Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rossiskiracer91

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2014
I have an iPhone 6 Plus and was wondering if anyone has tried both the defender and voyager? If so, what one do you like best? I've used Otterboxes for probably 7 years but I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the latest one. Any help would be appreciated!

Ngwidener

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
I originally bought the voyager but I returned it and got the otterbox. The top piece of the voyager seemed pretty flimsy and the mute switch cover was really hard to get open. The otterbox seems sturdier and the ports are all easily accessible. I'm not a big fan of the built in screen protector on the otterbox so I ripped it out and got the zagg glass.

rossiskiracer91

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2014
I originally bought the voyager but I returned it and got the otterbox. The top piece of the voyager seemed pretty flimsy and the mute switch cover was really hard to get open. The otterbox seems sturdier and the ports are all easily accessible. I'm not a big fan of the built in screen protector on the otterbox so I ripped it out and got the zagg glass.

Thanks for the reply! I bought the Otterbox tonight and already took it off because of the screen protector. I'm going to check out the Voyager tomorrow I think.

janitor1999

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
I've got the otter box and the screen protector was the one thing that caused me To buy it, after having to spend another £237 after the screen on my 2 month old iPhone 6 broke, shattered after being dropped from 4 feet onto pavement, not taking anymore chances, always used otter box on other phones, first iPhone broken screen ever.

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
I have used both, and returned the Voyager quickly. Found it to feel much cheaper than the defender. I keep the defender as my backup for when I need the excess protection.

rossiskiracer91

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2014
Thanks for the replies! Do your Otterboxes feel like there's air between your screen and the screen protector? Touch response on my screen was horrible so I took it off after about an hour. My dads 6 doesn't have that issue I don't think.

rossiskiracer91

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2014
I might put it back on tonight and see. I wanted the Lifeproof but really don't want to wait any longer. My next option was the Pelican Voyager but based on what you guys said I don't think I'll be satisfied.

rossiskiracer91

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2014
I returned the Otterbox and went to look at the Pelican. The pelican is indeed cheap feeling. I guess the search will continue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.