Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
I posted this elsewhere also. I had massive similar issues on Mavericks with disconnecting wifi on a Mac Pro and MBP but got this fixed after a chat with a very savvy 2nd line Apple Support rep. I'd been through 3 peeps at Apple before plus eons of time wasted with BT Support.

Anyway long story short was that enabling two wifi networks (2.4ghz and 5ghz) at the same time with the same credentials - network name and password - (as instructed by BT I might add!) was causing the issue. Changing the name of the 5ghz network cured this problem immediately and I have had absolutely zero issues since, even after installing Yosemite.

Try this, it might just work for you as it did for me.

Seems to have done the trick :D

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
My Magic Mouse still drops BT connection at least once a day. Guess I'm thankful I have no wifi issues to speak of
No BT connection issue here, but I just can't find the setting to make it invisible, as it always should be when not actively seeking a peripheral. And this MB isn't compatible with Handoff (or is it the iPhone?), so I can't see why it's always visible.

the problem users wants to whine... OS X is free, every update have new features and under the hood improvements, but if you read internet forums seems nothing works...
Seems to me they bet everything on new features without any attention to improving what was already there. iCloud has surely evolved, but surely not improved.

It's not the only thing that's suffering…yeah, I'm looking at you iOS. We need a Snow Leopard across the board next year. They need to tighten all of the nuts and bolts and fine-tune everything for performance. There should be a tick-tock cycle for performance updates and feature updates. Or at least make it 3/4 performance, and 1/4 features, and then 3/4 features, and 1/4 performance. You know, make it faster and add a new thing or two, then next time add a bunch of new things and streamline one or two things. That way it at least seems like progress is being made across the board. Right now it's more like 90% features 10% fixes every year. But the new features end up causing more than 10% of things to be broken, so then we end up with a 5-10% more buggy OS every year, and it adds up over time to make things suck. It's great to have new features, but not if it degrades the overall experience for many users. Otherwise what is the point, Apple?
Please :apple:. SL was bold in not introducing any new features, only improvements that were more than welcome (except the loss of PPC support, Apple could have cut that in Lion).

So many times during the day I have to toggle my WiFi switch to get it to reconnect, and other times I have to go into settings to get it to show up. It's not just the new AC chips either, I had this problem with my iPad Mini 2 running iOS 8, and it even had a lot of problems on my home WiFi which is an Apple Airport Extreme.
To Apple's discharge, I have been experiencing wifi issues with my iOS 6-running iPad 2 as well. Each time I need to connect to a WPA2 Enterprise network, I have to manually select the network, or toggle off and back on between airplane mode and regular. Or wifi access points that need to receive a click on a browser button. Pretty much every kind of non-standard configuration.

And the Yosemite-running MB still has wifi problems. Occasional "live" disconnections (stays hooked to the network but no data flowing, just got one as of this post), and permanently-empty 802.1X network preferences tab. And error messages as to the impossibility of sharing a 802.1X-secured connection (which worked flawlessly in SL).

In 2014 (almost 2015), WiFi is the one thing that should never break on your device. It's critical to everything! Companies like Apple want us to store everything in the cloud, and yet the devices they sell us can't even reliably connect to this cloud.
Well to be honest this is not just Apple's problem. Connections themselves are still unreliable in public places and will never ever rely on a cloud-only computer or software. Just as another poster claimed email was the buggiest protocol to date with all its malfunctions, I put forth that over-reliance on cloud connections will decrease user's experience.

And Yosemite is sloooooooooooooow on a non-cylindrical late model Mac Pro.
Even on that powerhouse?? :eek: I thought my mid-2009 MB may finally not have enough grunt for Yosemite, but seems the problem is deeper.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
Hi ---

I don't know why MacRumors keep portraying this a WiFi Problem.

No one complains about loosing their WLAN. They loose their Internet Connect as in possibility to resolve DNS. Thats it.

WIFI works great. If it would be a WIFI issue people would loose their WLAN all the time. This is NOT a WIFI Problem.
In fact as the problem appears the user ARE connected to their WLAN.

Aside from that, you also get this problem when connecting an ethernet cable to the router. It is a DNS Issue, somehow.

I am most certainly losing my WLAN intermittently.

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
How does a Windows machine with issues mitigate problems for a Mac user?:confused: People want their OSX/iOS issues resolved. Most are already aware of Windows issues, which is why they have a Mac. Apple needs to fix Mac issues. Let MS worry about Windows.

I was referring to the pain Windows has for everyday people and not being an easy fix sometimes. Didn't make it clear in my post. These issues are clearly in the minority.

My upgrade has gone pretty smoothly and Wi-Fi not being an issue at all. Although, the new font is a totally different matter.

Fiestaman

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
I am most certainly losing my WLAN intermittently.

