Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
So funny story I didn't know I had one-click enabled on my phone for Amazon and I thought I just checked a price in my cart but it apparently purchased and shipped!

I was debating on this vs the new Dell 27in but from Apple's 4k support page it only supports 50hz refresh on the LG 31MU97-B. Will this be a noticeable difference vs 60hz on most displays? Also will it cause issues with video playback and editing?

Luckily Amazon's return policy is excellent so I can ship it back but I thought I'd reach out first to get any advice. Thanks.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Personally I find it noticeable, but others have said they are fine with it. As you said, Amazon has an excellent return policy, try it out for yourself and see. Also, it's worth mention that it seems Apple is taking steps to enable proper support for this display, so I'd imagine we will see 4096x2160 @ 60hz in the near future.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
Personally I find it noticeable, but others have said they are fine with it. As you said, Amazon has an excellent return policy, try it out for yourself and see. Also, it's worth mention that it seems Apple is taking steps to enable proper support for this display, so I'd imagine we will see 4096x2160 @ 60hz in the near future.

Thank you for the feedback and I'm worried it will be a bother to me as well. I've been sensitive to lower refresh rates on older LCD monitors back at my old corporate gig (people's were set to like 30Hz and I'd switch it to 60 for them!)

I'll probably give it a spin sometime this week as it arrives tomorrow but I'm going to double check Amazon's policy on opened/used monitors. I know some items you can run it for more than X days/hours.

*EDIT: Just had a chat with Amazon's CS and I was assured as long as I don't abuse the monitor I can return it within 30days no questions asked.

Last edited:

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
Update

Got the display, connected it and my 2013 MP recognized it right away.

That said it's probably going back for a few reasons:

1. It suffers from what seems to be a common LG screen problem: Left side has a different white point than the right. It's not terrible but it's an obvious color shift problem which will make editing photos difficult.

LGWhite-1.jpg

2. Maybe it's just this display but HiDPI isn't working correctly with Photoshop. From what I've read only the UI should scale, the images should be a native resolution. When running any scaled size the images I'm working on scale as well. For example a 5k image doesn't fill the screen at 150% scaling. At native its bigger than the screen.

Scaled:
ScaledRes.jpg

Native:
NativeRes.jpg

3. 50hz is noticeable. Again nothing like 30z but videos and moving around quickly on the screen it's noticeable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.