Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You could and should say the same for the up vote. It's no different.
Yes, it is different. It is evident why someone agrees with a post: because they agree with what was stated. It is not evident why someone disagrees. Did they disagree because they don't like the poster? Because something in the post wasn't factual? If so, what part wasn't factual and what is the correct information? Because it challenges their personal opinion? An opposing opinion calls for an explanation. To explain why you agree is usually redundant.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Yes, it is different. It is evident why someone agrees with a post: because they agree with what was stated. It is not evident why someone disagrees. Did they disagree because they don't like the poster? Because something in the post wasn't factual? If so, what part wasn't factual and what is the correct information? Because it challenges their personal opinion? An opposing opinion calls for an explanation. To explain why you agree is usually redundant.

No, I disagree. Which part of the post did you agree with? Why? Does it confirm some belief you also hold. Do you just like that poster? Did you think what they said was funny?

The up vote alone is a cop out. Imagine the iTMS App Store with only five star ratings. It's pointless and absurd. It's clapping with one hand.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No, I disagree. Which part of the post did you agree with? Why? Does it confirm some belief you also hold. Do you just like that poster? Did you think what they said was funny?
Classic example why an explanation is needed when you disagree with a post. ^ Thanks! You proved my point quite well!
It's clapping with one hand.
My brother does that quite well, and it's loud, too! :D

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow

That depends entirely on context, and when it's not clear, the member can write a response instead of just clicking the +1 button.

The up vote alone is a cop out. Imagine the iTMS App Store with only five star ratings. It's pointless and absurd. It's clapping with one hand.

I hear that you don't like it, but that's the way arn has decided to do it. There's already been quite a bit of discussion, and there are a lot of opinions on both sides of the fence.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Rather than downvoting I wish the site allowed personal notes under the username vs having the 6502 flotsam.
Then I could root out the trolls.

I would quite like a thanked feature like many other sites have (on top of like/upvote).

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Classic example why an explanation is needed when you disagree with a post. ^ Thanks! You proved my point quite well!

See, a negative vote would have sufficed, but now I risk calling you a name for you being, well, you. -1

I hear that you don't like it, but that's the way arn has decided to do it. There's already been quite a bit of discussion, and there are a lot of opinions on both sides of the fence.

Every argument you make for a positive could be made for a negative. It's the nature of it. Every where except here that is... And what I've seen is that this is not a final solution. It part of an "experiment." If you guys can still speak in favor of it, I will continue to oppose it.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Every argument you make for a positive could be made for a negative. It's the nature of it. Every where except here that is... And what I've seen is that this is not a final solution. It part of an "experiment." If you guys can still speak in favor of it, I will continue to oppose it.

I spoke out in explanation of it, because the site owner has decided, after a huge amount of member input, that this is the way it is. Members can of course post to voice their displeasure about anything on the site, and in that case, a mod or admin may reply to let you know why whatever you bring up, is as it is.

But at some point, when there's been a huge amount of discussion about a forum feature, both in Site and Feedback threads and backstage, and something has been changed as a result, there just isn't much point in beating the dead horse. That doesn't mean you're not allowed to do it, just that it might not have much effect.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
That is probably good/necessary for you, but not good for the (mostly friendly) online communities (not only MR). Less egoism is the key.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Here's a suggestion - allow both up and down voting, but don't show tallies for either, and only use them to determine the top rated comments in that view.

Along the same lines, how about limiting top rated comments so they don't show up there until they have a certain number of votes? It's annoying to see some articles showing some fairly crackpot "top comments" showing with just one vote, just because either there aren't many comments yet, or few have received votes at that point.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
2012-07-12:

… The voting system is still very primitive here so far. Showing the tally per user and the highest ranked people makes a lot of sense, and is an obvious step. But it will also instantly ignite a lot more drama with people competing for high marks. For various reasons we haven't devoted many development resources to this feature so far, but are looking into it again.

Removing the downvote was a very small experiment as we start looking into building out the system. …

Today in 'Forum Migration: Upvotes and Retroactive (lack of) Anonymity':

I still don't know how you can put a like/up vote button without having a dislike/down vote button. A single button either way is absolutely pointless. Why should those in agreement be able to simply click a button but those who disagree must start an argument and write an entire post?

Either have a system that reflects both options or get rid of it entirely.

Tilpots, if you see no point then please ignore the up-vote feature; ignore the 'Like' feature when the forum migrates to XenForo.

Allow these features to be used by people who do see the point. Thanks.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Down-voting without polite comments

The links to Stack Exchange discussions of down-votes without comments have gone.

Instead of Stack Exchange points of reference, here's an Ars Technica example of how a person can react:

"… I take 20 minutes to give detailed instructions for how some guy can solve his problem, and three people think this is worth downvoting? WTF is wrong with you people? Is it considered uncool these days to actually try to help another human being? …"​

I could as easily spend my time in Ars Technica Open Forum, with down-voting, but I prefer to spend it in MacRumors Forums.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
The links to Stack Exchange discussions of down-votes without comments have gone.

Instead of Stack Exchange points of reference, here's an Ars Technica example of how a person can react:

"… I take 20 minutes to give detailed instructions for how some guy can solve his problem, and three people think this is worth downvoting? WTF is wrong with you people? Is it considered uncool these days to actually try to help another human being? …"​

I could as easily spend my time in Ars Technica Open Forum, with down-voting, but I prefer to spend it in MacRumors Forums.

maybe his answer was pants.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Down-voting without comments too often creates unknowns and confusion

maybe his answer was pants.

Three pants? Would the writer have been less offended if two pants had been applied? Which panty part of the pants answer was most panty?

I can smile :) whilst writing that type of thing, and I assume that there was nothing pants about his answer, but I also empathise with the writer's anger.

maybe …

That's one of the greatest risks of down-voting without comments: things become unknown and/or misconstrued. Confusion and frustration; destruction of goodwill; and so on …

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Three pants? Would the writer have been less offended if two pants had been applied? Which panty part of the pants answer was most panty?

I can smile :) whilst writing that type of thing, and I assume that there was nothing pants about his answer, but I also empathise with the writer's anger.

That's one of the greatest risks of down-voting without comments: things become unknown and/or misconstrued. Confusion and frustration; destruction of goodwill; and so on …

I tried to downvote your post but I couldn't find the button :)

That's the trouble with downvotes, when you may have said something a while back and a grudge is held.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Like very other voting thread, we're at a point of beating a dead horse. This thread was resurrected after the discussion has long been settled.

Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.