Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Right, a real file system

Woudn't you find a Finder file system would be awkward to use on a 9.7 tablet? And in iOs the apps own the files, so there they are. If you want to mive files around, then the apps cannot really own the files, and you end uop with an OSX on a tablet, that isnt that great for a consumption tablet, which is what IOS was designed for. better to just keep it simple and have the iPad Pro be an OSX tablet?

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Woudn't you find a Finder file system would be awkward to use on a 9.7 tablet? And in iOs the apps own the files, so there they are. If you want to mive files around, then the apps cannot really own the files, and you end uop with an OSX on a tablet, that isnt that great for a consumption tablet, which is what IOS was designed for. better to just keep it simple and have the iPad Pro be an OSX tablet?

The iPad doesn't have to be just a consumption device, and it only is so because of the limiting iOS. If Apple were to have a true file system, similar to OS X, it would hurt anyone.

The iPad Pro is just a tablet with a bigger screen, I highly doubt Apple is going to have a separate OS just for that one device. Nor do I see them simply having OS X on a tablet as that would require major revisions and engineering work to configure OS X for touch screen use. Hopefully it's the iPad iOS with the major OS updates it needs

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
The iPad doesn't have to be just a consumption device, and it only is so because of the limiting iOS. If Apple were to have a true file system, similar to OS X, it would hurt anyone.

The iPad Pro is just a tablet with a bigger screen, I highly doubt Apple is going to have a separate OS just for that one device. Nor do I see them simply having OS X on a tablet as that would require major revisions and engineering work to configure OS X for touch screen use. Hopefully it's the iPad iOS with the major OS updates it needs

I tend to disagree. iOS isnt limited, its designed to be a tablet/phone OS based on consumption. If you wnat it to be as capable as OSX than yes it is limited. If you wnated OSX on atablet just to read/watch/[play, thats too cumbersome, let alone the extra power required. Where will my pdf files live now? Goodreader, or in another folder? Cannot really have it both ways. Better to retain just two OS's and put OSX on a tablet. I doubt that reengineering OSX for touch is that big a deal. Touch is a user device, as are gestures on an OSX based trackpad, as is a mouse, as is a stylus in iOS. All these are old technologies. The issue is cannabalisation. And makimng a xconsumption devuce ideal at consumption, which also includes light weight, and battery life. But having saod all this, using a 9.7 tablet for creation and power use is not that great an experience. MBA 11 wopudl be bigger and far better

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I tend to disagree. iOS isnt limited, its designed to be a tablet/phone OS based on consumption. If you wnat it to be as capable as OSX than yes it is limited. If you wnated OSX on atablet just to read/watch/[play, thats too cumbersome, let alone the extra power required. Where will my pdf files live now? Goodreader, or in another folder? Cannot really have it both ways. Better to retain just two OS's and put OSX on a tablet. I doubt that reengineering OSX for touch is that big a deal. Touch is a user device, as are gestures on an OSX based trackpad, as is a mouse, as is a stylus in iOS. All these are old technologies. The issue is cannabalisation. And makimng a xconsumption devuce ideal at consumption, which also includes light weight, and battery life. But having saod all this, using a 9.7 tablet for creation and power use is not that great an experience. MBA 11 wopudl be bigger and far better

I'm not against the MacBook or iMac, I have a very powerful 27" iMac and love it, I just don't agree with limiting the iPad. Keep in the mind iPad Air 2 is as powerful as a MacBook from only a couple years ago, so it isn't and issue if the iPad can handle these extra tasks or not. Lightweight, battery life can be maintained as the necessary upgrades needed are strictly on the software end of things. Samsung touch wiz and android lollipop are already doing things iOS on iPad is lacking like split screen multitasking, true 1:1 stylus support and multi user accounts.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I'm not against the MacBook or iMac, I have a very powerful 27" iMac and love it, I just don't agree with limiting the iPad. Keep in the mind iPad Air 2 is as powerful as a MacBook from only a couple years ago, so it isn't and issue if the iPad can handle these extra tasks or not. Lightweight, battery life can be maintained as the necessary upgrades needed are strictly on the software end of things. Samsung touch wiz and android lollipop are already doing things iOS on iPad is lacking like split screen multitasking, true 1:1 stylus support and multi user accounts.

