Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmy1984

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
My Dad refuses to give up WordPerfect. He wants to use his MacBook Air, but he is unwilling to consider an alternative (like MS Office, OpenOffice, NeoOffice, etc.)

What are the options to help him easily run WP on his MacBook air? Has anyone had any success recently?

Has anyone done it with Boot Camp or Parallels?

I'm trying to come up with the easiest and most straight forward solution for him.

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
What version of WordPerfect? I'm guessing not the DOS 5.1 version although that would make sense to hold on to. If it's a Windows version, blech.

For Windows programs you could try something like winebottler or Crossover (paid app) that will package the program and run it easy like it was an OS X application. You can search compatibility on the crossover web page. It does work pretty good but WP is mostly untested because no one uses it :p

jimmy1984

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
Thanks for the replys...its WP X5.

I'll check into Crossover. I had heard some folks said it didn't work in parallels, so I was looking for anyone who has used X5 successfully on Mac.

Nothing else worth using exists in his mind #

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I can't see any reason it wouldn't work in Parallels. It's just software running in the virtual OS.

I only use VMWare Fusion but that is another option especially if you use bootcamp already so it's not wasting so much space just to run 1 program. Fusion has something called Unity and you can launch a Windows program and Fusion will hide all the Windows stuff and just show WordPerfect. Similar effect to Crossover but more likely to work correctly at the disadvantage to storing an entire OS virtual machine behind the scenes.

I do like using Crossover for little Windows programs I still need but I've never tried a big old program like WP X5.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
dunno if this will help or not:

Wordperfect for the Mac (which runs in OS 9 or the classic environment) is a free download.

Since classic on Snow Leopard won't run on the Macbook Air, you'd have to run it in an emulator, like SheepSaver.

Here's the info and links to the downloads:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64325719/Getting_Started_with_WP_Mac.pdf

I use SheepShaver every day, because I love to play the old Mahjong solitaire game Shanghai II.

SheepShaver starts up super fast, runs seamlessly, never crashes...mind you, it runs within a box, never goes full screen, and you dedicate 1 GB (or less) to the installation, but it's heaps of fun.

If you happen to need to go the Genius Bar, they're totally nonplussed when you run OS 9 software in front of them!

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
If you happen to need to go the Genius Bar, they're totally nonplussed when you run OS 9 software in front of them!

A couple of months back, I took my MBP into the Genius Bar for a possible battery replacement. The Genius booted it into a hardware test program whose menu bars and other GUI elements had the "platinum" interface of OS 8/9. I don't know what the program was, but I was quite amused to see that the OS 9 still(somewhat) lives on in internal Apple software.

Incidentally, for typing and printing a quick note or letter, I can generally boot my Quadra 700 into System 7.5, boot Word Perfect, and print on my Personal LaserWriter 300 faster than I can get a newer computer to connect to my wireless printer. Plus, with the Quadra, I have the pleasure of typing on the Apple Extended Keyboard. The Quadra and Laserwriter have been together for a long time, and I found documents from as recently as 2010 on it when I got it-despite the fact that I moved a PM G3 and a 2005 model eMac out of the same office. I guess the previous owner found the Quadra/Word Perfect combo faster and easier to use as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.