Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Okay so the thing is that people are neglecting the fact that iOS devices have 2 partitions - the User partition (where you have ~55GB available) and the System partition. The system partition takes up a percentage of the total available storage depending on the model of iPhone, and as someone else mentioned, the conversion from GiB > GB has more of a disparity the higher you go.

Thread over :)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Okay so the thing is that people are neglecting the fact that iOS devices have 2 partitions - the User partition (where you have ~55GB available) and the System partition. The system partition takes up a percentage of the total available storage depending on the model of iPhone, and as someone else mentioned, the conversion from GiB > GB has more of a disparity the higher you go.

Thread over :)
That's already been established in pages 1&2. Why the system partition needs to be 2x the size on a 128GB iPad vs 16GB, who knows? If you have an actual explanation, I'd be glad to hear (well, read) it.

Now if you actually wanted this thread to be over, the better option would have been not replying instead of just repeating information already mentioned in previous posts. :rolleyes:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I learned from terraphantm's post that the reason for this is most likely the size of the root partition which lead to the correct "research parameters". I also learned that if I jailbreak (granted not available yet for iOS 8), I can reduce the size of the root partition so I have more space for my media. From that, I also learned it was possible to have a pagefile on the drive (stored on the root partition) to minimize those pesky Safari tab refreshes. I'd say for me, yes it was a productive discussion. :)

I realize you enjoy the discussion; you comprise likely 50% of the posts in the thread. I was more asking about the folks, in general, who complain about "missing space". Do you all feel like it is justified now, somehow? We have a likely reason. It effectively boils down to "because that is how Apple wanted to do it".

Killchain

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2013
Albuquerque,NM
1 GiB = 2^30 Bytes = 1,073,741,824 Bytes

128,000,000,000 Bytes / 1,073,741,824 Bytes/GiB = 119.2 GiB

If you go to Settings - General - About, you'll probably find Capacity is ~114GB (at least that's the number reported by 6 Plus users).

Assuming you're talking about the difference between Capacity and expected storage, we're guessing it because of a bigger root partition (where system files, cache, etc are stored).

Estimated root partition sizes for various capacities (iPhone 6/6+):
16GB: 2.4 GiB
64GB: 3.9 GiB
128GB: 5.2 GiB

Now if you meant "Other" storage, it could be cached mail, messages, old app data, etc.

SNAP! My lightbulb came I forgot about partitions. Thank you for the reply.

kikmeister

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2014
I just purchased an iPad Air 2 64gb today. Out of the box I found 52gb of usable storage. It came pre-installed with iLife and iWork. So I guess 12gb went to partition, iOS, and pre-installed apps (iLife and iWork).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.