Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I know this tends to be a controversial topic, but I'm compelled to spout about how wonderful my 2011 MBP (see sig) is as a dual platform gaming machine. Granted most of the gaming I do is on Windows7 but I'm carrying one computer that does it all- MacOS, Windows, and it does a damn good job with gaming as a medium grade gaming box. I play(ed) Wow, World of Tanks, Final Fantasy, Everquest Next-Landmark, and tons of Steam games without issues. I love this computer and it's still going strong.

I anticipate I'll be looking for another Mac laptop in the future to take its place. I assume this would have to be the top of the line MBP for the dedicated graphics? $2600...

Tip: if you delve into windows be sure to cough up $40 for Tuneup Utilities. You won't regret it.:)

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
My Mac Pro 2008 is still a decent gaming machine too.

Played: Orange Box, Far Cry 3, Crysis 1, Warhead, and 2, Portal 2, Starcraft II, Civ IV, Skyrim (+ mods), Bioshock 1, 2 and Infinitie.

Only because it can run Windows and use a PC GPU.

bushidounohana

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
St. Louis, MO (USA)
Thank you for posting this, Huntn! I often want to gush a little bit about my late 2013 13" RMBP as well ... Though certainly not a gaming rig proper (I've got a PC for that), it offers plenty of power for wonderful distractions while I'm on the go and should actually be working. Also makes for fun family gatherings when I hook it up to the big screen and pair with PS3 controllers or Wiimotes!

I play the following at surprising settings in Windows 8.1, between 720p and 1080p--

Tomb Raider (2013 & Underworld)
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (1 & 2)
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: Arkham City
NBA2K12

I also LOVE firing up Dolphin (Game Cube/Wii emulator) and playing Mario Kart Wii, Zelda Twilight Princess, and NBA JAM at 720p.

On the OS X side, OpenEmu has got me covered from NES to N64. I also still use the old MAME OS X to play NBA Maximum Hangtime and Super Street Fighter II ... perhaps I date myself with my game tastes? :D

Will check out TuneUp Utilities as well--thanks for the tip!

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
I'd never call my system a powerhouse in the graphics department but ya know, it does well for what it is.

Macs aren't gaming machines by any means but you can certainly play games pretty well on many models.

Just finished up Half Life 2 at 1440p. Been playing Grid 2 on the High preset at 720p with 4x MSAA with no issues. It's fine.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I anticipate I'll be looking for another Mac laptop in the future to take its place. I assume this would have to be the top of the line MBP for the dedicated graphics?

I think we all already know that the key ingredient here is that the graphics card be very good. Sadly, that usually is available only on the most expensive Mac/MBP models. =/

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
My Mac Pro 2008 is still a decent gaming machine too.

Played: Orange Box, Far Cry 3, Crysis 1, Warhead, and 2, Portal 2, Starcraft II, Civ IV, Skyrim (+ mods), Bioshock 1, 2 and Infinitie.

Only because it can run Windows and use a PC GPU.

Same here with my GTX 650Ti Boost, but I usually play games in OS X. Though it wasn't bad with the stock ATI 2600XT. These days, any decent PC with a dedicated GPU or good integrated graphics will do, including most Macs.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
These days, any decent PC with a dedicated GPU or good integrated graphics will do, including most Macs.

It all depends on what you're playing and your expectations. If you're playing older games, integrated or low-end discreet GPUs are fine. If Battlefield 4 is your style, then you'll want the most horsepower you can get, and no Mac, save for GPU-upgraded iMacs and Mac Pros, can provide it.

My 2011 MBP has served me well, but it's starting to get a bit long in the tooth. I'm hoping a decent tax refund and sale of this system will net me enough cash to get a refurb rMBP with the 750M.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.