Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
First, a bit of back story: A couple of years ago I bought a new iPhone 5 from Apple, which I still use to this day. I then handed my iPhone 4S down to my mother, a phone I also bought new from Apple, thus meaning I still have all the original documents and receipts etc for both iPhones.

The actual problem: Since iOS7 Apple has used Activation lock on all of their iPhones, which is great at helping prevent theft. However, my mother cannot remember her original Apple ID password. We have gone through all the reset questions, put in all the (what we assume) correct information etc and nothing will allow us to reset the password. It even claims her DOB is incorrect, we were both there when the Apple ID was originally set up and knew at the time it was correct. This has left her with several problems, the main ones being not allowing her to upgrade to iOS8 and not allowing third party apps to update to newer versions. It will not allow us to wipe the iPhone and start over again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, if you require any more information I may have missed out just say.

Regards,
Andy

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
First, a bit of back story: A couple of years ago I bought a new iPhone 5 from Apple, which I still use to this day. I then handed my iPhone 4S down to my mother, a phone I also bought new from Apple, thus meaning I still have all the original documents and receipts etc for both iPhones.

The actual problem: Since iOS7 Apple has used Activation lock on all of their iPhones, which is great at helping prevent theft. However, my mother cannot remember her original Apple ID password. We have gone through all the reset questions, put in all the (what we assume) correct information etc and nothing will allow us to reset the password. It even claims her DOB is incorrect, we were both there when the Apple ID was originally set up and knew at the time it was correct. This has left her with several problems, the main ones being not allowing her to upgrade to iOS8 and not allowing third party apps to update to newer versions. It will not allow us to wipe the iPhone and start over again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, if you require any more information I may have missed out just say.

Regards,
Andy

Speak directly to Apple, that would be the only way.

cuongnq

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2014
Contact Apple with Proof of purchase, box or anything you have about this iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.