Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I am wanting to purchase a Retina imac for when I return to uni in January. I will be using it to research, SPSS (stats program), office, surfing the net etc. I might put windows and bootcamp on it so I can play a few games like the Sims 4 as well. I won't be doing any photography/video editing on it. What specs would you recommend? I definitely want to keep it for at least 2-3 years.

Kritzmire

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
i7 and 295x are a must in my opinion
when putting this amount of money into something you can keep for 4+ years i cant think of any reason not to
apple ram is way overpriced just upgrade that on your own

edjrwinnt

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
North Ridgeville, Ohio
For your usage the base iMac retina will be fine for at least 2-3 years. I upgraded with the i7 but kept the video card standard and everything works great for me. I use many applications at once, none of them very graphics intensive and I'm very happy with it.

With mission control there is some lag with the base video card but I think that is more of a software issue in OSX 10.10. Even some people with 295x cards have reported the same issue. My i5 iMac late 2009 with the base video card still works fine for my needs actually.

I was even surprised that I was able to hookup a Dell 4K LCD and an Asus 1920 x 1200 LCD to the thunderbolt ports with just the 290x video card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.