Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
http://www.Looprumors.com has posted some new details about what iPhone will be. Looks pretty interesting but I'm not sure how in demand such a device is...actually, I'm not sure WHAT the device really is to be honest. Oh, well. What does everyone think?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: new iPhone rumors...what do you think?

Originally posted by jholzner
http://www.Looprumors.com has posted some new details about what iPhone will be. Looks pretty interesting but I'm not sure how in demand such a device is...actually, I'm not sure WHAT the device really is to be honest. Oh, well. What does everyone think?

What do I think?! I think this thread should be in Software Rumors because I believe/am pretty sure that iPhone is a video conferencing program.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Re: Re: new iPhone rumors...what do you think?

Originally posted by MacBandit

What do I think?! I think this thread should be in Software Rumors because I believe/am pretty sure that iPhone is a video conferencing program.

Well, I think you would be wrong...if you read the article on Looprumors it states "Instead it is said to be a phone for the home/small office. iPhone is said to be a screen-based telephony application that supports CallerID, and works with a Zero Configuration FireWire based telephone/answering system now in the works at Apple.." Wow...Apple must be doing some amazing programing when they can program a firewire based telephone/answering system. It's hardware realated as much as software.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Re: new iPhone rumors...what do you think?

Originally posted by jholzner

Well, I think you would be wrong...if you read the article on Looprumors it states "Instead it is said to be a phone for the home/small office. iPhone is said to be a screen-based telephony application that supports CallerID, and works with a Zero Configuration FireWire based telephone/answering system now in the works at Apple.." Wow...Apple must be doing some amazing programing when they can program a firewire based telephone/answering system. It's hardware realated as much as software.

What is your point. All this is taken from a site with a rumor but know track history. There have been several other sites with history and evidence of actual inside information that say it's a program. Though it does make since that a video conference program would need some hardware.

will

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: new iPhone rumors...what do you think?

Originally posted by MacBandit
Though it does make since that a video conference program would need some hardware.

I think you're right, and I suspect we'll see built in cameras in future macs. It would make a lot of sense from Apple's point of view because it would encourage the purchase of new macs and push into an as yet untapped area. Consumer video chat/conferencing could be the next killer app.

The numer of users with broadband is increasing, and I see video applications taking off with this growth. Even in the UK where broadband was held back for ages we have over 1 millions households with access, and numbers are growing fast.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: new iPhone rumors...what do you think?

Originally posted by will

I think you're right, and I suspect we'll see built in cameras in future macs. It would make a lot of sense from Apple's point of view because it would encourage the purchase of new macs and push into an as yet untapped area.

Although now that a number of people have bought FireWire DV-handicams (myself included), Apple probably think that you could use your existing camera in the Video Phone setup. I currently do this with ISPQ VideoChat, and it works fantastically.

Also, if Apple are adding Bluetooth as standard in their Mac range, and new cameras are coming out with Bluetooth incorporated in them (for instance, some Sony models), they probably find it unnecessary to include a camera with the Mac.

Anyway, FireWire-based web cameras are constantly coming down in price, and should be within most consumers' reach. For Apple to release just a camera would be pointless - but an Apple branded all-in-one camera/pda/phone/mp3 unit would quite possibly be the next step in their idea of a digital hub...

will

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2002
I didn't imagine the built-in camera would be high quality. I see Apple including a web cam quality camera wwhich could be comfortably squeezed into the edge of the screen (like the Vaio or the new cameras on the Nokia phones). The quality wouldn't be fantastic but it would mean all Mac users could use video chat/conferencing, creating that critical mass needed to make it a success.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I haven't quite yet figured out what sort of form factor they would use for a webcam. Apple wouldn't think of tarnishing there beautiful screens with an addition like a webcam so it has to be in some other form factor.

Bluetooth is way too slow for streaming video even with MP4. I think the idea of it being a way of utilizing existing firewire dv cameras is the most likely at this point. This would keep the Apple development exclussively on the software side. Though it could also mean Apple is getting ready to release there DV/still camera. I remember reading rumors about a Video/Still camera Apple was developing 3 or 4 years ago that was going to blow the competition away. Say DV camera with a built in 4+ MP still camera. It would probably utilize MP4 for video.

sirheikki

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Re: Apple iPhone, a cellphone?

I'm hoping that iPhone will be a fullblooded cellphone/pda/iPod combo.
I'm starting to get frustrated buying a new nokia every 10-14 months just because
they are crappy. Besides it would be so much nicer to have all in one box,
if the pricetag won't be astronomical.
Happy holidays!

atomicon

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2003
Los Angeles
I'm thinking VIDEO PHONE

It just struck me a little while ago:
iChat has camera and phone icons embedded in it; MPEG-4 has just been incorporated in some Japanese cellphones and is specifically tailored (from what I understand) for video streaming; posts on this message board seem to indicate that Apple has been working on some kind of camera for several years; iPhone was trademarked by Apple recently in Australia and the UK; etc., etc.

I don't know if the iPod would somehow be upgraded to include it, or if it would be an independent device, but imagine an Apple-branded video phone. THAT would be a desirable little device...

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Where can I read this article? All I see on the page is an article about how the guy's stockbroker told him to put all his money in Apple stock....

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Here's the article:
We’ve probed our sources regarding recent information that Apple has trademarked the name iPhone in the UK and Australia. Here’s what we came up with. iPhone will be similar to the other iApps Apple has been introducing. All of the iApps developed have the capability to support hardware that connects to the digital hub. iTunes works with MP3 players such as the iPod, iMovie and iDVD work with video cameras, iPhoto works with digital cameras, iSync works with handhelds, and so on. So what about iPhone?
From the information we’ve gathered, there is no evidence that a “cellular” phone is in development at Apple. Instead it is said to be a phone for the home/small office. iPhone is said to be a screen-based telephony application that supports CallerID, and works with a Zero Configuration FireWire based telephone/answering system now in the works at Apple. Contact information and ring tones can be shared between the telephone and the digital hub it’s connected to. Additional details were not available regarding specific features or exactly what other information can be transferred between the two devices.

It's now in their December Archive. On another note, today's update to looprumors says that Apple may be partnering with Cingular...so take a look if your interested. I dunno...I kinda forgot all about the iPhone stuff, but who
knows. The interesting things is that first looprumors says it's not a cell device and now they say Apple may be partnering with Cingular. True he doesn't mention iPhone but it seems it may be a product that does include cellular technology. Or maybe it's ALL a bunch of BS...4 until we find out.

[edit]Okay, I'm blind...in today's article he directly mentions iPhone in the title.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.