Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Hey everyone!

Here is the part that you all will think is funny. I laugh only so I don't cry... My son decided it would be a good idea to put the Lightning end of my iPhone cable in an electrical outlet. The good news is he is alive and the house didn't burn down. Now the bad... The other end was in my 21" iMac.

The iMac sounds like it turns on, but I do not get the usual mac "dong" noise and the screen does not come on. I'm assuming it is a lost cause, but wanted to get everyone's thought here. It is a 2009 core 2 duo, 512GB HD, 12GB ram. It is old, but worked great for our needs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 91

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hey everyone!

Here is the part that you all will think is funny. I laugh only so I don't cry... My son decided it would be a good idea to put the Lightning end of my iPhone cable in an electrical outlet. The good news is he is alive and the house didn't burn down. Now the bad... The other end was in my 21" iMac.

The iMac sounds like it turns on, but I do not get the usual mac "dong" noise and the screen does not come on. I'm assuming it is a lost cause, but wanted to get everyone's thought here. It is a 2009 core 2 duo, 512GB HD, 12GB ram. It is old, but worked great for our needs.

Glad your son is okay. Any chance your house insurance would cover the loss?

Silvrbill

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2013
That's some real bad luck there.
He had a 50/50 chance of plugging it into the neutral........
Sorry to say he picked the side that would do you the most harm.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
That's some real bad luck there.
He had a 50/50 chance of plugging it into the neutral........
Sorry to say he picked the side that would do you the most harm.

If it weren't for bad luck? Anyone think it's worth taking to Apple to repair? Or just bite the bullet and get a new one?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Looks like it's time for a new Mac. I'll guess either the internal power supply or the motherboard itself got burnt.

If you weren't backed up, and there is important stuff on the burned-out iMac's internal drive, you could open it up and physically remove the old hard drive. Then, buy a USB3/SATA "docking station", and connect it to the NEW Mac.

If the old drive is able to spin up and mount on the desktop, you may be able to get your old stuff off of it.

And... time for a serious talk with that 11-year-old...

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Looks like it's time for a new Mac. I'll guess either the internal power supply or the motherboard itself got burnt.

If you weren't backed up, and there is important stuff on the burned-out iMac's internal drive, you could open it up and physically remove the old hard drive. Then, buy a USB3/SATA "docking station", and connect it to the NEW Mac.

If the old drive is able to spin up and mount on the desktop, you may be able to get your old stuff off of it.

And... time for a serious talk with that 11-year-old...

It was backed up, so we should be good there unless it fried the external HD too. I'll have to hook that up to my wife's computer and check.

The talk and subsequent punishment are already complete.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.