Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
What do you mean that there are no 64-bit apps? There are no apps that require 64-bit yet that I am aware of, but that doesn't mean that there are no apps that take advantage of the 64-bit instruction set. Pixelmator is one such example that may technically run on an older iPad but I wouldn't recommend it on anything less than an iPad Air or mini 2.

There is.

Epic Zen Garden (not really an app, but a demonstrator of Metal and Unreal Engine capabilities) requires a 64-bit processor. It won't run on anything less than an A7.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
OP, I think a 5c is a fine gift. It's a great phone and even though storage would be limited to 8GB, if you know your family member's use case and know that will be enough for them, great!

As others mentioned though, I'm curious about the contract situation. I wouldn't purchase a new phone for a family member with their upgrade signing them on to another two years. This is just my opinion and no offense intended, but it just doesn't seem to be a real gift then.

I bought my wife an unlocked, contract free 5s for Christmas. Her 5 is broken and she tried using my 6 for a while but she just cannot use it very well one handed as her hands are very tiny. Sure, the unlocked phone was more costly, but I wouldn't think of signing her up for a new contract because it would tie her down for another two years. With the unlocked 5s, she can return it if she'd rather have a 6 or sell it down the road when she wants to upgrade. If budget is an issue, maybe you can get a used 5c instead of one on contract.

Anyway, just a few random thoughts. Any recent iPhone is a nice gift and I'm sure your family member will be very appreciative!

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I was thinking about the contract too.. If you are adding them to your account and paying for them, then I see that as a very nice gift, but if you are upping their contract for two more years with a $0 price subsidized phone (5C 8gb), then I don't see how that is a gift. Sorry, we just don't know who's contract you are upping.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
I was thinking about the contract too.. If you are adding them to your account and paying for them, then I see that as a very nice gift, but if you are upping their contract for two more years with a $0 price subsidized phone (5C 8gb), then I don't see how that is a gift. Sorry, we just don't know who's contract you are upping.

Thanks

Yes, this is my account their phone is on, and plus it give me the opportunity to give them other things like cases, etc.

I sure appreciate all the feedback that has been offered. Happy Holidays.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Thanks

Yes, this is my account their phone is on, and plus it give me the opportunity to give them other things like cases, etc.

I sure appreciate all the feedback that has been offered. Happy Holidays.

The the 5C is absolutely a good gift. Sounds like the intended recipient isn't that big of a power user, so the 8GB, while tight, would be OK.

Would a 16GB 5S be a better gift, sure, but the 5C is good too.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Thanks again for all the feedback!

The iPhone 5C went over great! I ended up getting only the 8GB current model due to availability, particularly of the green I had a clue they wanted.

I'm a bit jealous. I've had ever phone besides the 5C and 6 Plus (I have regular 6).

The 5C feels GREAT in your hand. Really awesome looking. It was a better design for "feel," than the 5 & 5S in my opinion.

The storage is very tight, but they had the same apps I put on when I gave them the 4S years ago, so hopefully it will be ok. Also, I setup the Photo iCloud library to only keep the "device resolution," photos, and that freed up another 1 GB of so from the photos they had already on the old phone. This is a newish feature, and it seems to work to save that little bit of storage on phones where storage is almost out.

It would have been PERFECT at 16 GB, but you can't always get everything perfect I guess.

The phone is very cool though. I wish I could have played with longer, but I only had the chore to set it up after they opened it. I loved it too. They keep telling me how much faster everything is compared to the 4S, I think it's minimal difference, but I did notice it too.

They said they greatly preferred the 5C over the 5S because of the "look," the performance and camera wasn't worth it to them. To each their own I guess. I think the only complaint is that Apple should have made this same phone, at the same price, but kept it at 16GB.

Thanks again everyone.

Slimmyhendrix

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
MN
I loved my 5c I had for 2 months. Best feeling phone in my hands than any other phone I have used. It was a little heavy though and got hot when used for extended periods of time like playing games

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.