Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

clauzzz203

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
People who have done a clean install (you must delete all partitions and backups) do not have unique problems, so if anyone has big problems with Yosemite, it is their fault for being comfy and choosing upgrade, especially from OS X versions from years ago. The upgrade process has many flaws even if done correctly. These statements apply both to OS X and iOS. Apple has never cared for upgrade scenarios, they care about the bleeding edge and so should you.

If you absolutely cannot clean install,
-repair permissions from Disk Utility
-thrash and empty trash for everything in Library/LaunchAgents, Library/LaunchDaemons and Library/StartupItems as these hog CPU, RAM and HDD/SSD at startup and during normal running
-disable all Extensions and plugins from Safari (use Safari, Chrome is slower and worse at typography) Preferences, Privacy except the ones you absolutelly cannot browse without, e.g. Flash (for some, although 99% of video websites work without flash - did you know that? try it; also Flash hogs CPU, RAM, fans and website loading like crazy)
-enter Terminal and type sudo periodic daily, then sudo periodic weekly then sudo periodic monthly
After these reboot and remember to do them once a week or at the very least once a month. Enjoy the blazing speed.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Now all my mail looks like it just came from the Post Office..:p

What are all these appropriations on top of messages... EM, MF etc... n the corner...

What do they stand for?

While I agree upgrades cause more problems, sometimes users can't do clean install, since (for one thing they never keep backups, which would take long to do), However, while u can clean install on OS X, you cannot do this on iOS, cos even if you "Erase all content & Settings", technically it will still be an upgrade since an version is already installed.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Utilities
- Activity Monitor changes:
There is now a Compressed Memory column you can add to Activity Monitor.
Instead of unclear "Safari Web Content" processes, Activity Monitor now shows the full webpage url of the Safari Web Content so it's easier to see which webpage is taking the most amount of memory.

About that... I have this thing where the fans start screaming and one particular website (dustinhome.se) is claiming 100+% CPU in two separate processes which I have to force quit. I don't even have to visit the site during the Safari session, it just happens anyway. Through some iCloud voodoo with visited sites being mirrored to all clients linked to my iCloud account, it spreads from one Mac to another. I have this Mac Mini server that's always running and I've never even visited the site on that machine, but I can come to my home office in the morning and find that the fans have been going full blast for lord knows how many hours, I open up Activity Monitor and there it is again, dustinhome.se. I thought I was going crazy but I googled the issue and sure enough there are lots of similar reports.

Dustin is a Premium Apple Reseller and one of Scandinavia's largest online shops for pro and consumer electronics; it's where I do all my shopping. This odd bug is probably causing a collective power draw of a few gigawatts across thousands of helpless Macs in Scandinavia. I've tried cleaning out all cache and cookie data pertaining to the site, but the ghost keeps coming back, presumably via iCloud (it's really hard to kill something that iCloud is frantically trying to put back on 5 devices at once). I guess I'll drop them a mail and hope they'll understand what the hell I'm on about.

Another iCloud issue I've encountered in Safari is that it can delete your bookmarks while you're busy rearranging them. Twice now I've had the sidebar open and rearranged bookmarks and bookmark folders there when Safari suddenly throws an alert and says something to the effect that I can't touch those right now because they're being synchronized, and anything I moved while Safari was in that state simply vanished. It killed a couple of carefully curated bookmark folders for me. I back them up manually ever since.

Artimus12

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2011
YooKay
About that... I have this thing where the fans start screaming and one particular website (dustinhome.se) is claiming 100+% CPU in two separate processes which I have to force quit. I don't even have to visit the site during the Safari session, it just happens anyway. Through some iCloud voodoo with visited sites being mirrored to all clients linked to my iCloud account, it spreads from one Mac to another. I have this Mac Mini server that's always running and I've never even visited the site on that machine, but I can come to my home office in the morning and find that the fans have been going full blast for lord knows how many hours, I open up Activity Monitor and there it is again, dustinhome.se. I thought I was going crazy but I googled the issue and sure enough there are lots of similar reports.

