Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
In the last month I've bought four Air 2's. Three as gifts and kept one for myself.

I can confirm there are no screen issues when I pounce on the back of mine from my couch. Next up: flinging it like a frisbee from my second story deck.

:rolleyes:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
If a unit is defective it deserves to be retuned. When paying a premium price, customers deserve better. Why settle for backlight bleed, screen distortion, yellow screens, or excessive vibration? If you are happy, fine – just don’t tell others that known problems simply do not exist.

There is nothing like a "premium price", out of this forum.
An iPad doesn't cost 3000$. It starts from $499, a reasonable price for a commercial grade product, with manufacturing tolerances.
And yes, in my opinion most of the times yellow screens, backlight bleed or "excessive vibrations" are an non issue, if not for some picky customers.
It's my opinion, backed up by personal experience, and I'm entitled to have one, like it or not.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
There is nothing like a "premium price", out of this forum.
An iPad doesn't cost 3000$. It starts from $499, a reasonable price for a commercial grade product, with manufacturing tolerances.
And yes, in my opinion most of the times yellow screens, backlight bleed or "excessive vibrations" are an non issue, if not for some picky customers.
It's my opinion, backed up by personal experience, and I'm entitled to have one, like it or not.

No one said an iPad costs $3,000.
Apple is indeed a premium priced brand. Most tablets on the market today cost less than Apple’s entry price point. Yellow tinted screens, backlight bleed, screen distortions and sound vibrations are indeed real problems that hopefully will be resolved in the next iteration.

By the way, go out and actually purchase an iPad Air 2. Try it out for a couple of weeks. Then come back and give a credible review.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
No one said an iPad costs $3,000.
Apple is indeed a premium priced brand. Most tablets on the market today cost less than Apple’s entry price point. Yellow tinted screens, backlight bleed, screen distortions and sound vibrations are indeed real problems that hopefully will be resolved in the next iteration.

By the way, go out and actually purchase an iPad Air 2. Try it out for a couple of weeks. Then come back and give a credible review.

The premium price is your definition. IPads costs a comparable price with other brands high range devices.
Those issues, most of the times (there are lemons, for sure) are not real in my eyes, as I verified in tons of threads on this very forum.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
The premium price is your definition. IPads costs a comparable price with other brands high range devices.
Those issues, most of the times (there are lemons, for sure) are not real in my eyes, as I verified in tons of threads on this very forum.

That’s not what I said. I said that Apple is a premium brand, which includes its tablets, which can cost up to $830 before tax – in its most upper price class.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
That’s not what I said. I said that Apple is a premium brand, which includes its tablets, which can cost up to $830 before tax – in its most upper price class.

You can't support the claim that Apple products are "premium" by quoting the top end price. By that measure, Windows PCs must also be premium because they can cost as much as $4,000.

The correct way to compare products is to compare like products. Apple's products cost about the same as competitor's comparable products.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
You can't support the claim that Apple products are "premium" by quoting the top end price. By that measure, Windows PCs must also be premium because they can cost as much as $4,000.

The correct way to compare products is to compare like products. Apple's products cost about the same as competitor's comparable products.

Well you are half right. You have to compare products by their price class – two tablets with same screen resolution and size with same capacity (16GB, 64GB,128GB).

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

The display of the iPad is the same on every version, including the $499. So that's the standard.

MrT-Man

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
Well, I *finally* got my hands on an iPad with a perfect screen, but it was quite a pain. All I was looking for was an iPad with a screen as good as the display models in the Apple store.

I bought & returned three Mini 3s. Each of them had varying degrees of yellow tint towards the lower third of the screen. I decided to give up on the Mini, and went for an Air 2, thinking I might have better odds of getting one with a good screen. My first Air 2 also had some yellow tint towards the bottom, as well as a pretty warm color temperature overall and a bit of the bookspine issue along an edge.

The second Air 2 I just picked up is pretty much perfect!! Whoever the screen supplier is, it's the one with the slightly cold color temperature, which gives very crisp whites, and the color / backlighting are pretty even across the screen with no defects that jump out.

On the one hand I feel guilty about the hassle & costs I'm creating for others by buying and returning -- but on the other hand, as I said, all I wanted was an iPad that looked as good as the ones on display. Thankfully I now have one.

