Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
You people know about canvas, right? :confused:

I have aquatic-themed tattoos, keep saltwater aquariums, run an undersea game of Dungeons & Dragons, and yes, I have framed mermaid-themed artwork. I am a man of limited interests. ;)

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
Congrats! Looks good and like the design. Good decision to stay away from the forearm for now.

Honestly, I really want this:

Even with that one, you will never be as cool as THIS guy:

Attachments

• mr-cool-ice-tattoo.jpg
    mr-cool-ice-tattoo.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 94

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I got a forearm one at age 61, and another at 67. I was a tenured full professor so no one was in any position to get after me.

I taught archaeology for many years so the first one's a symbol from a French Upper Paleolithic cave (meaning unknown). The second one's entirely in binary -- a couple of meaningful dates.

The reason I'm adding to this thread is that last night I was reading my latest copy of Nature and found a review of a book by Carl Zimmer, "Science Ink."

Here's a link to his blog and some of the science ink:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/loom/science-tattoo-emporium/

The book's available now.

Last edited:

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
The reason I'm adding to this thread is that last night I was reading my latest copy of Nature and found a review of a book by Carl Zimmer, "Science Ink."

I mentioned the very site in a thread over in the Picture Gallery . I was made aware of the Science Tattoo Emporium when I posted a pic of my giant pacific octopus tattoo over at deepseanews.com .

It's an eclectic collection of ink, to be certain.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Here's the Upper Paleolithic design. No one's known what it means for, oh, 25,000 years.

Attachments

• upper paleolithic design.jpg
    upper paleolithic design.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 75

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Then the pertinent question would be "what does it mean, to you?"

Having projected it on a screen semester after semester I became fond of it. I also liked that it was non-representational (to us). So when it was time to get inked, that's what I chose.

Next up, an outline map of an island in the SW Pacific where I did fieldwork. I haven't decided where to place it, though.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Depending on your profession or desired future profession, a visible tattoo, not easily covered could have a detrimental effect, especially the nature of the tattoo.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
Since someone else dug this thread out of its grave, as an employer I won't tell you that you can't get a tattoo or piercing but if I see it you'll be an EX-employee in 10 seconds flat.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Since someone else dug this thread out of its grave, as an employer I won't tell you that you can't get a tattoo or piercing but if I see it you'll be an EX-employee in 10 seconds flat.

So you'll terminate a person's employment because they chose to get a tattoo or piecing? That seems cold, I'm glad I don't work for you (and no I don't have any tattoos or piercing).

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Yeah but in the military tattoos are a non-issue. I don't think the same applies for office jobs. And i'm not even sure what career field i will end up in.

Not really true. There are strict rules. You have to realize that most of the serious companies, government agencies etc. have their own rules in this field. Don't get yourself in a situation when some years from now you will regret having a tattoo on your forearm.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I work in the financial sector now, I have tats on my legs that I did myself, but I think a forearm tat would be an issue. If you aren't sure what you want to do yet you might be cautious, there are still plenty of uptight white people in hiring positions.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
If you aren't sure what you want to do yet you might be cautious, there are still plenty of uptight white people in hiring positions.

It's important to keep in mind that a HUGE reason why there are uptight white people (not sure what being white has to do with it, but whatever) in hiring positions is because there are plenty of uptight customers, clients, etc. in position to do business with that hiring manager's company. Whether you want to accept it personally or not, image DOES still count to many people in the business world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.