Dustin is a Premium Apple Reseller and one of Scandinavia's largest online shops for pro and consumer electronics; it's where I do all my shopping. This odd bug is probably causing a collective power draw of a few gigawatts across thousands of helpless Macs in Scandinavia. I've tried cleaning out all cache and cookie data pertaining to the site, but the ghost keeps coming back, presumably via iCloud (it's really hard to kill something that iCloud is frantically trying to put back on 5 devices at once). I guess I'll drop them a mail and hope they'll understand what the hell I'm on about.

Another iCloud issue I've encountered in Safari is that it can delete your bookmarks while you're busy rearranging them. Twice now I've had the sidebar open and rearranged bookmarks and bookmark folders there when Safari suddenly throws an alert and says something to the effect that I can't touch those right now because they're being synchronized, and anything I moved while Safari was in that state simply vanished. It killed a couple of carefully curated bookmark folders for me. I back them up manually ever since.
Have you tried turning off Safari mirroring in iCloud on all your devices until you've completely eradicated it from your account?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I really like Yosemite now... although i do have the odd issues : (who would expect otherwise on a .1 release)

- Spotlight : There is a box in the center, but there is no way to drag it so its out of the way.. You must first close it... Although the wealth if more info is good.

- Notification Center : Now overlays the screen, not sliding in like before, thus it hides any icons behind it.... The overlay is good, but only in certain areas, otherwise it just doesn't look good.. It looks Apple didn't know how to slide it.

- AFP shares : One major thing i thing i may have use Mavericks...

I use screen sharing all the time, 99% of the time i use it to access Mac mini, however even after a clean install of Yosemite, every open of a Finder window and attempting to connect brings up the "Connection failed to <server>". This happens on both "Screen share" and "Connect as"

sometimes u get lucky, one option works, the other doesn't, but 9 times out of time it will work, but since i rely on this to work, I think i must fo-go 10.10.1

- Mail Signature problems : When composing a new message only one shows up, you cannot switch between any of your signatures, even though they appear in Mail Preferences, Signatures...

...And this on all from a "clean" install .....

I would have expected this from an upgrade by all means, but never a clean install. Few problems maybe, but when one of the mail or main issues you use all the time, it suddenly turns a minor issue into a major one, and u just can't use it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 4.33.57 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 4.33.57 pm.png
    86.5 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Have you tried turning off Safari mirroring in iCloud on all your devices until you've completely eradicated it from your account?
Nope. What I did was: Remove the bookmark, kill it in Top Sites, kill it in Frequently Visited Sites (a feature I hate anyway so I always remove anything that sticks there until Safari stops trying) and erase cookies/cache. Every possible trace removed and yet it still kept showing up. For literally no conceivable reason the rMBP would start sounding like vacuum cleaner again and I'd find two instances of "www.dustinhome.se" in Activity Monitor. Then I remembered: History. So I viewed history and sure enough it was crammed with entries from September and on, even though I bought this computer in November. I didn't realize iCloud kept a global cache of that, too. And there it was, one visit to the site in November which is when I ordered the computer from them! How bizarre is it that a computer frequently runs amok as a result of echoes of its own online purchase?!

Anyway, I wiped History, which wiped it on all my Macs linked to that iCloud account, and now it finally stopped happening. Mirroring of History was the culprit.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Not sure whether this has been reported before, but I think I found some small UI changes in the 10.10.2 public beta.

1. When using the dictionary function (right-click on a word > 'Look Up [word]'), the yellow highlight fades in smoothly rather than abrupt and doesn't change the typeface anymore while highlighted.
  2. In Mail, when deleting or moving an e-mail, there is now an animation: the e-mail is quickly 'squished' upwards. In addition, the e-mail above the deleted one is selected afterwards. Mail is overall a bit smoother and more responsive than before.
  3. The volume control UI with 'Reduce transparency' enabled has been fixed too (before it would have black corners).
  4. When using the dark mode, the font showing the VPN connection time is now bright (it was a lot darker before).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 05.01.21.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 05.01.21.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 2,708
  • Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 05.09.25.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 05.09.25.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 2,706
Last edited:

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
The volume control UI with 'Reduce transparency' enabled has been fixed too (before it would have black corners).
One less thing for people to complain about. Of course chances are complaining will continue in the form of "it should have been fixed earlier".

