different!!

What I don't like(so far):
-Almost impossible to drag bottom quick toggle panel up to access flashlight etc. Reached out to D&G about this and you can see their response attached. With this it should be noted difficulties with space bar typing as well, but it's tolerable once I've gotten used to it.
-Sound quality is kind of... Not muffled really but echo-ish. Not unbearable but definitely noticeable amount.
-Speaker phone not nearly as loud and clear as LP. Unsure if bottom on front two holes are supposed to be for speaker or not but more sound comes out bottom than anywhere.
-Thicker than LP by quite an amount but as noted above, this could be con and pro depending on how you look at it. Case feels much sturdier and protected than that of LP case.
-Could also be con that volume up/down buttons are basically flush with sides.
-Around home button case is relatively thick. Sometimes takes fineness to get thumb in thumb place for reader, but does work well.

Included in box, as I said is screen protector, test "phone"/block, headphone adapter thing and extra set of speaker and charger plugs for bottom of the phone.

Ok, on to meat at potatoes...pics now follow. First pic will be that of what D&G said about bottom toggle panel access..

Ok scratch that uploading pics to Dropbox stupid Tapatalk not letting me upload pics right... Meh. One sec link will be attached...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0yevd42jgziwiui/AABoA4xYfy-viRdzX0D56qJZa?dl=0

(It should also be noted I have not water tested case yet but see no visual reason as to why it would fail)

After I realized how long this was, maybe I should've created my own "review" thread. Facepalm lol

MY VERDICT: several pros and cons for this ascetic to the eye case. Looks sophisticated, has a good stout sturdy feel and its "nude." At this second Id have a very hard time deciding between it and LifeProof. (I certainly hope these cases become easier to attain for mainstream and get into some brick and mortar stores soon.) This is a top notch, overall well thought out case. I think if it came down to this minute to decide I'm going to pick Dog and Bone Wetsuit OVER the Lifeproof. I feel much more protected using this case, and charger flexibility as well as a working mute switch sell me!!

And again, if you have any questions please let me know!!!

Thanks,

Blaine

Last edited:

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
Alright fellas, as promised. A few pics and what I have to say about Wetsuit...

Thanks for the review and pics, good job. They finally announced their 6+ case the other day and LifeProof hasn't offered any news about their 6+ case, so it looks like I'll be picking up the D&B case soon.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks for the review and pics, good job. They finally announced their 6+ case the other day and LifeProof hasn't offered any news about their 6+ case, so it looks like I'll be picking up the D&B case soon.

I believe they released wetsuit for 6+ already. I'd swore I saw something about them being sold out already though? Hmm

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
I believe they released wetsuit for 6+ already. I'd swore I saw something about them being sold out already though? Hmm

Right on both counts. Now I just have to wait until they have it in stock. LifeProof has only said it will be some time in 2015 for their 6+ case.

Leggee

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2014
Japan
Excellent review dude. Everything I need to know. Picture 8 was the clincher. It's just a bit bigger/thicker than I want. Still, it looks a good decent case. I'll stick with the LP till I see how the Aquatik shapes up.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks guys!! #

Anyone have any other questions? As mentioned in post before this case is a little thicker than LP BUT I can't express how much more protected and sturdy the phone feels in hand. This case is petty sweet lol

Side note: this thing is rather difficult to get apart. Seen a lot of people dropping LP Fre and its corner opening...well im not going to drop my phone but I can almost bet this thing won't come apart or open on its own.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Thanks guys!! #

Anyone have any other questions? As mentioned in post before this case is a little thicker than LP BUT I can't express how much more protected and sturdy the phone feels in hand. This case is petty sweet lol

Side note: this thing is rather difficult to get apart. Seen a lot of people dropping LP Fre and its corner opening...well im not going to drop my phone but I can almost bet this thing won't come apart or open on its own.

How does the speaker sound with it? My big thing is the speakers deflected to the front vs staying on the side like it is.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
How does the speaker sound with it? My big thing is the speakers deflected to the front vs staying on the side like it is.

I don't think it really deflects sound that well to front on D&G. When playing a song, more comes out bottom than front in my opinion. Unfortunate to say, LP and D&G don't sound that well. It isn't unbearable by any means but definitely muffles speaker phone sound a tiny amount. Using ear speaker it kind of reverberates a little but again, not bad. When using external speaker LP and D&G really are so close when compared... BUT I think when it comes to ear speaker, LP wins marginally. Confused yet? Lol answer your questions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.