Same here. I'm tired of these clowns thinking they're smarter than everyone and saying there is no issue. That's a crock of crap and shows how little they know. This is a known issue...simple. I am still waiting for Apple to get their act together and fix this. Each new update seems to be worse than the first, since they don't fix the problems in the previous version and introduce several more. I can't even love Apple anymore. Bleh.

myforwik

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2014
Yeah the apple fanboyism here is ridiculous... claiming that thousands of people with problems are lying and/or must just have bad wifi.

I have tonnes of wifi devices and PCs and Mac's and idevices. Only the macs running Yosemite have a problem, and the problem goes away completely when I downgrade to mavericks.

The problem I have is that internet just stops. LAN activity continues, but WAN seems to never progress beyond bonjour/DNS - which seems to be where the issue is. If I turn wifi off then back on - it goes back to working normally again - but for some random amount of time.

I knew 10.10.1 would not fix it, because I was so desperate I was trying out the beta. I will try 10.10.2.... Disappointing how long it has taken apple to *not* fix this.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
At work, my WiFi drops out every ~20 seconds, and then reconnects a few seconds later. It does this literally ALL DAY LONG, and it's driving me insane. It doesn't seem to be triggered by anything that I'm doing - it just seems completely random, and completely intermittent.

The latest update definitely has improved it - sometimes it'll stay connected for up to 30 minutes before it starts the dropping out malarkey. But I mean... COME ON.

One very confusing thing is that my WiFi at home works 100% on the same laptop. So I've no idea if the problem even lies with my laptop, or the WiFi at work. On the other hand though, my iPhone has no trouble with the WiFi either at work or at home, which suggests the laptop is at fault - but only with work WiFi. So I'm completely lost.

Similar experience. On Mavericks and Yosemite I've never had WiFi issues at home, but every time I start/wake up my MacBook at my university it connects...then disconnects and I have to turn WiFi off and back on. After that initial time (that occurs with 100% frequency) it usually does t mess up again, but it can.

OxOOCOFFEE

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
WIFI disconnect - Anyone seen this?

I noticed that when I am doing dd to external sd card (USB converter) trought external USB 3 hub I get constituently disconnected. My WIFI indicator shows full bars but not internet connection. While dd still going I turn off and on WIFI and internet is back for minute or so. This is reproducible overtime. I did reported this to apple but as always never feedback back. When dd finishes Internet stays more stable. I did try this several time and always same results.
Anyone noticed this? Could this be indication of real WIFI problem?

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I had wifi issues on mavericks, it took forever to connect, sometimes forcing me to disable/reenable wifi. with Yosemite, I get periodic downtime... on two different networks, same stupid symptoms. Gotta do some more testing. I did a clean install of yosemite.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Tim Cook really should resign. iOS problems, Yosemite problems, screen issues on new iPhone, creaky cases on rMPB. This company is falling apart. The last two apple products I bought had to be replaced multiple times.

I'm definitely not upgrading to Yosemite any time soon. Maybe 10.10.2?

Tim Cook is not going to resign. Not because of Yosemite problems. Nobody cares about the Mac platform these days, except for Mac users. Everybody is looking at the iPhone. Not even the decline in iPad sales, which is the second darling of Apple, is causing people to request Tim Cook's removal.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Tim Cook really should resign. iOS problems, Yosemite problems, screen issues on new iPhone, creaky cases on rMPB. This company is falling apart. The last two apple products I bought had to be replaced multiple times.

I'm definitely not upgrading to Yosemite any time soon. Maybe 10.10.2?

And record sales and profits of Macs and iPhones, can't forget that. They're going to fire him any day now...

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Good think i continue to stat on 10.9.5, and test 10.10.1 in VM.

I'm just waiting on a permanent fix *eyes are glued to MR*

portra777

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2015
The way that Apple integrated Thunderbolt technology was ridiculous, because it interferes with the wifi adapter. Simply click your wifi icon in the upper-right of the screen. Go down to and select "open network preferences." Then click on the Thunderbolt option. Turn off all options for Thunderbolt. Then remove Thunderbolt as an option. You should get a message pop-up which tells you that Thunderbolt is using your connection or adapter. Just remove it anyway. Once Thunderbolt has been removed, click "apply" and then close it out. Your wifi adapter will not have any more issue staying connected...at least it shouldn't.

If you are utilizing Thunderbolt, then I don't have a solution for you. But if you are NOT using Thunderbolt, then simply remove it. Happy always-on connecting.

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
The way that Apple integrated Thunderbolt technology was ridiculous, because it interferes with the wifi adapter. Simply click your wifi icon in the upper-right of the screen. Go down to and select "open network preferences." Then click on the Thunderbolt option. Turn off all options for Thunderbolt. Then remove Thunderbolt as an option. You should get a message pop-up which tells you that Thunderbolt is using your connection or adapter. Just remove it anyway. Once Thunderbolt has been removed, click "apply" and then close it out. Your wifi adapter will not have any more issue staying connected...at least it shouldn't.

If you are utilizing Thunderbolt, then I don't have a solution for you. But if you are NOT using Thunderbolt, then simply remove it. Happy always-on connecting.
Not only is this thread a year old with a year old problem, a whole new OS version is out now..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.