Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
Unfortunately, you're incorrect. Based on the 2010 census, 80.7% of the US population lives within Urban areas (where high speed internet is abundant), only 19.3% of the US live in rural areas (where my parents still only have dial-up as an option).

And as of June 2013 the average connection speed was 8.7 Mbit/s, which considering Netflix recommends 5.0 Mbit/s for HD viewing means theres a lot of very crappy abundant "high-speed" Internet access out there, not to mention the terribly slow speed the FCC qualifies as broadband.

ecopod

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
Wish the UK had more content said:
Definitely much more on US Netflix, I set Apple TV to US settings (extra channels and US Netflix) and then access UK Netflix via my TV's Netflix app, works very well and gives best of both worlds.

For the price '£5.99' it's great VFM.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Definitely much more on US Netflix, I set Apple TV to US settings (extra channels and US Netflix) and then access UK Netflix via my TV's Netflix app, works very well and gives best of both worlds.

For the price '£5.99' it's great VFM.

Well it would be. Your £5.99 doesn't buy you the right to access the US services. You're only paying for the UK licensed content.

Last edited:

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
No, that information was only provided after I signed my lease, and after multiple inquiries as to why I was unable to get a faster connection. The agent told me it had Comcast, but never so in writing. Silly me, I was told the place had high speed internet, and having lived in three other places here that always had Comcast I simply assumed. I'm a student, and have been so for some time, so I am always looking for someplace cheaper and quieter. It was my mistake to not ask. I should state though that my limited choice of ISP is really my only complaint.

My point before was that I doubt that I am the only one who sits in a city with above average speeds that doesn't have access to them. There is a need for being able to download, or buffer content even if the bandwidth technology improves.

Edit: I should add that Century Link advertises much faster speeds than 5MB, but refuses to upgrade their equipment for my community to support them. When I called Century Link to set up 50MB plan the guy I set up my service told me I had access to 7MB. Being my only option I took it. When I called in because I was rarely getting more than 3 MB, they told me that while I was on a 7MB plan the equipment that managed my location only supported up to 5MB. They kindly offered me an email address that it seems no one ever checks.

Sounds like you need to talk to a lawyer about century link. You asked for a certain service. They are charging you for that service. But are not giving you that service.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Sounds like you need to talk to a lawyer about century link. You asked for a certain service. They are charging you for that service. But are not giving you that service.

Oddly, they charge the same no matter what your speed is. When I signed up they had a promo where it was $35 for 1MB, 5MB, or 7MB. I don't have the time or resources to fight this, especially at an address I don't own.

zaphon

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003

Unless CenturyLink is different from every other ISP, read the contract. You will have no chance of getting anything. Most of them flat out guarantee NOTHING in their contracts.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
No, does that make it right to steal it?

I'm not advocating pirating content, but pointing out that while you can use iTunes for offline viewing of a subset of content, that is not the case for Netflix original programming, so your rebuttal doesn't adequately counter the argument you were responding to.

I don't necessarily agree with the person you were responding to (who was advocating using illegitimate means while NOT subscribing to Netflix). However, I think it's reasonable to have a Netflix subscription and also download Netflix content through illegitimate means in order to have a backup option in case Netflix streaming fails to work (which it does often, at least in my experience as a Verizon FIOS subscriber, so not necessarily Netflix's fault). This may still be illegal or at least violate Netflix terms of service, but I think it is morally ok, and it would be a stretch to call it "stealing".

As I indicated elsewhere in this thread, I'm of the opinion that the user experience is considerably better for pirating content vs consuming it legitimately. Personally, I consume all my content legitimately whenever possible, but my experience is poor because of this. Even iTunes movie downloads have failed for me, or taken an unreasonable amount of time to complete (i.e. torrenting it would have been much faster and more reliable). Don't even get me started on streaming content (of which Apple has been the most unreliable in my experience).

