Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jake0604

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
I picked this dual 2.0ghz G5 up off craigslist for $30. It works fine but the case is quite beat up. Any easy way to get dents out of the case?

b885748edc.png

a44579ce65.png

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The top handle can be done by hand easy enough. Others with the handle of a screwdriver (plastic) by hand and carefully

ctmpkmlec4

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Lyons, KS
I found an empty case and utilized the outer skin to make a dent-free case. Those G5 cases can be completely disassembled, but it's cumbersome work. You have to strip out ALL the internal components just to get the case itself apart. This includes the computer hardware, hard drive bays, power supply and upper self. Easiest way to do it is transfer your parts from the dented case to a good one. I wanted the serial numbers to match between the logic board and the case which is why I went through the trouble of removing components and replacing the dented part of the case.

This link gives you an idea of how much of a PITA it is to remove the upper shelf assembly: http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g5/77205-how-remove-g5-upper-shelf.html

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
The top handle can be done by hand easy enough. Others with the handle of a screwdriver (plastic) by hand and carefully
you must be a lot stronger than I am. I had a G5 with bunt up handles, and that aluminum is a really hard material. I sure couldn't bend it, especially not by hand.

ctmpkmlec4

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Lyons, KS
you must be a lot stronger than I am. I had a G5 with bunt up handles, and that aluminum is a really hard material. I sure couldn't bend it, especially not by hand.
It's tough stuff. You need an auto body hammer and maybe a torch. I'm exaggerating just a little bit...

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

Joys of manual labour lol

proxyLain

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2014
For $30, i would say that you'll have to live with it. The handle should be too hard to fix, but guess that's pretty much it.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland

Indeed, I've had two of these that arrived broken. I used everything in my workshop on them, and after a week of hard work nothing happened. These delivery companies must treat them like absolute crap! :/

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Maybe a rubber mallet? Or disassemble the case and use a piece of wood and a vice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.