Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I got tired of tripping over my second G5 tower, so decided to take it in to work to use as my desktop.

This one is a 2.0 dual core with 10gb of RAM. Truth be told, it's a much better computer than the main G5 I use at home(single 1.8), but I've spent enough time getting the home one set up the way I like it that I don't really want to move it.

In any case, I have this one set up with Office 08 and Endnote X4, which are the main things I need for work. One of the professors in department also told me that he still had his old copy of ChemOffice for PowerPC($1000+ when new) that I was welcome to as he no longer has a computer that will run it.

The 23" monitor came from Surplus.

All said and done, I'm happy with the set-up. I will be even happier when we move to our new lab and I have more desk space :)

IMG_1062-1.jpg

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
That's neat! Altemose also brought his G5 to school and uses it for yearbook. I haven't bought a desktop to school lately but the last time I did I brought my iMac G4. Lots of looks! Was sitting next to a late 2012 21.5" iMac.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
That's neat! Altemose also brought his G5 to school and uses it for yearbook. I haven't bought a desktop to school lately but the last time I did I brought my iMac G4. Lots of looks! Was sitting next to a late 2012 21.5" iMac.

Surprisingly it is doing a good job on yearbook duty. Unfortunately, the site uses all Adobe Flash and so I can't sign onto it with my G5. So I have Dropbox on there and do all of the image importing, editing, adjustments, and organization on there through Dropbox and upload using my MacBook Pro I have at school anyway for my other classes.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014

I had people crowding around me when I brought my Indigo iBook to school xD. I was stupid once and brought my 512k to school, and some students couldn't appreciate it. It would be cool to have my own school set-up; I wish I had time to join yearbook at my school, as the last time I saw the room, it had 20"-ish Apple LCD Studio Displays sitting around, and what were either Mac Pros or G5s (probably G5s). (and also some white Mac Minis). The funny thing is bringing a desktop to school though. In elementary school, my brother did his presentation in Keynote or something, and the computers at school had PowerPoint (If this isn't the reason then I forget what it was), so he had to bring his huge 24" (2006) iMac to class and present from there. I have brought many old laptops to school, and you always get onlookers.

----------

Nice; it's a good thing you can use your own computer, rather than some cr@ppy Windows XP Dell Dimension. In fact, I'd rather use a G5 at a job than even a brand new Windows PC. Good thing you will be getting more desk space though. That thing takes up your current space, and I can only imagine how loud the G5 would seem right next to your ears. Mine is sitting under my desk here, yet even its idle noise bounces off the walls and back to my ears. (if I open the door, the surround-sound-like humming disappears).

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Nice; it's a good thing you can use your own computer, rather than some cr@ppy Windows XP Dell Dimension. In fact, I'd rather use a G5 at a job than even a brand new Windows PC. Good thing you will be getting more desk space though. That thing takes up your current space, and I can only imagine how loud the G5 would seem right next to your ears. Mine is sitting under my desk here, yet even its idle noise bounces off the walls and back to my ears. (if I open the door, the surround-sound-like humming disappears).

There's actually a halfway decent Dell with an i3 running Windows on the desk next to mine(it's a common, shared computer). Interestingly enough, we ended up with a bunch of computers a couple of years back because someone in the lab was ordering new computers for old instruments. He bought two, but when they arrived he found out he couldn't use them as the interface cards are PCI and the new computers only had PCI-e slots. So, the end result was that he had to order two more more-or-less identical computers with PCI slots, and the PCI-e only ones replaced a couple of ancient P4 desktops that had been in use as the common computers.

As for the noise-at home, my G5 tower is on the floor and a decent distance away from the monitor. I never really noticed the noise from it. It's definitely noticeable with the computer right by my ear.

Unfortunately, the floor is not an option. I have a sink and nanopure water dispenser to my back, both of which have been known to flood. Plus, we are on the second floor, and an overflowed sink, popped off condensor hose or burst pipe upstairs(it has happened before, and I'm sure will happen again) will flood us.

Our new lab is on the top floor of the building, and the office space(separate from the lab) will have no plumbing at all in it. Hopefully, I can put it on the floor there.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Pretty good setup there! Lots of hard drives!

