Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Hi everyone. I, like a lot of you, have an iPhone 6 and overall enjoy the device.

However, I have noticed that when I am toggling through the different camera modes, the slo-mo mode looks much more grainy and blurry than the other options...even the preview on the screen... Is this normal? I do understand that the videos won't be as high of quality as regular videos (720p vs 1080p) but it just looks...disappointing.

Has anyone else noticed this? Do you think I ought to get it checked out by a "genius?"

Thanks for your input. I will post some examples here shortly.

kaiseryeahhh

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2013
Spain
Hi everyone. I, like a lot of you, have an iPhone 6 and overall enjoy the device.

However, I have noticed that when I am toggling through the different camera modes, the slo-mo mode looks much more grainy and blurry than the other options...even the preview on the screen... Is this normal? I do understand that the videos won't be as high of quality as regular videos (720p vs 1080p) but it just looks...disappointing.

Has anyone else noticed this? Do you think I ought to get it checked out by a "genius?"

Thanks for your input. I will post some examples here shortly.

240fps capture less light than 120fps and less a standard video.
It's designed for use in daylight

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
I used the slo-mo to video a friend's golf swing yesterday (in full daylight). The video was extremely crisp and clear, no grain or blur at all. His club head speed is slightly upward of 100 mph, but I'm able to stop the video at any point during the swing and the still image is very crisp, with no motion blur. I'm actually pretty impressed with the slo-mo capability.

I don't have a detailed understanding of how the iPhone camera itself works, but I understand how cameras in general work. If you're shooting in low light, the iPhone camera most likely increases the ISO as high as it can to try to maintain the necessary shutter speed, which will lead to grain. If the light isn't sufficient to keep a high enough shutter speed, the potential is there for blurriness. So if you're shooting in low light, I wouldn't expect anywhere near the same quality as if you were using the slo-mo in full, bright daylight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.