I'm not advocating pirated content, but the fact is it's not just getting things for free that motivates people to go the piracy route, it's also that they often get a better user experience.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
And as others have pointed out, there are other options ranging from DVD/BLU-RAY to Apple/Google/Etc. However none of them are UNLIMITED for $7.99 a month. At the low end you might see $2.99 per movie. Netflix is a streaming service, it's their business. If you can't utilize them due to this, I suggest you utilize one of the alternatives. You can only vote with your wallet.

exactly, i quit netflix once they split their streaming from rentals. When I wrote them an email explaining why, they offered me 6 months free streaming to keep me. I said its not even worth the 6 months what you did to all of us.

I used to watch 3-5 movies per month between stream and disc. To pay double that now its crazy.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Netflix customers hoping for offline viewing on their iPad or iPhone may have to wait indefinitely for the feature to be supported by the streaming service. Speaking to TechRadar, Netflix director of corporate communications and technology Cliff Edwards said offline viewing is "never going to happen."

Edwards asserts that offline viewing is a "short term fix" that doesn't address the bigger issue of sparse public Wi-Fi access. In the next five years, Edwards believes the expansion of public Wi-Fi and cellular coverage will make the idea of offline viewing obsolete. With a ubiquitous Internet connection, customers won't need to download as they will be able stream all the time.

Instead of working to support offline viewing, Netflix has been focusing on original programming, with twenty new series planned for the coming years. The company also has been moving forward with 4K content and steadily improving its iOS app, recently adding support for iOS 8 and 1080p HD streaming on the iPhone 6 Plus.

Article Link: Netflix Executive: Offline Viewing 'Never Going to Happen'

This is a stupid statement! The Health Club I use blocks streaming. Many of the public Hotspots in my experience block streaming!

They need to get real!

adbsideload

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2014
Oh what a shame. I was totally buzzing about watching the 18 shows Netflix offers offline.

Shape up lads. Torrenting is much better than your service.

Torrents? This isn't 2004. File sharing hosts are way better, and have guaranteed speeds which don't depend on random stranger's computers being online. Torrents, like Netflix, make you wait weeks for something you want to watch ^_^

thalazy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2012
In a van down by the river.
I like Netflix and all

but they are going to lose too many customers. They are constantly upping fee's for new content such as 4K. Maybe they should throw a customer a bone for sticking with them or to continue to keep subscribing.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
"In the next five years, Edwards believes the expansion of public Wi-Fi and cellular coverage will make the idea of offline viewing obsolete."

That's in cities, in the US. When are these people going to realise that most people don't live in cities with Western Internet speeds?

Actually, it's not that great in the USA. For great internet speed in public places, you have to in certain parts of Europe or Korea/Japan.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Torrents? This isn't 2004. File sharing hosts are way better, and have guaranteed speeds which don't depend on random stranger's computers being online. Torrents, like Netflix, make you wait weeks for something you want to watch ^_^

Other than BBC iPlayer, Torrents are the fastest functioning thing on my connection.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
You are obviously not a frequent flyer. Satellite internet is very slow and streaming video is always blocked.

I am a frequent flyer. I said "becoming more frequent". I recognize it's not quite ideal yet.

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
I live in one of the largest cities in Colorado and the only ISP I can get is Century Link. When the development was built the HOA signed an exclusive agreement with them to cover the cost of wiring the buildings. Now the agreement has expired but no one will run a line to our buildings because it isn't cost effective. Century Link has no motivation to upgrade the line they gave us since they already have 100% of the business here. So we are stuck with a 5 MB connection that really only gets 4 MB.

We only have Netflix for tv (since the HOA also signed a deal with DISH), and I can tell you that Netflix works well most of the time. The only time it really gives us an issue is if we want to use the internet for anything else at the same time. Netflix feeds adjust on the fly for bandwidth so you can occasionally see a shift resolution. However if you try and load an HD video from someplace else, especially YouTube, it runs into issues almost every time. The ads run fine, of course, but the content doesn't buffer fast enough.

I would love to be able to queue a TV series by downloading it so could maximize playback quality. I have no reason to believe that my service will be any better in the next 5 years.

That sounds awful, I hate those kind of exclusive agreements, I've been there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.