Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
What week and serial prefix is it?

Mine is a week 47 (November) DL (China - Foxconn) model and doesn't have any screen defects either.

You have to remember that, as with any electronic problem, there will be defects. At launch, 1.6% of the original iPad Airs were defective in one way or another.

spiderpumpkin

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2014
mine is a week 47 (november) dl (china - foxconn) model and doesn't have any screen defects either.

You have to remember that, as with any electronic problem, there will be defects. At launch, 1.6% of the original ipad airs were defective in one way or another.

"1.6%"?

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
I’m simply observing things that I have noticed from a consumer’s point of view with concerns of quality and consistency of a manufactured product.

metalpaul1000

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2014
I have major distortion but i can not work out what bach mine is.

My serial number is DMQNN5YAG5YL

For the life of me i can not work it out

extazy

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2009
Can anyone confirm that the new batch of DEC has already solved this issue?

I just returned mine 64gb WIFI, Gold (DL,week 44, Nov 2014) yesterday due to it had very bad and sensitive screen distortion. Only lift it up from the table would make it distorted. No need to talk about using it while walking with one right hand, that would make the problem worse. Will Apple fix this?

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
Is there a special way of holding it or a certain way of looking at it to see distortion? I haven't spotted it in mine. DM, week 46, Wifi+cellular.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Is there a special way of holding it or a certain way of looking at it to see distortion? I haven't spotted it in mine. DM, week 46, Wifi+cellular.

I strongly suggest you not to search for invisible defects yu didn't notice before.

This only happen on this and similar forums .... :rolleyes:

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
I strongly suggest you not to search for invisible defects yu didn't notice before.

Not at all “invisible”.
With less than medium pressure, press the back of the unit, just a half an inch from the Apple logo. You will surely see screen distortion. Some units are better than others, but most all them show distortion.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014

I'm just trying to figure out what people are talking about. I did figure out that if I put a decent amount of pressure on the back, I could see the LCD ripple. But it was more pressure than I would apply under normal use. If that's all it is, it won't bother me at all.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Air 2 Screen distoring when holding.

oh wow, no... no distortion at all =) (wifi cell 64gb)
and wifi version has...

lucynethel

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2014
Oceanside, California
I forgot to mention. Mine is wifi only and 128 gig model. I filled up my iPad 4 64 Gig SO fast I knew I had to go the big bucks this time :)

I was way off on my internet speed too. I just checked again and got the fasted speed I EVER saw in my 65 years right here on this new iPad 2 Air.
A link for it, and I STILL can't believe this!
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1079890872

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
I only get distortion in the middle of the right-hand is (where the iPad also gets very hot).

Seems better than some people who have distortion around the whole edge, and doesn't happen with normal use.

What do you think I should do? Sounds like a lot of these iPads have this problem so exchanging to get a 100% perfect one would be a big task?

andreiru

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008
Kurgan, RF
I do have a pressure spot on there (week 46) that I noticed right away and it is slightly irritating (plus the battery life does appear to be worse than the previous version too but on the balance of things Im very pleased with it).

DoctorEgypt

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2015
Egypt
Distortion here too week 42

I had a one with week 38 had distortion with minimal pressure, went to apple store all the Air 2 units had them, I got a replacement and still it had the distortion with medium pressure, apple guys told me its normal due to the thinness . Battery life is below the iPad air ... But still it's good but never near the air 1

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I had a one with week 38 had distortion with minimal pressure, went to apple store all the Air 2 units had them, I got a replacement and still it had the distortion with medium pressure, apple guys told me its normal due to the thinness . Battery life is below the iPad air ... But still it's good but never near the air 1

normal? maybe they should learn about a better designing if this is normal. it is just a bad designing. luckily my own air2 doesnt suffer from this so called a normal thing even when im pressing hard. but the other unit suffers even when you dont press on a purpose. i dont call it normal at all.

a good example of a combination of a bad designing and poor manufacturing which leads to issues...

DoctorEgypt

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2015
Egypt
Checked all iPad air 2s in 2 different stores

Well.. I ended up by believing it's normal after checking in 2 different Apple Stores in 2 different countries l I checked AppStore in Ohio beachwood eton mall & best buy egypt. Both do have them in all their units and I have never seen anyone without the distortion on pressure but it does differ in the amount of pressure. I have also called AppleCare phone and they passed me to someone who told me that he is one of those people who participates in the design of the iPad and he told me that it's normal to happen if u press from the back due to an electronic component at the back of the iPad called ( surge bar ) which protects the iPad air 2 from surges. I looked into the pictures posted iPad air 2 tear down but couldn't see that bar ...l anyway he told me that's it's totally normal and I shouldn't have a problem with my iPad air 2 .

----------

So it seems that everyone has the distortion thing ... Except very small amount of people ... And really very small .... And I have never seen someone which hasn't a distortion by myself.

Keniutek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Poland
I simply don't believe people who say "my iPad doesn't distort even if pressed hard". I checked dozens of iPads and ALL of them distorted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.