I love Apple, though I'm very annoyed at the inconsistency in the displays that they use. I guess they must be weighing the cost savings of using multiple suppliers versus the fact that 97% of the population probably doesn't notice or care about the screen flaws that are so obvious to me and to other people in this thread.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
My iPad Air 2, along with my girlfriends and moms iPad Air 2 all have this super rare and sacred perfect screen

You guys are making a big deal out of nothing

Danilo - Italy

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2014

I agree 100%

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
A Dodge RAM Big Horn truck and a Dodge RAM Limited truck both have the exact same windshields – your point is moot.

No, it's not, since you are judging the display, that is probably the most important part of a tablet.
Your comparison with a truck is ridiculous....

----------

My iPad Air 2, along with my girlfriends and moms iPad Air 2 all have this super rare and sacred perfect screen

You guys are making a big deal out of nothing

As usual on forums like this. It's the same for every single product Apple release. Every single one.
And they still sell millions....

MrT-Man

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
Here's a pic of three iPad Airs. The top two are iPad Air 2 models, the bottom one is a an iPad Air 1. They're all on max brightness.

If you spent $1,000 on the top one and you compared it side by side to the bottom one, wouldn't you be at least a little bit annoyed? Wouldn't you want the crisp white shown in the middle one or especially the bottom one?

Attachments

• DSC04755.jpg
    DSC04755.jpg
    589.3 KB · Views: 347

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
No, it's not, since you are judging the display, that is probably the most important part of a tablet.
Your comparison with a truck is ridiculous....

----------

As usual on forums like this. It's the same for every single product Apple release. Every single one.
And they still sell millions....

Since you clearly do not understand the truck comparison (which makes sense), let me further explain. The two vehicles are both Dodge RAM pick-up trucks. The Big Horn is a lower price class with less features, while the other is a Limited price class with more features — they both share the same windshield, yet they are two different price classes of the very same vehicle line.

Such is the same with the iPad — the same tablet but different price classes. The 16GB, 64GB and 128GB — all iPads that share the same screen, but are in three different price classes. Those price classes are entry level (16GB), mid level (64GB) and premium level (128GB).

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Here's a pic of three iPad Airs. The top two are iPad Air 2 models, the bottom one is a an iPad Air 1. They're all on max brightness.

If you spent $1,000 on the top one and you compared it side by side to the bottom one, wouldn't you be at least a little bit annoyed? Wouldn't you want the crisp white shown in the middle one or especially the bottom one?

the bottom one's slightly brighter. is that the problem?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

Actually no.
I can't see any issue with any of those iPads. A slightly warmer tone is not a defect.

----------

Since you clearly do not understand the truck comparison (which makes sense), let me further explain. The two vehicles are both Dodge RAM pick-up trucks. The Big Horn is a lower price class with less features, while the other is a Limited price class with more features — they both share the same windshield, yet they are two different price classes of the very same vehicle line.

Such is the same with the iPad — the same tablet but different price classes. The 16GB, 64GB and 128GB — all iPads that share the same screen, but are in three different price classes. Those price classes are entry level (16GB), mid level (64GB) and premium level (128GB).

It still remains an useless comparison....

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002

If you spent $1,000 on the top one and you compared it side by side to the bottom one, wouldn't you be at least a little bit annoyed?

Not at all. They all look good to me. As a rule, never compare screens side by side. You will always be disappointed by one of them.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Not at all. They all look good to me. As a rule, never compare screens side by side. You will always be disappointed by one of them.

Post like that are a good example of the typical hysteria surrounding Apple's products. People keep returning perfectly working units. Fortunately (for them) Apple allows that, to keep customers. And I strongly suspects that to be a behavior typical of forum like this users, not widespread.
But it really amuses me every year to see a new thread about how awful the display is, with picture showing what seems to be a more than acceptable screen :D

MrT-Man

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
I'm not disputing that even the top screen in the shot I posted is prefectly useable. I'm just pointing out that a) there can be a significant amount of variation between screens, and b) if you're spending that kind of money, why wouldn't you insist on getting the best screen possible?