Fair enough, but would you use power software on a 9.7 tablet with no keyboard or a plastic BT keyboard, with no mouse? Split screen means two teeny screens. You want iOS to do what OSX can do, thats ok, but better to use OSX on a tablet in that case. Just my opinions, but as I see it you will make an iPad more demanding power wise if its to be truly creative, so it will get thicker and heavier. It may be that the extra OSX type featues you want mean that its not great at consumption, which was and is the prime design for it, thats why uit appears limiting, as its not designed for your use case, its desogned to read/watch and play predominantly.

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
I dont file system access an issue. If you had Finder on an iPad, that would be a pain, as too much info on a small screen and no mouse or stylus support

But there is file system support in iOS

Finder in OSX
You see the files. OK, you move to the folder say called PDF Magazines. In there you click the folder called Computer Magazine, click that, and choose from the months that are in there.

Goodreader in iOS
Click Goodreader. I am at workn and canno recall the click trail, but Goodreader has all those folders there. Yiou can add folders, move files to folders, rename, etc.

All thyats different is in Goodreader I narrow down to the app that has my pdf files. Its still file system access of a sort, it is still seeing the folders and files and locating the one you want

Now I know not all apps are as structured this way as Goodreader is, thats the issue.

----------

Yeah I see that. But its a tablet. Its not a case of cartering for basic users, its designed for consumption. I am not a basic user, am I going to use it for power tasks, on a 9.7 screen, with no mouse, no stylus, looking at raoes and columns of a spreadsheet or all my fikles in Finder if Finder was in iOS. No way, the screen is too small. So that takes away 90% of the usefulness on an iPad if it had OSX. It would then be a poor tablet and a still too small full OS, so a poor OSX tablet

I dont have an MBA, but I do have a 15" rMBP. I'd take a MBA 11 or 12 over the iPad any day, even if it had OSX/OSX features

For ease of use the iPad gets a 10/10 but without more control over the system I just can't do much with my iPad.

Like for instance I'm in Canada, and (obviously) I want to use American netflix since it has a lot more than Canadian netflix, and (until recently) spotify wasn't in Canada and I wanted to use spotify. So then I need a proxy which has never worked out for me on the iPad, because there's never been an easy way to do this.

Another problem with not having a free file system is, a lot of times I've went to the app store to get an app, and it hasn't been available in Canada so I flat out couldn't get it. For whatever reason, content is often region locked.

And then there's things like Siri. I want to customize Siri to do things like control my TV, heating, lights and do all sorts of things. Siri could have been a platform in and of itself but instead it was far too controlled by apple.

So the iPad is like an air conditioned room which you can't control. If you're hot, it's great! But when you start to shiver then you're on your own.

I also don't like how crappy my iPad 3 runs now. I could just buy a new ipad and be good for the next 2 years, but I'm not forking over $800 every 2 years for a new iPad.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Fair enough, but would you use power software on a 9.7 tablet with no keyboard or a plastic BT keyboard, with no mouse? Split screen means two teeny screens. You want iOS to do what OSX can do, thats ok, but better to use OSX on a tablet in that case. Just my opinions, but as I see it you will make an iPad more demanding power wise if its to be truly creative, so it will get thicker and heavier. It may be that the extra OSX type featues you want mean that its not great at consumption, which was and is the prime design for it, thats why uit appears limiting, as its not designed for your use case, its desogned to read/watch and play predominantly.

If I'm next to my iMac and I need to do some multi screen work, I'm not going to use my iPad over it. But in regards to being on the go, ideally I'd love to be able to do it on my iPad, 9.7" screen and all. Remember, just being able to use to iPad apps at once is the first step, so I wouldn't see why a mouse or keyboard would be needed as the touch controls are there already.

The main issue is that the power options should be available, let the individual user decide if it's convenient or if the screen is too big or small. There is another thread about why the iPad doesn't have true 1:1 stylus support and some people say it shouldn't be there because they won't use it. Maybe the worst logic possible, it's not going to hurt anyone or negatively effect the overall product for anyone if the features are there or not

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
For ease of use the iPad gets a 10/10 but without more control over the system I just can't do much with my iPad.