Actually only two, but with lots of partitions.

Drive 1 has separate partitions for Leopard and Tiger, as well as a small(I think about 5gb) partition dedicated as a scratch disk for Photoshop.

Drive 2 has a dedicated Time Machine partition, a partition where I keep second copies of important files(easier to access than the Time Machine backup), and finally another small partition for a second Photoshop scratch disk.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
We moved to our new office/lab today(actually still in the process of moving) so I took the opportunity to add a second monitor to the G5 on my(now clean) desk.

Attachments

• IMG_1144.JPG
    IMG_1144.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 188

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
We moved to our new office/lab today(actually still in the process of moving) so I took the opportunity to add a second monitor to the G5 on my(now clean) desk.

I like it! Maybe I'll post a picture of my G5 set-up later. Sadly, I may take it down soon... I love using my G5, but it's not efficient compared to my MBP. I could use way less electricity yet have a faster computer, if I just hook my MBP up to a monitor. (also considering maybe using the Hackintosh we are making out of some Dell). It's too bad though, as using this thing is a blast. And I only got it in around September or something.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I love using my G5, but it's not efficient compared to my MBP.

Thank goodness I'm not paying the power bill :)

My MBP is actually in the corner at the very edge of the screen. It is indeed faster and more efficient the G5, but there's just something about using the G5 that makes me happy :)

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Thank goodness I'm not paying the power bill :)

My MBP is actually in the corner at the very edge of the screen. It is indeed faster and more efficient the G5, but there's just something about using the G5 that makes me happy :)

I know, right? I enjoy using my PowerMac G5 quite a bit... it's impossible to put it into words, but for some reason it's just more pleasant to use than a newer computer. I also prefer desktops over laptops, but I DO still love using an iBook or PowerBook. I am sure my MacBook Pro will be more pleasurable to use later on. Back when my iMac G5 was only about 5 years old, I felt it was too modern. By now, it feels more vintage and it's fun to use. So, I do believe that there is also an effect of nostalgia and the fact that you are using an older computer (although experiences DO change depending on the computer). I can already feel this with my MBP, considering the Retina models make it feel old. I know they still produce it though, but the design is still about 6 years old.

The whole PowerPC feel hadn't dawned on me until I started experimenting with new additions to my collection. Between 2004 and 2012, I had a total of two computers (original iMac G5 and iMac G5 iSight), and was just happy to get the MBP handed down to me. However, I kinda reintroduced myself to PPC Macs because of my collecting, and also joined the PowerPC community. I sort of went Intel and now have gone back xD Although I still use Intel if I REALLY need to.

P.S. Put some LED lights in that sucker and spice up your workspace some more ;) I currently run my G5 with color-changing LED lights and have removed the door for show purposes.

Last edited:

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Surprisingly it is doing a good job on yearbook duty. Unfortunately, the site uses all Adobe Flash and so I can't sign onto it with my G5. So I have Dropbox on there and do all of the image importing, editing, adjustments, and organization on there through Dropbox and upload using my MacBook Pro I have at school anyway for my other classes.

Responding to an old comment, but hey. Its in my nature. Will your site work with "Flash 11.7" (i.e. the PowerPC flashhack?)

1.5 year old post... but maybe... just maybe... you have some life left?

Linkety

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Responding to an old comment, but hey. Its in my nature. Will your site work with "Flash 11.7" (i.e. the PowerPC flashhack?)

1.5 year old post... but maybe... just maybe... you have some life left?

Linkety

Nope! They actually use the changes in the newer versions of Flash. In fact, I just migrated the team to Chrome since Flash is included due to issues with updating it often.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Nope! They actually use the changes in the newer versions of Flash. In fact, I just migrated the team to Chrome since Flash is included due to issues with updating it often.

Definitely makes sense. At work when updating Flash, I had to use the LTS support branch... otherwise I had a hundred users super frustrated that they had the update to Flash 14... then 15... then 16 in the span of a short period of time!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Definitely makes sense. At work when updating Flash, I had to use the LTS support branch... otherwise I had a hundred users super frustrated that they had the update to Flash 14... then 15... then 16 in the span of a short period of time!

