Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
OT: memory management in OS X Mavericks

… use all the memory …

Off-toipc: that's optimal. Please read about interpreting memory pressure and so on.

There's an Apple support article for Activity Monitor.

(When I last checked, some of the help that's integral to the operating system was wrong for at least one aspect of memory management.)

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Off-toipc: that's optimal. Please read about interpreting memory pressure and so on.

It's not optimal when parallels has to load up and takes an extra few minutes to allocate memory, whereas after a reboot it will load instantly. It's fine being optimal, but leave some space for a new app to run.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
...but leave some space for a new app to run.

Nice thought but an OS can't predict whether, when, if or which app you might launch, its only option would be to leave memory unused/wasted (delete depending on your point of view), but then how much to leave space for - Aperture? Dropbox? Assume the worst?

That sounds like a route to Windoze-esque memory management, keep as much as possible empty....just in case....

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
After upgrading, having issues with some stuff, clean installing and still have the same issues + major UI lag on a 2 year Macbook Pro, I got fed up and upgraded back to Mavericks. Man, I almost forgot how my rMBP runs.

Imo, Yosemite looks way better. Loved the new design but when it comes to performance, that OS just plain sucks. I guess I'll only be upgrading again when the new one comes out so I'm sure Yosemite is good to go but, with so many things to address and Apple continuing to release a new OS every year, I don't know if that will ever happen.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
After upgrading, having issues with some stuff, clean installing and still have the same issues + major UI lag on a 2 year Macbook Pro, I got fed up and upgraded back to Mavericks.

You might have achieved the same by turning off some of the features within Yosemite (transparency for UI lag, Handoff for WiFi dropouts etc). It would have left you an easier update path and the Yosemite UI....just a thought.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
That sounds like a route to Windoze-esque memory management, keep as much as possible empty....just in case....

Balance is the answer. Windows annoys me too, hammering the swap file when there's masses of memory unused.

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
You might have achieved the same by turning off some of the features within Yosemite (transparency for UI lag, Handoff for WiFi dropouts etc). It would have left you an easier update path and the Yosemite UI....just a thought.

Turning transparency off in Yosemite looks horrible imo. The menu bar, dock, and pop up dialogs (brightness, volume) all loose the transparency as well. Wish they'd left the option to keep transparency on for those.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012

It looked awful tbh and, although it helped, it didn't bring back the smoothness Mavericks provides. Mainly with two monitors the lag was unbearable.

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
It looked awful tbh and, although it helped, it didn't bring back the smoothness Mavericks provides. Mainly with two monitors the lag was unbearable.

They never tested that over at Cupertino? Nobody uses 2 displays over there?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

What are you running for displays? I run 2x U2410s at native resolution and they run fine - with no difference from Mavericks to Yosemite.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Besides the bad GUI, buggy.

Yeah, buggy... still buggy. Lots of sound related issues.

I always liked apple as their stuff used to be stable.

No, Apple's no better than anyone else when it comes to smooth upgrades. It's not at all surprising that the latest upgrades are glitchy because they're not much more or not much less glitchy than the old upgrade cycles. I think people may get this impression that Apple has bulletproof QA testing for their software releases because the earlier releases of iOS were mostly clean... but iOS is far more complex than it was during the golden Jobs era.

Mac OS is no stranger to disatrous upgrades. I can't remember which OS it was and it may go all the way back to OS9, but they had one upgrade that destroyed all of your data for a tiny number of people.

I'm not thrilled about my Yosemite experience. It's not bad enough that I'd say I regret doing so, but I really should have waited. I wanted to get it over with while I had a little extra time to get used to the new OS.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
I guess they don't. I understand that there are always issues with upgrades and, if I wanted a close to perfect experience I should've waited but I'm an early adopter since Leopard (started using Macs with Tiger) and this is, by far, the worst experience with OS X.

What are you running for displays? I run 2x U2410s at native resolution and they run fine - with no difference from Mavericks to Yosemite.
The Retina on my Macbook Pro running a scaled 1680x1050 and a Asus VX239H through HDMI running native 1080p. After some uptime and some windows running on both screens the lag was just purely ridiculous. The Manu Bar redraws were annoying as well and some times I had time to click 4/5 times on the same spot before the window activated and whatever I had done actually happened. Minimising/maximising windows was painful to watch and if Mission Control animations ran as high as 10FPS I'd be surprised.

Again, clean installation with no Time Machine backup restored.

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
I guess they don't. I understand that there are always issues with upgrades and, if I wanted a close to perfect experience I should've waited but I'm an early adopter since Leopard (started using Macs with Tiger) and this is, by far, the worst experience with OS X.
Developers/programmers that don't use multiple displays. First I've heard…

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
I don't understand what's up with the sarcasm. If I was the only one complaining about this or if I hadn't tried doing a clean install, you could mock me all you wanted but I am not the only one (nor I make part of a group of 5 people) and I tried a clean install only to experience the same. Suddenly I get back to Mavericks and everything is fine. Pure coincidence.

But hey, they may use two monitor setups. What they don't use for sure is Wifi :p

Btw, if I didn't understand this right and if there was no sarcasm at all on your post, I apologise.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

Don't make the mistake of thinking the production dev guys will be running the latest Yosemite beta on their production workstations so such bugs will get fixed first:

a) That is what test environments are for.
b) They aren't just producing code for other developers, where any bug sits in the fix priority will be determined by the code area and its relation to other dev/fix coding work going on and the deployment cycle.

Imagine almost all the recent market share growth of Mac's has come from the consumer end, these machines may never see a second display.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Well the great Apple in the sky must be hating on me and getting revenge for the negative things I've been saying about the Yosemite upgrade because I just applied a Windows 8.1 update to a partition managed with Parallels to run Windows. The update bricked my Windows 8.1 install and it turns out there's an issue with my Time Machine backup of my Windows partition so bye bye Windows 8.1.

What is even more ridiculous is that it's not like I was running a lot of system extensions that could have confused Windows Update. I was barely running anything on that Win 8.1 install because I hated Windows 8.1 so much I kept all of my Windows usage to my Windows 7 install.

I didn't lose much and it's not that big of a deal. It'll just cost me time to get Win 8.1 reinstalled and configured again.

I'm still having issues with Yosemite... but the Win 8.1 issues are far worse... Then again, I didn't seem to have any problems running Windows using Parallels on Mavericks... Hmmm....

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
My rMBP runs better on Yo than it did on Mavs. I have zero issues with Yosemite; with Mavericks I had ongoing sleep/wake issues.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
App Store ratings for OS X Yosemite

Go to the app store and read the reviews on Yosemite. Reads like a horror story. I'm waiting another 4-5 months before considering the update.

The star ratings alone tell a story.

Average: two stars from UK App Store voters a few days ago. Two stars now in France …

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.