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
One less thing for people to complain about. Of course chances are complaining will continue in the form of "it should have been fixed earlier".
I still see them, so I can't yet move to that fallback complaint you suggest.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Best ignored

Even likelier: some people will simply complain about people who find fault.

Postscript

… History repeating itself and the complaints are almost exactly the same.

If that's truly your interpretation, then I must say that you are reading with rose-tinted spectacles.

People deal just as poorly with change in 2014 as they did in 2003.

That's a huge oversimplification. The masses of complaints about Yosemite can not be dismissed in that way. … you're a hair's breadth away from addition to the shortlist of people who I ignore in MacRumors. I use that list as rarely as possible, and I respect much of what you write, so please: let's try to keep things that way :)

I used it again.

Last edited:

ncrypt

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
UK
New icons

New icons in the latest 10.10.2 beta for for marking messages read/unread in Mail

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 15.53.08.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 15.53.08.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 2,568

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Even likelier: some people will simply complain about people who fuss about the littlest of details and feel the need to endlessly vent it to the outside world.
Fixed that for you.

New icons in the latest 10.10.2 beta for for marking messages read/unread in Mail
That's a good change. The current symbols aren't too clear about what action the buttons trigger.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
That's a good change. The current symbols aren't too clear about what action the buttons trigger.

I think the iconography in Yosemite is generally a lot clearer than before wherever it changed. Mavericks and earlier versions sometimes relied on metaphors that you couldn't easily grasp at first sight and/or associate with whatever the icon represented, e.g. the old (admittedly cute) butler/assistant icon in Xcode and other places.

Attachments

• sl.png
    sl.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 2,544
  • y.png
    y.png
    8 KB · Views: 4,764

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
I think the iconography in Yosemite is generally a lot clearer than before wherever it changed. Mavericks and earlier versions sometimes relied on metaphors that you couldn't easily grasp at first sight and/or associate with whatever the icon represented, e.g. the old (admittedly cute) butler/assistant icon in Xcode and other places.
Agreed. Although in some cases it's pretty hard to come up with a clear symbol for a given task.

imasterus

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
Don't know whether it is Yosemite-specific feature (power nap was introduced in ML), but Dropbox files are updated when power nap is on while my MacBook sleeps. I like this feature.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
At first sight

… easily grasp at first sight and/or associate with whatever the icon represented …

attachment.php

I see these three things:
  • a list
  • an overlap of two things, maybe intended to represent a merger
  • something network related (two-way communication); it's most recognisably AppleTalk, but I know that's not used in modern versions of the OS.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Not sure whether this has been reported before, but I think I found some small UI changes in the 10.10.2 public beta.

1. When using the dictionary function (right-click on a word > 'Look Up [word]'), the yellow highlight fades in smoothly rather than abrupt and doesn't change the typeface anymore while highlighted.
  2. In Mail, when deleting or moving an e-mail, there is now an animation: the e-mail is quickly 'squished' upwards. In addition, the e-mail above the deleted one is selected afterwards. Mail is overall a bit smoother and more responsive than before.
  3. The volume control UI with 'Reduce transparency' enabled has been fixed too (before it would have black corners).
  4. When using the dark mode, the font showing the VPN connection time is now bright (it was a lot darker before).

Latest beta:
  • The yellow highlight when using the in-text dictionary (right-click on a word > 'Look Up [word]') is gone in Safari (but not Preview or TextEdit).
  • The Mail animations I mentioned are gone again.
  • Icons are back in Finder 'Go' menu.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 08.57.38.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 08.57.38.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

joedec

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino
Latest beta:
  • The yellow highlight when using the in-text dictionary (right-click on a word > 'Look Up [word]') is gone in Safari (but not Preview or TextEdit).
  • The Mail animations I mentioned are gone again.
  • Icons are back in Finder 'Go' menu.

I have 10.10.2 Beta 6 and the yellow highlight in Safari is there. Just an FYI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.