Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand
I would not attempt this on one of the lower end Chromebooks.

It depends on what you want to run in the Linux environment. Since crouton is ChRomium Os Universal chrooT envirONment it's using a chroot rather than a virtual machine, so the overhead is a lot lower as Chrome OS and the Linux chroot shares the same kernel.

I've done the same thing on an HP Touchpad which runs webOS (also linux based) on an ARMv7 based tablet. There was an existing X server app and I installed a debian chroot using debootstrap.

I never tried any multimedia applications which might need a bit more CPU power to run at an acceptable speed. Of course, if you want to use something like Skype then you need a Chromebook with an Intel CPU - not ARM CPU based.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
It depends on what you want to run in the Linux environment. Since crouton is ChRomium Os Universal chrooT envirONment it's using a chroot rather than a virtual machine, so the overhead is a lot lower as Chrome OS and the Linux chroot shares the same kernel.

I've done the same thing on an HP Touchpad which runs webOS (also linux based) on an ARMv7 based tablet. There was an existing X server app and I installed a debian chroot using debootstrap.

I never tried any multimedia applications which might need a bit more CPU power to run at an acceptable speed. Of course, if you want to use something like Skype then you need a Chromebook with an Intel CPU - not ARM CPU based.

I would not recommend that people buy ARM and low end Intel Chromebooks with the intention to run Crouton to fill in the void that Chrome OS may leave for them. The more powerful models will work fine with Crouton running as a full OS for their needs inside of the browser window.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
I installed ubuntu on my daughter's intel chromebook. Its handles games much better than i thought it would. Minecraft is fine (not perfect, but playable). Team Fortress 2 is playable. She uses Alice 3 for a school coding club and hasnt complained about it.
I was surprised since it was only a 200 dollar machine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.