Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IIeBoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Can anyone help me track down the make and model of the green or amber composite monitor my parents had for our family Apple //e. I can't find any sign of it on eBay or Google Images (but lots of photos of Amber Heard which is quite distracting), yet my memory is distinct...

- It wasn't Apple branded I think
- It had little or no visible bezel (plastic frame) around the screen
- Quite rounded, not a square looking monitor
- Just sheer shiny perspex from edge to edge, but this was tinted dark to hide what must've been a normal thickness bezel
- That front perspex was curved, almost like you were looking at the front of a cathode ray tube out of its housing
- The case sides and top were more standard
- I think it had a pivoting stand below, that would slide-rock back and forth, changing the angle but also tucking the front base backward as it rocked
- Overall quite 70s "futuristic" looking
- Sold in the UK at least, around 1980

Resembled the Indesit T12 B&W TV in shape, but with the aforementioned stand, green screen, beige case, and rounding down to more of a pinch at the back rather than the boxy shape:
16101999.jpg

Thank you!!

Last edited:

IIeBoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Damn, that's not it. Unlike that one, you couldn't see the edges of the frame through the glass. Also there were no buttons on the front that I recall. It was also less square overall, and more CRT shaped. Thanks for the idea though!

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
There's another one my school had a few of. The controls were on the top. There were 3 rotary controls. Power, Brightness and contrast. They were a bit smaller case than the Sanyo and we had green & amber versions. Sadly, their name eludes me.

IIeBoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Yikes. It's possible. I wish I could remember where the controls were. I'm hopeful someone here will have an idea. Thank you!

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
I can't find a great picture but the one with the three controls on the top might have been a 12" Taxan KG-12NUY monitor.

Attachments

• KG-12NUY BW.jpg
    KG-12NUY BW.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 301
  • monochrome Taxan KG-12NUY.jpg
    monochrome Taxan KG-12NUY.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 480

IIeBoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Really appreciate that, but alas not the one. It was more "squircle" shaped (rounded rectangle), where those are quite square and blocky.

Somewhere between your pictures and this one, but green screen and had the stand I described:

IMG_8272.jpg

Last edited:

IIeBoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Bump in hope someone new recognizes my description.

IIeBoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Here's a rough drawing of what I'm looking for, from 35 year old memories.
05bd9c89486348537502cef03266e856.jpg

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
dunno-- I read inCider, but I'm in the US.

I should point out that the Apple //e was released in 1983. The II was 1977, the II plus was 1979. The III came out in 1980, which might explain why its compatibility is, from our standpoint, quite limited.

Last edited:

IIeBoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
dunno-- I read inCider, but I'm in the US.

I should point out that the Apple //e was released in 1983. The II was 1977, the II plus was 1979. The III came out in 1980, which might explain why its compatibility is, from our standpoint, quite limited.
Thanks! You're right, 1983. I will ask on a retro Apple forum too.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
There was another magazine from that period. A+. I don't know why we subscribed to inCider, and not A+. Might have been the BASIC listings.

(We had a monitor III greenscreen, an Amdek monitor for games, and an Apple IIe that eventually received a IIgs motherboard swap.)

Reactions: IIeBoy

IIeBoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
you could consult the ads in computer magazines from the period.
for instance:
https://archive.org/details/your-computer-magazine

of course, most of the ads utilized black and white line art, or consisted simply of price lists with no art.
There are some real gems in those mags! I've read about a year's worth.

Plenty of pics of monitors too, but sadly none of my one. I'm thinking it was a rare budget brand that my dad somehow picked up.

Reactions: jerwin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.