Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I've been given the chance to buy a II+. As I primarily stick with Macintoshes this is a bit out of what I know, but feel like I should have an Apple II of some sort somewhere in my collection.

I'm trying to get some more details on this one, but I do know that it's currently working, has a Z80 card, and "all the software you could imagine."

I know that plastic condition is important on these, but is there anything else I should check out before buying? Unfortunately, the computer is currently located in far Eastern KY and am relying on a trusted friend to get me details on it(it belongs to his girlfriend's parents) but primarily need to know what questions I should ask..and from there what a fair offer would be.

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I wouldn't pay more than $50 but that's just me. I know people value these things differently and people selling them have inflated expectations.

I'd make sure it has the 16K language card to bump it up to 64k and I assume it has at least 1 disk drive (and drive card). Also, a color monitor would be nice.

I don't think there's much other than 'it works' you can get from someone and get any useful answer.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Thanks-I really wish that I could just go and see it, but it's a bit too far for me to drive on a computer I'm not overly interested in and have no idea what they are realistically expecting to get for it.

I did text my friend a few questions(including about the case condition and number of floppy drives) and he's supposed to be finding those out for me. Maybe if I'm lucky, they'll just send it up to Louisville with the daughter and let me examine it in person so that I can then make an offer.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I got some photos and some more information

The plastic is in good condition and not yellow. There are two disk drives, and it appears as though every expansion slot is populated.

I was sent the following list of expansion cards

Z80 card
Apple language card
Videx custom video card
64kb memory

The monitor included is an NEC, but I was told that it doesn't seem to "play nice" with the rest of the computer.

Any thoughts based on the above?

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I got some photos and some more information

The plastic is in good condition and not yellow. There are two disk drives, and it appears as though every expansion slot is populated.

I was sent the following list of expansion cards

Z80 card
Apple language card
Videx custom video card
64kb memory

The monitor included is an NEC, but I was told that it doesn't seem to "play nice" with the rest of the computer.

Any thoughts based on the above?

I have an almost identical setup with my Apple II Plus. I have the language card, 64K ram, the Z80 chip and two disk drives. My purchase also included an Apple Monitor III with matching stand, that I think looks very smart.

I probably overpaid for mine paying something over €300!

But to me it was worth that especially in Ireland where the things are so rare.

I've since got an Apple Joystick as well as an incredibly useful SD card adapter that just hooks right up to the DISK II interface card like a charm, allowing me to run dozens of games from one SD card.

Having it in good condition and with all those add in cards makes it a good buy in my mind. A colour monitor is better for viewing, but in my mind, nothing looks better than the Monitor III.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.