Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
No, a real battery-operated watch can work without recharging for 6 months at a bare minimum, it does not mean that it only tells time.

A battery-operated watch usually gets that much run time precisely because it doesn't do much beyond tell time, and maybe act as a timer and stopwatch that people use only very infrequently. It's like how my very first nokia phone could go for almost a week before needing to charge (because I only used it for calls and sms, and it wasn't constantly tethered to the internet).

Start sporting a high-res display, and do the processing that an Apple watch will do, and I daresay that any rumoured Tag-heur-branded smart watch won't last much longer either.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
A battery-operated watch usually gets that much run time precisely because it doesn't do much beyond tell time, and maybe act as a timer and stopwatch that people use only very infrequently. It's like how my very first nokia phone could go for almost a week before needing to charge (because I only used it for calls and sms, and it wasn't constantly tethered to the internet).

Start sporting a high-res display, and do the processing that an Apple watch will do, and I daresay that any rumoured Tag-heur-branded smart watch won't last much longer either.

And that's where you go wrong. A smartwatch does not need to have a screen.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Do you understand English? "Sold" does not equate to "currently in use". Phones get broken, damaged, lost, stolen/bricked, etc. Try and find an iPhone 4 without a broken screen. What you going to do when you upgrade - answer is probably throw it in the bin.

----------

Once again you're making the figures up as you go along which was my point. What is your source for the figures you quote? Show me a link to the exact number of iPhones sold since launch.

Google A LOT, BEFORE INSULTING... HMMM.

BTW, I said 400M by September 2015
If were talking December 2015, well I wouldn't even need to put up this thing because it would be OBVIOUS that it would be the case...

Take those stats, http://www.statista.com/statistics/263401/global-apple-iphone-sales-since-3rd-quarter-2007/

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...e-5s-5c-sales-mix-resembles-2012-s-blend.html
(this would relate to financial 2013, 2014)

Product Mix for Financial 2013 : 65% 5, 27% 4S, 8% 4 , so 65% Apple Watch compatible
Product Mix for Financial 2014: 65% 5S, 27% 5C, 8% 4S, 92% Apple Watch compatible
Product Mix for Financial 2015: Nearly 100% Apple Watch compatible (the number of 4S sold will probably about 2%)

So,
Financial 2013 (10/2012, 10/2012) you got 125M Iphone Sold, 81M Compatible
Financial 2014 (10/2013, 10/2014) you got 165M Iphone sold, 152M Compatible
Financial 2015 (10/2014, 10/2015) you got an estimate for 200-210M phones sold, 196-206M compatible
(Most people are saying 71M for Q1, that's 40% higher than Q1 last year BTW)

FULL REPLACEMENT OF BROKEN PHONES

I estimate this generously at 2% per year, per phone.
If broken on warantee Apple doesn'T counts them as sales, but as an expense, so they would have no effect on the numbers.

Year1 phones* (4% + 1%) (only half year for average phone), Year2 phones (2 + 1%), Year 3 phones (1%)
So, 4M + 4.5M + 2M = About 10.5M Phones broken and replaced. Substracting 2.5M for Apple replace phones ( a bit arbitrary and probably low)

Replacement of Fiscal 2013 phones would get them a Apple Watch compatible phone.
(1-Y1) * 5% = 2.2M

PRE RETIREMENT TOTAL

That leaves 81M Iphone 5, 152M Iphone 5s, 5c, About 200M 5c, 6, 6+ - 8M + 2.2 = about 433M without accounting for retirements.

RETIREMENTS

This is were it gets really complicated, but I'll try to simplify it quite a bit to make it simpler.
I'll assume no phones sold in Fiscal 2014, 2015 will be retired. Almost surely not true, but probably close to reality.
Those with money and without contract would be the most likely to buy a phone every year
(but also the most likely to resell it, so the 5S phones would still be in use). I'll call it a wash for less than 2 year old phones by 9/2015.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/consumers-hoard-13-billion-in-old-iphones-2014-02-12

For fiscal 2013, its a bit more iffy, a survey seems to say that 50% of phones are retired when buying a new Iphone.
Most phones that were retired in 2014 were 4 and 4S, thus non Watch compatible, it doesn't change the number, which jibes with my previous assertion.

If ALL Iphone 5 owners bought new phones by September 2015, We'd get 41M less Iphone 5 in circulation.
That's obviously not true. There will be a substantial number of 5 still active.
If 35% of those phones are still active (low estimate) by September 2015 ( 50% * 65 % * 81M) =26.4M are retired)

So, the lower bound on Apple Watch compatible Iphones would be by September 2015 = 407.5M
(If 10% of 5S users buy 6 and 6+ and 50% get resold, you get 7.5M less than that number).
That is 400M exactly.

So, Hey, my assertions of 400M Iphones existing by September is NOT out of left field at all buddy.

This estimate is also close to some other people's estimate.

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Care to share how you think such a device would work?

Just having an hrm would qualify it as a smartwach. Press a button to activate Bluetooth and sync the data with the host. Long press to put it in pairing mode.

The watch and the smart parts could be separate in this case, with the smarts automatically getting the current time needed for subsequent timestamping each time it syncs (so 2 independent clocks in it).

The track memory can be a circular buffer that gets automatically overwritten.

For example.

