Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
This past Monday I picked up an iPhone 6 through Best Buy mobile. It was to be a gift for my mom. I paid her fees in the 5s she had so that the line would be eligible for Next through ATT over web chat. I was told that I could upgrade and then just ship the phone or return it to a Core store.

Today I went into a core store and was told they don't take phones unless I buy another phone for them as they have no way to record the phone being turned in. This didn't make sense to me so I went to another ATT core store and was told the same. They actually told me Best Buy was supposed to have taken my previous phone (which I know for a fact is not correct).

So I got on the phone with ATT and an hour and fifteen minutes later we settled in them emailig me a shipping label. By the way, the first address they asked me about had never ever been our address... When I asked about why the store woukdnt take my phone the rep went on about the fact that my account was a premier account and that its up to the store itself. "We are technically different entities" was literally what I was told...

When I asked how I prove the ohone that I am shipping is I the condition that it is in (no cracks, scratches, sings, etc) he basically said to wrap well in newspaper. He promised to notate the account (right because that will make a difference).

I'm a little frustrated wth the whole process. I now have to find a box, wrap the phone nicely, and turn it in someolace (I was told UPS, USPS, or Fedex all work) and hope that it gets to ATT without issues.

I would like to know if anyone has been able to just drop a phone off with ATT (core store) after having upgraded from a different store. I just don't understand why it had to be this difficult for me. It seems just as easy for a core store to take a phone regardless of whether I am buying something from them at that point in time or not.

I've uploaded a screenshot of my phone all timer just for fun... What an enjoyable phone call lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 576

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I know it is not easy sometimes but I found always buying from a Apple Store to be the best as dealing with Best Buy or even ATT can be a problem.

Hope it works out.

Apple would not have taken the device in either. I actually tried Apple beforehand and they wanted me to buy online to reserve in store. That's not an option with Next.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Decided to try online chat...

Originally the rep told me my only option was to return the 6 to BB and buy from an ATT core store.

I asked why I had received a shipping label via email and was told "oh, then just ship it back"...

Why on earth am I being told different things from different reps? Next isn't that new...

Apparently the shipping label will work with USPS, Fedex, or UPS. Any tips on how I should package this thing? Last thing I want happening is damages claimed to be my fault in transit....

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
ATT COR stores CAN NOT take back your old NEXT phone unless you purchased the phone AND received the phone from the ATT store at that moment. If you bought it elsewhere, COR cannot assist.

Last edited:

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Decided to try online chat...

Originally the rep told me my only option was to return the 6 to BB and buy from an ATT core store.

I asked why I had received a shipping label via email and was told "oh, then just ship it back"...

Why on earth am I being told different things from different reps? Next isn't that new...

Apparently the shipping label will work with USPS, Fedex, or UPS. Any tips on how I should package this thing? Last thing I want happening is damages claimed to be my fault in transit....
Shipping it back is your only option with Premier with the complicated transaction you have. You can try a different store because it is up to the store to accept it.

Last edited:

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
This past Monday I picked up an iPhone 6 through Best Buy mobile. It was to be a gift for my mom. I paid her fees in the 5s she had so that the line would be eligible for Next through ATT over web chat. I was told that I could upgrade and then just ship the phone or return it to a Core store.

Today I went into a core store and was told they don't take phones unless I buy another phone for them as they have no way to record the phone being turned in. This didn't make sense to me so I went to another ATT core store and was told the same. They actually told me Best Buy was supposed to have taken my previous phone (which I know for a fact is not correct).

So I got on the phone with ATT and an hour and fifteen minutes later we settled in them emailig me a shipping label. By the way, the first address they asked me about had never ever been our address... When I asked about why the store woukdnt take my phone the rep went on about the fact that my account was a premier account and that its up to the store itself. "We are technically different entities" was literally what I was told...

When I asked how I prove the ohone that I am shipping is I the condition that it is in (no cracks, scratches, sings, etc) he basically said to wrap well in newspaper. He promised to notate the account (right because that will make a difference).

I'm a little frustrated wth the whole process. I now have to find a box, wrap the phone nicely, and turn it in someolace (I was told UPS, USPS, or Fedex all work) and hope that it gets to ATT without issues.

I would like to know if anyone has been able to just drop a phone off with ATT (core store) after having upgraded from a different store. I just don't understand why it had to be this difficult for me. It seems just as easy for a core store to take a phone regardless of whether I am buying something from them at that point in time or not.