Like for instance I'm in Canada, and (obviously) I want to use American netflix since it has a lot more than Canadian netflix, and (until recently) spotify wasn't in Canada and I wanted to use spotify. So then I need a proxy which has never worked out for me on the iPad, because there's never been an easy way to do this.

Another problem with not having a free file system is, a lot of times I've went to the app store to get an app, and it hasn't been available in Canada so I flat out couldn't get it. For whatever reason, content is often region locked.

And then there's things like Siri. I want to customize Siri to do things like control my TV, heating, lights and do all sorts of things. Siri could have been a platform in and of itself but instead it was far too controlled by apple.

So the iPad is like an air conditioned room which you can't control. If you're hot, it's great! But when you start to shiver then you're on your own.

I also don't like how crappy my iPad 3 runs now. I could just buy a new ipad and be good for the next 2 years, but I'm not forking over $800 every 2 years for a new iPad.

I dont see what you say relating much to the iPad

If you want to use a region unblocker, configure that in your modem, such as Unotelly, etc

Apps that are region blocked isnt an iPad issue, its an Apple issue, whether you have an iPad, iPhone or Mac.

Siri. Your complaint is the featureset not being large enough, but in fact Apple doesnt have a capability to talk to home devices, hardly anyone does
but its coming. Homekit will do that, and in one place even though there are many many protocols in use, Apple's solution will be one app, Homekit

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
If I'm next to my iMac and I need to do some multi screen work, I'm not going to use my iPad over it. But in regards to being on the go, ideally I'd love to be able to do it on my iPad, 9.7" screen and all. Remember, just being able to use to iPad apps at once is the first step, so I wouldn't see why a mouse or keyboard would be needed as the touch controls are there already.

The main issue is that the power options should be available, let the individual user decide if it's convenient or if the screen is too big or small. There is another thread about why the iPad doesn't have true 1:1 stylus support and some people say it shouldn't be there because they won't use it. Maybe the worst logic possible, it's not going to hurt anyone or negatively effect the overall product for anyone if the features are there or not

yep.

I feel the issue is having the iPad apps being powerful enough feature wise to their desktop counterparts

That the stylus support is there or better

Multi screen , sure

Multi user, sure

I dont see a need for a file system. Where are your excel spreadsheets? In one app, all together, categorised as you have made them to be. Where are all my pdf files, in Goodreader, Its actually not that different. No need to see ALL the files and folders while you seek out your Excel files, just go direct to your Excel files, in the Excel or Office app

MikeCBR

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2014
I use my air 2 for 90% of the stuff I do...email, browsing, and some productivity apps. Only time I need a pc is when video editing really. I got an air printer right now so I can even do word processing on the iPad Air 2.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Was your spelling bad or am I just that much out of touch with this stuff? Of all the things you mentioned the only one that bothers me is about the file management. I do just about everything I ever need to do from my iPad. It works, and works very well for what I need to do.

You've answered your own question.

All/most of the things I mentioned are things I need to do and are unintuitive/impossible on a iPad, therefore an iPad alone would limit my computing activities massively. My tech activities exist far beyond the narrow confines of Apple's world and go beyond consumption, syncing, simple file creation and reliance on cloud computing. This isn't a criticism, I love this Apple world I've described, but I like to travel beyond it's strict boundaries and I shudder to think how horribly constricted I'd feel if I was landlocked to Apple world alone on a <10" screen with a predominantly touch screen interface.

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
I dont see what you say relating much to the iPad

If you want to use a region unblocker, configure that in your modem, such as Unotelly, etc

Apps that are region blocked isnt an iPad issue, its an Apple issue, whether you have an iPad, iPhone or Mac.

Siri. Your complaint is the featureset not being large enough, but in fact Apple doesnt have a capability to talk to home devices, hardly anyone does
but its coming. Homekit will do that, and in one place even though there are many many protocols in use, Apple's solution will be one app, Homekit

If I'm out of the house I can't just configure the modem?

homekit is late to the party.

Fact is, the iPad will never replace the main computer for the majority of its users. The iPad is very good at the things it does, and the about of things it cannot do is horrendously long.

Another quick fail example: I want to watch a movie and browse the internet at the same time. I can only run one application at once.