Last edited:

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
this is more or less something i'm looking for in a smartwatch. Really surprised that Apple went the direction they did with something closer in resemblence to what the Android folk did (square ugly faces).

https://kairoswatches.com/

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
Quite frankly, I am not sure these premium brands costing thousands of dollars are actually a direct competitor to the Apple Watch. They're regarded more as a jewelery/fashion item rather than a tech gadget, therefore I dont think their customer base will overlap.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Quite frankly, I am not sure these premium brands costing thousands of dollars are actually a direct competitor to the Apple Watch. They're regarded more as a jewelery/fashion item rather than a tech gadget, therefore I dont think their customer base will overlap.

You obviously have not seen the major push Apple has done in fashions house in this case. This is also a fashion item.

MacScott

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2012
Indiana
All of this buzz is making me wonder what I might be missing. I am not a watch guy though. I rarely wear one and when I do, it is a cheap Timex Ironman model.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Because of the first Apple Watch?
No.
After the third or fourth generation, you might want to think again. At that point it will likely be a standalone device with most of the features of an iPhone.

Just look at what iPod did to the CD-player, iPhone did to the cell phone industry, iPad did to PC industry, etc.
Apple don't bother doing things unless it has a great impact.

Mechanical watches won't go away, but will soon be a thing exclusively for the hipsters.

Let me think about what the iPad did to the PC market .... slow it down? I mean, we're still talking about a 300m per year industry, it's not exactly dead.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
The Apple Watch will do to the watch industry what the Apple TV did to the TV industry.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I am fully invested in the Apple ecosystem ( look at my sig lol ) but I am just not feeling the Apple Watch. It's design is very meh and functionality is way over stated. I would much rather spend money on a nice looking Tag Heuer, the Apple Watch is the epitome of gimmick.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
The Apple Watch will do to the watch industry what the Apple TV did to the TV industry.

Which is nothing. Apple TV didn't make much of a difference at all, not sure where you are getting that from. Netflix, Hulu, and those types of services were the game changers.

But I do agree, seeing as the apple watch won't mean squat. It's just a watch for Apple dorks. No one with any sense of style or looking to show off would ever consider one.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Which is nothing. Apple TV didn't make much of a difference at all, not sure where you are getting that from. Netflix, Hulu, and those types of services were the game changers.

But I do agree, seeing as the apple watch won't mean squat. It's just a watch for Apple dorks. No one with any sense of style or looking to show off would ever consider one.

I think that was his point

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Here's a new short opinion piece on the Apple Watch from BusinessInsider.com...

One Reason The Apple Watch Will Succeed When All Other Smart Watches Have Failed

While the article itself is mildly insightful, I found the first comment to be more informative:

Expensive fashion accessories sell in small volumes. Rolex makes less than one million of their best watches ("certified chronometers") annually.

If selling in small volumes is "success", then I suppose you could claim success based on these type of sales.

Frankly, I was surprised that Rolex sold 1,000,000 chronometers a year - - I would have thought it would be less, given their starting price of over $3000. I think that despite his intentions, the commenter is actually making a good argument for the success of the Apple Watch.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
So if it didn't come with an expiration date, you'd be okay with it.

----------

You're only saying that because all the other products on the list took longer than two months to reach full disruption.:D

Lol I wish. Bottom line is, technology increasingly with time becomes outdated with time. Can I write off 1-2k each year? IRS might not buy it! Tech. does become outdated pretty quickly you know?!?

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Lol I wish. Bottom line is, technology increasingly with time becomes outdated with time. Can I write off 1-2k each year? IRS might not buy it! Tech. does become outdated pretty quickly you know?!?

We don't know yet how Apple will handle upgrades on the iWatch. It's been suggested that Apple may let you replace the insides of the higher-end Apple Watch models for a modest fee. Then it wouldn't be $1-2K each year. It might be just a few hundred bucks, and that only every two or three years ago.

It's also been suggested that the Apple Watch will be total and dismal failure, because Apple will expect you to throw away your $5000 18K gold watch each and every year and replace it with the new model, and no one would do that, and Apple is unable to see that their entire business model is going to to lead them to certain doom.

I'm thinking that predictions of doom for Apple (at least in the near term) are not very credible, so I'm willing to wait and see before I wail about how Apple will address the bottom line that you think you can see and they can't.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
It's also been suggested that the Apple Watch will be total and dismal failure, because Apple will expect you to throw away your $5000 18K gold watch each and every year and replace it with the new model, and no one would do that

And yet people 'throw away' their $1000 iPhone 'each and every year'.

Footnotes

ie: sell for up to half of original cost

ie: every two or three years

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
We don't know yet how Apple will handle upgrades on the iWatch. It's been suggested that Apple may let you replace the insides of the higher-end Apple Watch models for a modest fee. Then it wouldn't be $1-2K each year. It might be just a few hundred bucks, and that only every two or three years ago.

It's also been suggested that the Apple Watch will be total and dismal failure, because Apple will expect you to throw away your $5000 18K gold watch each and every year and replace it with the new model, and no one would do that, and Apple is unable to see that their entire business model is going to to lead them to certain doom.

I'm thinking that predictions of doom for Apple (at least in the near term) are not very credible, so I'm willing to wait and see before I wail about how Apple will address the bottom line that you think you can see and they can't.

If they were to offer upgrades for your existing shell, well then thats a different story and I'd be more onboard with the idea. Of course all of my (and anyone else's really) concerns are just simply speculative since said device hasn't even been released. Still, I highly doubt it will be a dismal failure as the biggest volume of sales will most likely come from the sub-$500 price mark. Heck even if you could afford an 18k gold model doesn't mean you wouldn't prefer a "sportier" looking model. With that said, if I were to pluck away a couple grand I would require that they make upgrades feasible when newer tech comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.