Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dejoka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2014
Hi,
Im going to buy a laptop for me, and im wondering between two:
Macbook air with 8 gb ram, i7 1.7-3.3 ghz, 128 ssd, nd external drive
Macbook pro with 8 gb ram, i5 2.6-3.1, 128 ssd
I will be using it for music, films, interner and autocad(through bootcamp probably)!
Can you help me which one should i get?
How big is difference between intel iris graphics and intel hd graphics 5000?
Will this laptops smoothly run autocad for small projects?
I also appreciate long life battery, and i want this laptop for many years.
Ps. I will use external monitor in house - most of time.
Ps.2 maybe you have some older macbooks that will beter suits for me?
Cya, thx for help
Poor student

charles6980

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2014
As neither model's RAM is upgrade-able, it's a good choice to take as much as you can get.

Both machine's internal SSD/flash storage modules might be upgradeable soon, so choosing the lowest end and upgrading in a year or two might save you money now, and help you keep your machine up-to-date for a longer period (maybe your entire course).

The i7 will probably serve you better for the engineering tasks ahead, where the i5 lacks a little power.

You should check whether your CAD software is usable with the Macbook Pro's retina display. With an external monitor, the Retina display will be of little use, though.

Considering your planned use of lots of external devices, you should consider that there's only a few connectors on the Macbook Air for external stuff.

Other than that, it's a matter of personal taste.

dejoka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2014
Thx for help.
I watched some kind of comparing i5 which is in mbpro, and i7 in air, and air kinda win. Im going to have 8 gb ram, i7, i think itll be good.
I just want external drive, some pendrive, external monitor( i have samsung syncmaster 2333hd - its possible to plug in it?), and mouse. Thats it
I dont need retina, cause most of time it will be connected to my monitor so its waste of money.
If somebody worked on autocad for windows on this mb air( i7, 8 gb ram) just tell me your opinions about it and general stuff like battery life, temperatures, noise etc
I forget its i7 also dual core but with higher core frequency). Up to 3.3 i think its better than i5 :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.