I'm on a bus and want to download a book from the Internet. I can't torrent, and my downloading capabilities are severely limited by what mobile webkit can do.

----

Like in the first few years of the iPad it was fantastic. But basically since the Surface Pro 3 there's like zero reason to go iPad over SP3 other than price, because the SP3 has both better hardware and more capable software - now that's a tablet which will replace your personal computer (strictly speaking not mine however since I wouldn't part ways with OSX so easily).

Last edited:

PSB136

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2014
Another quick fail example: I want to watch a movie and browse the internet at the same time. I can only run one application at once.
I'm listening to music, downloading a couple of files, watching a live chat in a browser, responding to this post, and working on another project on my PC -- all at once, all visible at once. I can also store my files wherever I want, in any folder structure that I want, and open them in any application that I want (opening all PDFs in iBooks is for dummies).

When the iPad can do all this, along with a mouse + real keyboard, then yes, it has a chance to replace a real computer.

But not until then. Not by a LONG shot.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm listening to music, downloading a couple of files, watching a live chat in a browser, responding to this post, and working on another project on my PC -- all at once, all visible at once. I can also store my files wherever I want, in any folder structure that I want, and open them in any application that I want (opening all PDFs in iBooks is for dummies).

I'm thinking in order to have all that windows open at once, I'd want a 27 inch screen. Any device that is portable enough to qualify as a tablet would be too small for this kind of use, even if it had the software and hardware to run all those programs at once.

In other words, I don't think iPads are meant to replace your main computer, if that is what you do with your computer. However, IMO, people who do all that at once would be power users. I know my boss, my mom, my aunt and cousin would never think to try to do all that on their computer, much less at the same time. For them, an iPad does pretty much most of what they want to do with a computer, and the only reason they still need computers is to backup their media files.

wiredup72

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
My question to the forum is, when?

Obviously, no one knows, but with some discussion, could be conclude on a realistic and potential year?

For me, when it has the processing power and memory of a nMP and can drive 3 monitors and can handle programs like Logic and Final Cut at the same time as regular work flow applications. (although, I would be happy with a Mini with these specs)

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
If I'm out of the house I can't just configure the modem?

homekit is late to the party.

Fact is, the iPad will never replace the main computer for the majority of its users. The iPad is very good at the things it does, and the about of things it cannot do is horrendously long.

I'm on a bus and want to download a book from the Internet. I can't torrent, and my downloading capabilities are severely limited by what mobile webkit can do.

----

Like in the first few years of the iPad it was fantastic. But basically since the Surface Pro 3 there's like zero reason to go iPad over SP3 other than price, because the SP3 has both better hardware and more capable software - now that's a tablet which will replace your personal computer (strictly speaking not mine however since I wouldn't part ways with OSX so easily).

I dont disagree.

Homekit isnt late, in fact its early. Home automation isn't that new, but its use in homes is extremely low, so it is new. I haven't heard of any other platform that provides a HomeKit solution.

SP3 isn't a tablet, its a tablet with a full OS, and keyboard, and I assume mouse support. Its a laptop, with the tablet OS included, so its not a fair comparison to an iPad as its a laptop. If the iPad ran OS X as well as iOS, it will be underpowered so it needs more hardware, so it will be bigger and heavier, as it will essentially morph to be a laptop, and like the SP3 it will be expensive, and not as good a laptop as an Air, and not as good a tablet as an iPad due to increased weight and size, so it will be a jack of all trades and master of none. An Air would be a better option

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I think it's safe to say that the future of computing will be in tablets, and as we have seen since 2010, the iPad is getting more and more useful for everyday tasks. Whilst today, I wouldn't dare say it can take over mainstream computers for everyone, as it lacks power and functionality of a file system (and many other things..), I would go as far to say that it will * someday * be our main computers, doing all tasks from design, to databases, to hardcore gaming and everything in between..

Obviously, no one knows, but with some discussion, could be conclude on a realistic and potential year?

I've been thinking about the same thing, and I think the iPad Pro will be the iPad that replaces laptops, with a proper computer system inside and the option for a keyboard case (a proper one, that can basically turn it into a laptop.

