Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theriddler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
UK
Previously had Mavericks and recently did a clean install of Yosemite. My Windows installation is not shown in Startup Disk but I can still boot to it by pressing the Option key. Managed to use Windows a few times since installing Yosemite but one day, my Windows 8.1 installation went into BSOD when I tried to open my Mac drive in Windows Explorer.

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disk or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer.
Similar to this error.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...64-using/2e36ca4a-e288-4366-9801-e4ce1587f3d9

My Windows installation disk is from DreamSpark and I made a bootable USB from it using Boot Camp Assistant. This installation doesn't have a Repair your computer option – it straight goes to the install screen. There's some GPT MBR error for my BOOTCAMP disk if I attempt to choose that as the drive to install Windows to. I'm thinking it's due some disk partitioning issues?

I can still view my Windows files from Yosemite but I can't boot into it!

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Previously had Mavericks and recently did a clean install of Yosemite. My Windows installation is not shown in Startup Disk but I can still boot to it by pressing the Option key. Managed to use Windows a few times since installing Yosemite but one day, my Windows 8.1 installation went into BSOD when I tried to open my Mac drive in Windows Explorer.

Similar to this error.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...64-using/2e36ca4a-e288-4366-9801-e4ce1587f3d9

My Windows installation disk is from DreamSpark and I made a bootable USB from it using Boot Camp Assistant. This installation doesn't have a Repair your computer option – it straight goes to the install screen. There's some GPT MBR error for my BOOTCAMP disk if I attempt to choose that as the drive to install Windows to. I'm thinking it's due some disk partitioning issues?

I can still view my Windows files from Yosemite but I can't boot into it!

Your best option is to transfer all your data from the Boot Camp partition to an external drive or something like that first.

After that, remove the Boot Camp partition and re-create it again.

Then reinstall Windows and restore all your data.

I also kena the BSOD when I went to Yosemite, because Yosemite updated the SMC (and presumably the EFI). So I suspect that it somehow managed to mess up the Boot Camp partition.

If you don't mind shelling out a few bucks, WinClone Pro is a good option to clone your Boot Camp partition to an external drive and then restore it again. I wouldn't take this route though, I'd take the opportunity and do a fresh install of Windows.

theriddler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
UK
Your best option is to transfer all your data from the Boot Camp partition to an external drive or something like that first.

After that, remove the Boot Camp partition and re-create it again.

Then reinstall Windows and restore all your data.

I also kena the BSOD when I went to Yosemite, because Yosemite updated the SMC (and presumably the EFI). So I suspect that it somehow managed to mess up the Boot Camp partition.

If you don't mind shelling out a few bucks, WinClone Pro is a good option to clone your Boot Camp partition to an external drive and then restore it again. I wouldn't take this route though, I'd take the opportunity and do a fresh install of Windows.
Did you manage to reinstall Windows 8.1 alongside Yosemite? New problems arose: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1830533/

This BootCamp Backup is free:
http://www.paragon-software.com/support/betatesting/boot-camp-backup-beta/

I'll open the disk image and select files to copy over to my clean install later on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.