Though I am not a fan of Chrome in certain instances (but I do own a Chromebook too), it really is a fantastic browser for situations like that.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I had people crowding around me when I brought my Indigo iBook to school xD. I was stupid once and brought my 512k to school, and some students couldn't appreciate it. It would be cool to have my own school set-up; I wish I had time to join yearbook at my school, as the last time I saw the room, it had 20"-ish Apple LCD Studio Displays sitting around, and what were either Mac Pros or G5s (probably G5s). (and also some white Mac Minis). The funny thing is bringing a desktop to school though. In elementary school, my brother did his presentation in Keynote or something, and the computers at school had PowerPoint (If this isn't the reason then I forget what it was), so he had to bring his huge 24" (2006) iMac to class and present from there. I have brought many old laptops to school, and you always get onlookers.

----------

One day, I'm going to bring in my Windows 95 Dell laptop, and hopefully I can buy either a G3 or G4 iBook so that I can have people give me funny looks while im using it in class ;)... I would have no way to bring a desktop to my school, and it would be impossible to find an outlet every 40 minutes, so... However, bringing in the laptops would be extremely fun. :cool:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
One day, I'm going to bring in my Windows 95 Dell laptop, and hopefully I can buy either a G3 or G4 iBook so that I can have people give me funny looks while im using it in class ;)... I would have no way to bring a desktop to my school, and it would be impossible to find an outlet every 40 minutes, so... However, bringing in the laptops would be extremely fun. :cool:

For one of my TA assignments this past semester, I spent roughly half the 2 hour class sitting in the back of the room on my laptop.

I got into the habit of rotating through laptops that I took in...I used everything from my 2011 MBP to my G3 Pismo. The only thing that didn't get into the rotation was my iBook G3, but primarily because I can't connect to the school network with the Airport card(I have a PCMIA card that I switch between my Pismo and TiBook that can connect). I did take the iBook in a few times, although primarily to install software or do maintenance work on it, rather than actually use it.

In any case, I was proctoring an exam earlier this week, and was putting together a presentation on the 12" Powerbook I just bought from a forum member here. The senior instructor commented on my "old Macbook" and I had a lot of fun correcting him as to the fact that it was a nearly 10 year old Powerbook.

All that aside, generally when I'm proctoring and have a laptop with me, I use my MBP(running Mavericks) or my '09 Macbook running Yosemite. The reason for this is that if the senior instructor is not in the room with me(exams for classes with 200 students are often split across multiple rooms) I can use iMessage to communicate with them provided that they also have an iPhone. Doing so is a lot less distracting than pulling out my phone and having it buzz. Plus, if I'm reporting something potentially suspicious, it's not immediately obvious that I am communicating with the instructor.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
For one of my TA assignments this past semester, I spent roughly half the 2 hour class sitting in the back of the room on my laptop.

I got into the habit of rotating through laptops that I took in...I used everything from my 2011 MBP to my G3 Pismo. The only thing that didn't get into the rotation was my iBook G3, but primarily because I can't connect to the school network with the Airport card(I have a PCMIA card that I switch between my Pismo and TiBook that can connect). I did take the iBook in a few times, although primarily to install software or do maintenance work on it, rather than actually use it.

In any case, I was proctoring an exam earlier this week, and was putting together a presentation on the 12" Powerbook I just bought from a forum member here. The senior instructor commented on my "old Macbook" and I had a lot of fun correcting him as to the fact that it was a nearly 10 year old Powerbook.

All that aside, generally when I'm proctoring and have a laptop with me, I use my MBP(running Mavericks) or my '09 Macbook running Yosemite. The reason for this is that if the senior instructor is not in the room with me(exams for classes with 200 students are often split across multiple rooms) I can use iMessage to communicate with them provided that they also have an iPhone. Doing so is a lot less distracting than pulling out my phone and having it buzz. Plus, if I'm reporting something potentially suspicious, it's not immediately obvious that I am communicating with the instructor.

