Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1ONE

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
I have a 2011 iMac and my Superdrive seems to no longer burn discs. I have tried both Verbatim AZO CDRs and Maxell CDRs. Getting write errors with both. The Verbatim's are some of the better blank media you can get so...I'm stumped.

Have tried cleaning my superdrive with a can of compressed air to no avail.

I purchased AppleCare+ when we purchased the Mac, exactly 3 years ago to the month. I think I'm past the expiration on it though.

I'm thinking about just purchasing a stand alone optical drive, any suggestions?

Last edited:

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
check your warranty status
https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

ask the genius for help. he might be willing to let you slide and replace your optical drive

a lot of the optical drives are the same on different macs, some use the mounting bracket like the macbook pro, and some others don't like the mac mini. you can get used optical drives from eBay.

if you buy the real deal from eBay, make sure you get the real apple drive.
it should say "apple shipping drive" in system report, and have apple stickers on the drive

maybe you can say you have been having problems for a couple months and this is the first time you had a chance to go there

1ONE

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
check your warranty status
https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

ask the genius for help. he might be willing to let you slide and replace your optical drive

a lot of the optical drives are the same on different macs, some use the mounting bracket like the macbook pro, and some others don't like the mac mini. you can get used optical drives from eBay.

if you buy the real deal from eBay, make sure you get the real apple drive.
it should say "apple shipping drive" in system report, and have apple stickers on the drive

maybe you can say you have been having problems for a couple months and this is the first time you had a chance to go there

It has been acting flakey probably for 6 months but this is the first time it ever just would not write a CDR or DVR+R.

I'll give Apple a try first and if they won't replace at least it won't cost a fortune to get something that will do the job.

1ONE

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
Thanks folks for the responses. I ended up talking to Apple yesterday afternoon and we tried a few things...including doing a shut down Command+Option+P+R or something to clear the cache on the DVD Rom?

Anyway, I think I personally may have figured out what was partially at issue. The media I'm using now are Verbatim AZO CDRs (mainly those, anyway). And they seem to like to be written at the "maximum possible" speed. I always had written media at the slowest possible (1x). Either that or I just had some bad discs.

I seem to be up and running now though, so far. I'm glad to not have to replace anything yet. But comforted in the knowledge that if the Superdrive ever does finally go caput a stand alone option is very viable.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Thanks folks for the responses. I ended up talking to Apple yesterday afternoon and we tried a few things...including doing a shut down Command+Option+P+R or something to clear the cache on the DVD Rom?

Anyway, I think I personally may have figured out what was partially at issue. The media I'm using now are Verbatim AZO CDRs (mainly those, anyway). And they seem to like to be written at the "maximum possible" speed. I always had written media at the slowest possible (1x). Either that or I just had some bad discs.

I seem to be up and running now though, so far. I'm glad to not have to replace anything yet. But comforted in the knowledge that if the Superdrive ever does finally go caput a stand alone option is very viable.

Glad to hear that the problem is solved! Happy burning!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.