Maybe I'm more attuned to the color differences because I spent a few years doing graphic design, and I also spend a lot of time editing/color correcting photos. You guys are probably confirming that 95% of people don't notice or don't care, which is why Apple doesn't bother fixing the issue.

Either way, when I'm reading my morning news, I want the background to be a crisp white, not yellowish grey, and I also don't want to be distracted by color variations between the top half and bottom half of the screen. Apple is all about getting the details right, and that's why I love their products. So it makes it all the more jarring when the details aren't quite right on a particular unit.

At any rate, I now have an iPad I'm perfectly happy with, so I'll go back to using it rather than arguing with you guys about screen issues that, to my eyes (but apparently not to some of yours), are glaringly obvious.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
I'm not disputing that even the top screen in the shot I posted is prefectly useable. I'm just pointing out that a) there can be a significant amount of variation between screens, and b) if you're spending that kind of money, why wouldn't you insist on getting the best screen possible?

Maybe I'm more attuned to the color differences because I spent a few years doing graphic design, and I also spend a lot of time editing/color correcting photos. You guys are probably confirming that 95% of people don't notice or don't care, which is why Apple doesn't bother fixing the issue.

Either way, when I'm reading my morning news, I want the background to be a crisp white, not yellowish grey, and I also don't want to be distracted by color variations between the top half and bottom half of the screen. Apple is all about getting the details right, and that's why I love their products. So it makes it all the more jarring when the details aren't quite right on a particular unit.

At any rate, I now have an iPad I'm perfectly happy with, so I'll go back to using it rather than arguing with you guys about screen issues that, to my eyes (but apparently not to some of yours), are glaringly obvious.

$500 just isn't all that much money for this kind of device. I don't know why people think they're getting a Rolls Royce when they're only paying for a BMW. Apple only costs a bit more than competitors. Their products are still mass produced. Perfection at that scale and price point just isn't possible.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012

Agree with you. I'm not getting into whether it is a premium price issue or not, but I want a white screen with no color variations and if that screen exists I will make a few returns to try to get it. I returned 3 iPad 4s and 3 Airs before getting a screen I was satisfied with. This year I've given up on perfection and have an iPhone 6 and Air 2 that aren't perfect but are good enough. Returning iPads is not fun and not something I enjoy. My Air 2 has the screen distortion and sound vibration and that doesn't bother me at all. I can't stand yellow on a screen, but the faint bluish book spine effect on the left of my Air 2 I'm okay with, which is good because most of the ones in the Apple store I looked at had this.

Last edited:

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Who got a perfect screen on the Air 2?

wifi/cell 64gb silver ... no problem with the screen. it is actually fine =) on the other hand the wifi version has terrible distortions :/ so it was 50/50 lottery... not sure should i send it to apple or not. (Both are from the factory DM.)

Last edited:

jmerk3

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2014
Uniformity/Yellowing of screen

I've been closely following the threads on the Air 2's screen issues and felt compelled to register an account and contribute to some of the things mentioned. I purchased an iPad Air 2 Space Gray 64GB in November and noticed a stark yellowing on the left side and a crisp blue-white on the right side of the screen. So, upset, I returned the device in for another (same specs). The second device had the same issue. I played the lottery once more, and now the third device has the issue - the screen seems to be even warmer on the left side compared with the first two. As a note, I purchased these devices at Best Buy and they've been accommodating with the returns/swaps.

So now, I'm not sure if I should continue to play this lottery or return this device and wait a few months, then jump into the fold again.

Last edited:

harrypham

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
SA, Texas
I've been closely following the threads on the Air 2's screen issues and felt compelled to register an account and contribute to some of the things mentioned. I purchased a iPad Air 2 Space Gray 64GB in November and noticed a stark yellowing on the left side and a crisp blue-white on the ride side of the screen, so, upset, I returned the device in for another (same specs). The second device had the same issue. I played the lottery once more, and now the third device has the issue - the screen seems to be even warmer on the left side compared with the first two. As a note, I purchased these devices at Best Buy and they've been accommodating with the returns/swaps.

So now, I'm not sure if I should continue to play this lottery or return this device and wait a few months, then jump into the fold again.
You should purchase from apple.com because they usually ship iPads whose serial numbers begin with DM. In my opinion, DM iPads often have "perfect" screens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.