Not to mention that it will probably be cheaper

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I dunno, after using my iPad Air more and more I'm almost exclusively using it. I do have a cheap windows laptop mainly for Age of Empires and some CD burning. That's about it. I'm content to use pages and numbers for light to moderate document and spreadsheet work. They work fine for me and the cloud storage is my "file system" which also works for me.

I understand that people want a more powerful OS or whatever on the iPad but it really was NOT intended to be a laptop replacement. Otherwise, Apple wouldn't still be selling laptops, would they? That right there says it all.

I want them to keep the iPad and iPS just the way it is. It's a perfect tablet but if they go mucking with it then it becomes an imperfect tablet and a half rigged laptop. No thanks.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I dunno, after using my iPad Air more and more I'm almost exclusively using it. I do have a cheap windows laptop mainly for Age of Empires and some CD burning. That's about it. I'm content to use pages and numbers for light to moderate document and spreadsheet work. They work fine for me and the cloud storage is my "file system" which also works for me.

I understand that people want a more powerful OS or whatever on the iPad but it really was NOT intended to be a laptop replacement. Otherwise, Apple wouldn't still be selling laptops, would they? That right there says it all.

I want them to keep the iPad and iPS just the way it is. It's a perfect tablet but if they go mucking with it then it becomes an imperfect tablet and a half rigged laptop. No thanks.

I agree fully.

----------

I've been thinking about the same thing, and I think the iPad Pro will be the iPad that replaces laptops, with a proper computer system inside and the option for a keyboard case (a proper one, that can basically turn it into a laptop.

Not to mention that it will probably be cheaper

No. If the iPad replaces a laptop that is ONLY because they made the iPad a laptop. So then its not a tablet. Who would use OS X on a tablet?? Who would use iOS as a laptop that does everything? No to both. An MBA is a better laptop than an iPad with OS X, floppy keyboard, and mouse. An iPad is a better tablet than an MBA on your knee. Think power and full OS, and for a tablet think smaller size, less weight, consumption based. Keep them both 10/10 and not a 5/10 solution

----------

I think it's safe to say that the future of computing will be in tablets, and as we have seen since 2010, the iPad is getting more and more useful for everyday tasks. Whilst today, I wouldn't dare say it can take over mainstream computers for everyone, as it lacks power and functionality of a file system (and many other things..), I would go as far to say that it will * someday * be our main computers, doing all tasks from design, to databases, to hardcore gaming and everything in between..

When you can get a hybrid like the SP3, that is as light as an iPad, as powerful as an SP3, with a solid keyboard, with a mouse. I doubt you can ever have all that in one device where it ticks all those boxes. I have, but I have two boxes, rMBP and an iPad Air.

File system, you actually don't need that. iOS already has that, just not in a Finder / Windows Explorer form. You can see all your files, just look in the app first.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Actually, you do. Having all data files in the same basket as the app is not a serious or productive way to do things.

So having your PDFs files all over the place is better than having them in one app, say Goodreader, where there are folders, sub folders, everything nice and organized?

Aaron from KY

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
Northern Kentucky
Not anytime soon for the majority of people. This message board is just a very small part of the total population and skewed.
I think you've got it backwards, the people of the forums here are a very small part of the total population, and their demands for multiple monitors and CAD software are skewed. Most people honestly would do fine with an iPad as their main computer, since most people use computers for web browsing, typing documents, and playing games. Most people also stream content, whether Netflix or Spotify or iheartradio. Photos are another area where once again, most people would do alright with either using a memory card reader or iCloud, and iPhoto or the coming photos app to post their pictures to Flickr, Facebook, or Instagram. So for most average consumers an iPad would do fine.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I think you've got it backwards, the people of the forums here are a very small part of the total population, and their demands for multiple monitors and CAD software are skewed. Most people honestly would do fine with an iPad as their main computer, since most people use computers for web browsing, typing documents, and playing games. Most people also stream content, whether Netflix or Spotify or iheartradio. Photos are another area where once again, most people would do alright with either using a memory card reader or iCloud, and iPhoto or the coming photos app to post their pictures to Flickr, Facebook, or Instagram. So for most average consumers an iPad would do fine.

Well, what does everyone do? That's the key.

Ask everyone to only use an iPad. That's the answer. 10%? 20%?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.