Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
Is it ok to store/run applications from my OS X desktop? Or will it affect performance etc?

I know under Windows they suggest not keeping large files on the desktop (for some reason - perhaps this is now outdated advice) but I have certain applications that I'm either A) only using for a short period of time or B) would rather keep separate from my 'Applications' folder (such as games, etc) and i'm wondering whether it's ok to just store these on my desktop and run them directly from that location?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The desktop is just a folder, so there's no harm. I personally, like to keep things organized and so all my apps are in the application folder.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
A couple of suggestions:

1. Put the apps into the applications folder, then create aliases of them, and put the aliases on the desktop.

2. Open the applications folder in the finder.
Grab the icon for the apps folder with the mouse and drag it to the dock, just above or to the left of the trash can.
The folder will now "be in the dock".
Right click on the docked folder and choose "folder" from the list of options.
Right click again on the docked folder and choose either "Grid" or "List" from the options (try both and see what you like best).

I prefer #2 myself.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
I have certain applications that I'm either A) only using for a short period of time or B) would rather keep separate from my 'Applications' folder.
i'm wondering whether it's ok to just store these on my desktop and run them directly from that location?
Isn't it what the Dock is made for ?

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
Pretty sure some apps won't update themselves if they're not in the Applications folder. The alias suggestion (or the dock) would be better.

Much faster: hit the shortcut for Spotlight and type the first few letters of what you want to launch. (I actually prefer Alfred for this myself.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.