I've gotten into a cycle of using my MacBook on Thursdays because of computer club, and every other day I use my ipad. I wish I had access to the market place so that I could see if anyone has any good deals on iBooks/powerbooks. I'm not looking for something too crazy (I would take a wallstreet or newer, but not a PB 100 or something that old), but something old but useable

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I've gotten into a cycle of using my MacBook on Thursdays because of computer club, and every other day I use my ipad. I wish I had access to the market place so that I could see if anyone has any good deals on iBooks/powerbooks. I'm not looking for something too crazy (I would take a wallstreet or newer, but not a PB 100 or something that old), but something old but useable

iBooks G4s and PowerBook G4s are as old as I would go for depending on for class. Though, I have used a iBook G3 for French class before.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
iBooks G4s and PowerBook G4s are as old as I would go for depending on for class. Though, I have used a iBook G3 for French class before.

A late Powerbook G3(namely a Pismo) with the RAM maxed out is at least useable, and I've done so before. The only thing I need that I can't run on mine is Endnote X4, which requires a G4(or later) processor and 10.5. It will even run Office 2008(albeit slowly), despite not meeting the "official" requirements of a G4 processor. I need to get over and try and get a copy of X2, which will run on my Pismo.

As I mentioned, the benefit of a Powerbook(for me) is the PCMIA slot so that I use an 802.11g card and connect to the school 802.11x network. An 802.11b Airport card can't even see my school's network.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
A late Powerbook G3(namely a Pismo) with the RAM maxed out is at least useable, and I've done so before. The only thing I need that I can't run on mine is Endnote X4, which requires a G4(or later) processor and 10.5. It will even run Office 2008(albeit slowly), despite not meeting the "official" requirements of a G4 processor. I need to get over and try and get a copy of X2, which will run on my Pismo.

As I mentioned, the benefit of a Powerbook(for me) is the PCMIA slot so that I use an 802.11g card and connect to the school 802.11x network. An 802.11b Airport card can't even see my school's network.

A Pismo is a great machine especially when upgraded for use today!

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
A Pismo is a great machine especially when upgraded for use today!

I just wish that I could find a battery that didn't cost more than I paid for the computer! The one I have now is good for about 15-20 minutes.

It would be nice too if PRAM batteries weren't $35. That's nearly as much as I paid for the computer.

BTW, I put 1gb of RAM in mine upgraded the stock 12gb, 4400rpm HDD to a 60gb 5400RPM drive. As I mentioned, I also used put an Airport Extreme compatible PCMIA card in the slot(not sure of the model number, but it's made by Belkin) so I can get 802.11g speeds under Tiger although at the cost of any WiFi in OS 9.

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I just wish that I could find a battery that didn't cost more than I paid for the computer! The one I have now is good for about 15-20 minutes.

It would be nice too if PRAM batteries weren't $35. That's nearly as much as I paid for the computer.

BTW, I put 1gb of RAM in mine upgraded the stock 12gb, 4400rpm HDD to a 60gb 5400RPM drive. As I mentioned, I also used put an Airport Extreme compatible PCMIA card in the slot(not sure of the model number, but it's made by Belkin) so I can get 802.11g speeds under Tiger although at the cost of any WiFi in OS 9.

Parts for Pismos are astronomically high in comparison to later PowerBook G4 cousins.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
With my upcoming graduation, I will again be moving to(hopefully) a true office of my own which will also entail more space.

I'm actually pretty seriously considering regressing even more in my computer use.

The G5 will stick around as long as its useable, but there are actually some known issues with the interaction between Office 2008 and Chemdraw(two programs that I'm going to be relying on heavily).

I'm actually considering bringing in one of my beige G3s and installing Chemdraw and WordPerfect 3.5e on it. I'll also bring in my Personal Laserwriter300, which "plays nice" with the G3.

I'm leaning toward WordPerfect because the instructor from whom I will be "inheriting" one class is a die-hard Word Perfect user who will be turning over a lot of course materials to me in this format. Having an "off the grid" computer making files in a somewhat obscure format is also somewhat advantageous for preventing cheating. Unlike Office 2008, WP and Chemdraw also play well together(at least under OS 9).

Perhaps I'm overthinking it, but I'm leaning pretty heavily in this direction at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.