Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcrenard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
I'm running Windows 7 on Macbook Pro Retina (late 2013) with boot camp. I also have Windows 8 installed on external USB hard drive.

I'm trying to run an external graphics card through a thunderbolt-connected enclosure, in order to do run 3D graphics programs better because my internal GPU (Geforce 750M) can only handle so much.

If I shutdown my macbook, plug in the thunderbolt cable connecting my external GPU and try to power on the macbook, it goes to black screen, will not 'chime' and boot up. Have tried powering on with 'alt' key pressed, with no luck. And I've read that boot camp will only load thunderbolt devices if they're connected before booting up.

Crazy part is, I've actually been able to successfully boot up with thunderbolt cable attached twice now in many dozens of tries. So I know it can be done, and have seen it done in several instances with others' machines with identical specs.

Thanks

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I'm running Windows 7 on Macbook Pro Retina (late 2013) with boot camp. I also have Windows 8 installed on external USB hard drive.

I'm trying to run an external graphics card through a thunderbolt-connected enclosure, in order to do run 3D graphics programs better because my internal GPU (Geforce 750M) can only handle so much.

If I shutdown my macbook, plug in the thunderbolt cable connecting my external GPU and try to power on the macbook, it goes to black screen, will not 'chime' and boot up. Have tried powering on with 'alt' key pressed, with no luck. And I've read that boot camp will only load thunderbolt devices if they're connected before booting up.

Crazy part is, I've actually been able to successfully boot up with thunderbolt cable attached twice now in many dozens of tries. So I know it can be done, and have seen it done in several instances with others' machines with identical specs.

Thanks

Windows 7 won't work with eGPUs nicely.

Windows 8.1 installed in a UEFI environment can work with a Sonnet IIID + NVIDIA GTX card, plug and play.

I have a similar setup (late-2013 15" rMBP, Sonnet IIID and GTX 780 Ti, connected via TB2). All I do is just to plug in the setup when holding down Option, boot into Windows and then the card shows up.

jcrenard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
Mine won't boot in Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, with eGPU connected. Been focusing on Windows 8.1, refuses to boot up with 'chime' if eGPU is powered up. Yet for you, it's working plug and play. Only difference is you're using the sonnet III. No other suggestions?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Mine won't boot in Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, with eGPU connected. Been focusing on Windows 8.1, refuses to boot up with 'chime' if eGPU is powered up. Yet for you, it's working plug and play. Only difference is you're using the sonnet III. No other suggestions?

Nope. I got the Sonnet IIID because it was the most reliable PCIe chassis that played nice with TB2 on a Mac. It's pricey, but totally hassle free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.