Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I really, really hope this happens. I have a ton of cases but love the feel of the Veil the most. It doesn't feel rubbery, or plasticky, and adds a lot of grip vs. a naked phone without adding any thickness.

That exposed camera lens though.

I agree with you. I have two cases from Shumuri with the 360 edge coverage. On one the holes are misaligned pretty bad so I won't use it. The other one was puckered by the volume buttons. I did put some rubber bands on the case overnight which did flatten the edge. Okay so then I put it back on the phone this morning and I have to think about when I lay it down due to the camera lens sticking out. Last week when I had on the Veil the same thing had to think about where to lay it down. And then I showed a coworker some photos and of course he just put that sucker flat down on the table right on the lens. I know the lens being sapphire is pretty durable but I still don't like setting the phone down on it on a hard surface. And with either of these cases you can't set the phone face down without a screen protector. And due to the awful offering of protectors for the 6 plus, I'm going without one.

My perfect case would be a polycarbonate white case with a bit of texture on the outside for grip and then super slim but enough to offset the protruding lens along with 360 edge coverage. Maybe one will come along from Caudabe, maybe not. Until then, I'm back using my Apple silicone white case, which I really like in the hand. Of coarse it's no where near as slim as these other cases but the fit is so perfect that it feels part of the phone. And it will offer some drop protection where the other super slim ones won't.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Did you receive them yet? I ordered a bunch similar previously for my iPhone 5 and most of them were bent and marred up. It took weeks to get them. I think I could use like 2 or 3 of them. If was as if my seller got all the first run trials and seconds from the main producer. I'm not saying that's what yours are or will be.

Definitely worth a shot to try them - what do you have to lose? The pricing is actually more in line with the cost to produce. I bet the material for thes thin cases doesn't cost 5 cents and I'm sure the labor isn't much more.

Please share with us the quality of your cases once you receive them.

Been a while since I've been on this thread, but it looks like the same conversation continues to go in circles. eBay is a disaster for quality control and service. It's not my first choice for anything unless I'm looking for something pre-owned for really cheap. I had the same experience with ordering cases on eBay for my iPhone 5. Cases all bent/marred or not even as pictured. Non-existent service. Some people will have good experiences on eBay I'm sure, but I'm not going that route. The Veil is only $15 and I love me some Amazon Prime.

I, too, am really hoping Caudabe comes out with a full coverage Veil and something to protect the camera. I think just based on their responses that various people have posted on Macrumors, it's coming. Where there's smoke, there's fire and all of that. But who knows. Still happy with my Veil in the meantime. And super happy with my iPhone 6 for that matter, but that's for another thread. :p

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I do agree that while the Veil may be close but not exactly what the masses want in the perfect case, the quality and customer service for Caudabe is really good.

Dreamrage

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2014
Did you receive them yet? I ordered a bunch similar previously for my iPhone 5 and most of them were bent and marred up. It took weeks to get them. I think I could use like 2 or 3 of them. If was as if my seller got all the first run trials and seconds from the main producer. I'm not saying that's what yours are or will be.

Definitely worth a shot to try them - what do you have to lose? The pricing is actually more in line with the cost to produce. I bet the material for thes thin cases doesn't cost 5 cents and I'm sure the labor isn't much more.

Please share with us the quality of your cases once you receive them.

Just bought em over the weekend, will let you know when i receive them.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Considering this - does the camera stick out on the backside?

That's the one thing I didn't like about the Shamuri.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I believe they are working on a new version where the camera lens won't protrude but no release date.

On their website it looks like it does!

http://www.caudabe.com/collections/iphone-6-accessories/products/the-veil-ip6-wisp-black

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I have a Veil on order to convert my Twelvesouth Surfacepad from a stick on case to a snap in case. I like the surface pad for traveling, but not for day-to-day use. But the adhesive attachment, while it works, is kind of a pain. The Veil will also offer a little scratch protection.

snowman1

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
Just to confirm, the new Veil covers the protruding camera whereas the previous version did not?

soya

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
You might want to keep an eye on Johncase ones which are identical to previous gen Veil but only 4-5$.. I prefer the Shumuri and LAUT cases though for full coverage. Don't know if they are gonna update for the camera lense though.

snowman1

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
Just got it a few minutes ago! Here are my pictures.

Packaging: Given how thin the case is, I was a little bit worried about the packaging (seems a little bit minimal. It was shipped with a bubble-wrapped packet though). As you can see from the picture with just the case on the table, there's a slight dent near the volume button hole. After putting the phone in though, the case is perfect. No visual defects.

Feel: I used to have an Apple silicone case, and this is a MAJOR upgrade (and I used to think the silicone case wasn't that bad!). After taking the phone out of the silicone case for the first time in almost 3 months, I kinda "re-discovered" how good the phone itself feels in the hand. I'm happy to say that after putting the phone back in the Veil, it feels just as great. No difference except for the fact that instead of feeling cold metal, you feel a matte plastic. I'm not really sure how to describe it though. It's definitely not "rubbery" or "slimy" like a TPU case. Doesn't feel like it will catch lint like the silicone case does. It is also more slippery than the silicone case but not as slippery as the phone itself.

Camera protrusion fix: Works great! At first, I expected the entire phone + case to be "wobbly" on a flat surface because the case rises up around the camera hole, but there is almost no wobble. Definitely won't be distracting if you're typing on a flat surface.

All of the cutouts for the buttons are very well-fitted. The bottom is obviously totally exposed. I'm fine with it, but some people might not like that.

Overall, it seems like a great case to protect against scratches. Definitely no drop/impact protection whatsoever. There is also no lip covering the screen. All of this is to be expected though! At least for me, I'll probably use the Veil almost every day, but if I go on vacation or something, I might go back to the silicone case for the added protection.

Attachments

• IMG_0268.JPG
    IMG_0268.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 325
  • IMG_0271.JPG
    IMG_0271.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    940.1 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    824.2 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    861.8 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I think I'll be getting the Veil off Amazon. Love the Spigen Air Skin I have but the lack of camera coverage annoys me. This will definitely fix the issue.

easheer

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2010
I think I'll be getting the Veil off Amazon. Love the Spigen Air Skin I have but the lack of camera coverage annoys me. This will definitely fix the issue.

Don't get it off Amazon or you'll get the old version without the revision for the camera cutout. I just ordered and received mine last week and was disappointed that I received the old version. However, after informing Amazon customer service that I received the old version of the case and asking for the revised version, they weren't able to do that since they aren't the seller, so they refunded my money and told me to keep the case! Love Amazon customer service.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Don't get it off Amazon or you'll get the old version without the revision for the camera cutout. I just ordered and received mine last week and was disappointed that I received the old version. However, after informing Amazon customer service that I received the old version of the case and asking for the revised version, they weren't able to do that since they aren't the seller, so they refunded my money and told me to keep the case! Love Amazon customer service.

Ugh, wtf. Just ordered it yesterday.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005

That's weird - I just bought a bunch of Veils on Amazon as stocking stuffers and they were all the new revised version. Did you try contacting Caudabe directly about the issue? Their customer service is very good in my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.