Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1ONE

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
So I have a couple of AVCHD files and some ISO files that I need to burn to DVD+R DL's on my 2011 iMac.

What programs do I need to accomplish this?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
What will you be playing the DVD on? I think you can just use disk utility for ISO (burn disk option). AVCHD is drag and drop, or you can use disk utility. Toast may also work.

If you wanted to author a DVD with menus and such so it looks like a commercial DVD, most video editors like iMovie give you an export to DVD type option for simple stuff. If you want to get fancy you need something more robust, I use DVDSP. Not sure the burner in the 2011 is DL capable.

Last edited:

1ONE

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
What will you be playing the DVD on? I think you can just use disk utility for ISO (burn disk option). AVCHD is drag and drop, or you can use disk utility. Toast may also work.

If you wanted to author a DVD with menus and such so it looks like a commercial DVD, most video editors like iMovie give you an export to DVD type option for simple stuff. If you want to get fancy you need something more robust, I use DVDSP. Not sure the burner in the 2011 is DL capable.

I will be playing the DVD on my PS4 (or WiiU).

That would be a shame if the 2011 iMac burner is DL capable. I sure hope so...

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
That would be a shame if the 2011 iMac burner is DL capable. I sure hope so...
I'll be surprised if it isn't.

If you want to play the dvd in a DVD Player, you will need software that can produce Video DVDs. Do you have iDVD on your Mac? It should be in the Applications Folder if you have it.

If not you could try Burn:
http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html
Not sure if it takes AVCHD files though.

If it doesn't, use RewrapAVCHD to change the AVCHD container to a .mov container. There's no conversion so there's no loss of quality.
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/39800/rewrapavchd.

If not Burn, then there's a few free dvd creators in the App Store.

1ONE

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
Thanks so much for your advice. I did check under System Information and it would appear DVD+R DL media is accepted so I should be okay.

Screen_Shot_2014_12_20_at_4_48_35_PM.png

Wish me luck.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
just insert the dvd - you'll see it as blank dvd in finder. drag the avchd files onto the disc and press the yellow-black button next to the blank dvd to burn it. the ps4 should be able to read the avchd files (you could try that with an usb-stick beforehand).

if you try to author a video-dvd, you'll lose a lot of resolution, because dvd-video is only in SD. if you wanted to preserve resolution AND have menus, you have to author a blu-ray disc (and buy a blu-ray burner).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.