I've uploaded a screenshot of my phone all timer just for fun... What an enjoyable phone call lol.

I went to AT&T store last month to see if I could upgrade to iPhone 6 they told me I can so Space Grey 6 Plus was not in the stock so have to order it so it takes about a month to arrive at the store instead at my home. When I got an email saying it was arrived at AT&T store so next day I went to pick it up and activated from there. I asked what should I do with iPhone 5S she told me to keep it but I told her that other reps told me to return it when I picked new phone she did't know that she went to check with manager and came back she said to give it to her. So I gave her iPhone 5S and went home with my iPhone 6 Plus...3 days later I received text message from AT&T store told me to come back and pick up my iPhone 5S and ship it by myself (BY MYSELF???) I don't understand?? So I went back to the store and asked me where is returned shipped box that comes with iPhone 6 I don't have it she threw it away so she called AT&T and asked for shipping label. I wait then got shipping label and she gave me used box but she does all the work for me while I watched....when it is done she gave me the box and I went to the post office to ship the box. That was it. I asked her why can't AT&T store ship it for me she told me it was not AT&T responsible to ship it anyway. :apple:

By the way, I bought iPhone 5S from core store in NYC and upgraded at AT&T store in California.

Last edited:

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
I went to AT&T store last month to see if I could upgrade to iPhone 6 they told me I can so Space Grey 6 Plus was not in the stock so have to order it so it takes about a month to arrive at the store instead at my home. When I got an email saying it was arrived at AT&T store so next day I went to pick it up and activated from there. I asked what should I do with iPhone 5S she told me to keep it but I told her that other reps told me to return it when I picked new phone she did't know that she went to check with manager and came back she said to give it to her. So I gave her iPhone 5S and went home with my iPhone 6 Plus...3 days later I received text message from AT&T store told me to come back and pick up my iPhone 5S and ship it by myself (BY MYSELF???) I don't understand?? So I went back to the store and asked me where is returned shipped box that comes with iPhone 6 I don't have it she threw it away so she called AT&T and asked for shipping label. I wait then got shipping label and she gave me used box but she does all the work for me while I watched....when it is done she gave me the box and I went to the post office to ship the box. That was it. I asked her why can't AT&T store ship it for me she told me it was not AT&T responsible to ship it anyway. :apple:

This is correct, if it is ordered, when you receive your new phone, the shipping label for your old phone should have been in the box. The customer is responsible for returning their old phone.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Shipping it back is your only option with Premie with the complicated transaction you have. You try a different store because it is up to the store to accept it.

The you misunderstood me. I bought a phone on Next from Best Buy. My previous phone (aslo on Next) is owned by AT&T; I must therefore return it to them.

EDIT: You must have edited your post as I quoted you

----------

Shipping it back is your only option with Premier with the complicated transaction you have. You can try a different store because it is up to the store to accept it.

So... if it's my only option, how is it up to the store? This is what confuses me...

----------

By the way, I bought iPhone 5S from core store in NYC and upgraded at AT&T store in California.

I got the shipping labels. That's not the problem. My issue is that I was told I could return it to an AT&T store if I didn't want to ship. And I still don;t understand why that isn't possible.

I guess I have concluded that I need to ship the damn thing. Just disappointed that so many different people told me so many different things. Had I known this was the way I had to go from the getgo I may have taken a different approach.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
The you misunderstood me. I bought a phone on Next from Best Buy. My previous phone (aslo on Next) is owned by AT&T; I must therefore return it to them.

EDIT: You must have edited your post as I quoted you

----------

So... if it's my only option, how is it up to the store? This is what confuses me...

----------

I got the shipping labels. That's not the problem. My issue is that I was told I could return it to an AT&T store if I didn't want to ship. And I still don;t understand why that isn't possible.

I guess I have concluded that I need to ship the damn thing. Just disappointed that so many different people told me so many different things. Had I known this was the way I had to go from the getgo I may have taken a different approach.

Maybe they don't trust employees take care of shipping back they fear that they might break it they might blame you and fined very harshly fee. I don't think you want to trust them do you? :apple:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Maybe they don't trust employees take care of shipping back they fear that they might break it they might blame you and fined very harshly fee. I don't think you want to trust them do you? :apple:

I simply don't see it as any different than if I had bought my following device from them. They won't let you ship it back in that case; they require you leave it with them. I imagine they takes look at the phone at that point and mark it off. What happens between then and when it's shipped is no longer we the consumer's problem. Makes no sense why turning the phone in requires me to buy another one though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.