Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
You don't either, you are just guessing.

Oh come on... please answer the questions:

- given that the battery / body / etc. has no problems with the A8, why was it left out from the new rMini?

- given that 2GB of RAM wouldn't have taken up much volume (if at all!) and wouldn't cause significant additional battery usage, why was it left out from the new rMini?

Any technical reason for all these? Or, just a business one - to slowly phase out the Mini, by making it significantly worse than both the 6+ and the Air2 (as has also happened to the iPod touch)?

kdarling

macrumors P6
Mobile analytics firm Flurry today reports Apple accounted for just over half of new mobile device activations for the holiday season, ...

To be clear, Flurry based this report off the download of apps that use their analytics, not from actual knowledge of new device activations.

E.g. if someone got a tablet but didn't immediately download any Flurry capable apps, they wouldn't show up.

That said, I gave a couple of iPads as presents myself :)

(Plus a Moto X)

Look like worldwide sales of the "small size" smartphone in 2014 is only 2%! Anything less the 4.7" is under the small classification.

I don't think so. Otherwise the small category would've been over 15% in past years, due to iPhones.

That's why I think their "small" category means under 4". It's the only number that fits all the charts.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Apple Dominates Christmas Week With Over Half of New Mobile Device Activations

- given that the battery / body / etc. has no problems with the A8, why was it left out from the new rMini?

- given that 2GB of RAM wouldn't have taken up much volume (if at all!) and wouldn't cause significant additional battery usage, why was it left out from the new rMini?

Any technical reason for all these? Or, just a business one - to slowly phase out the Mini, by making it significantly worse than both the 6+ and the Air2 (as has also happened to the iPod touch)?

I can't answer that, as I do not work for Apple. You can't say that you're right either, as you don't work for Apple either.

How can you know they could have had 2Gb of RAM? How do you know it wouldn't cause significant battery usage? How do you know it would be fine with the A8? Simply, You don't.

Also, they're not phasing out the iPad Mini, that's definitely just showing how absurd you are.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I can't answer that, as I do not work for Apple. You can't say that you're right either, as you don't work for Apple either.

Yes, both of us can easily answer both questions, given that the much smaller and much lower-capacity-battery-equipped iPhone 6/6+ have absolutely no problems with having the A8 CPU. And 1GB of additional RAM wouldn't have caused excess power usage either.

Also, they're not phasing out the iPad Mini, that's definitely just showing how absurd you are.

Have you learnt anything from the history of the iPod touch?

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Yes, both of us can easily answer both questions, given that the much smaller and much lower-capacity-battery-equipped iPhone 6/6+ have absolutely no problems with having the A8 CPU. And 1GB of additional RAM wouldn't have caused excess power usage either.

We could answer it, but it would be pointless, as we do not work for Apple and we would both be guessing. We don't know for certain as we do not know the ins and outs. That's my point, which you seem to be missing. You're armchair managing a product you have no idea of the inner workings of, unless you're actually a member of staff at Apple that works on iPads?

Have you learnt anything from the history of the iPod touch?

There's still a market for iPad Minis. Quite a lot of people don't want something as big as an iPad Air or as costly. Your idea that the iPad Mini is being phased out is purely in your own head. Think your tin foil hat is a bit too tight....

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I personally know tons of people that went for the Mini 2 because of the complete lack of improvements in the new model. With the Mini 3 having at least most of the goodies (A8 & 2GB RAM, most importantly), a lot of them would have chosen the 3.

Nevertheless, I'm happy about Apple's decision. Last year, it was a hard decision for me to pick from between the Air and the Mini 2 (already having a still usable iPad4, I've gone for the Mini 2). This year, it was easy (the Air2), thanks for Apple's practically just re-releasing the Mini2 as the Mini3.

your "tons of people" are an insignificant amount of people, considering the market. I know another tons that don't even know what an A8 is....
I'm not happy with the mini 3, and I'd choose the Air 2 without any doubt, but that doesn't count.

----------

It's a way Apple choose to differentiate two products. Simple like that.
The mini 3 is still a very good product, fast. It's not a good upgrade for a mini 2's owner, for sure, but a great upgrade for someone coming from a mini or an iPad 2.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
your "tons of people" are an insignificant amount of people, considering the market. I know another tons that don't even know what an A8 is....
I'm not happy with the mini 3, and I'd choose the Air 2 without any doubt, but that doesn't count.

Even if the Average Joe doesn't know anything about specs, they do read reviews. And I haven't read a single review that would have recommended the Mini3 over the Mini2, except for folks that do need the fingerprint reader.

I still think
- Apple could have put the latest tech (A8, 2GB RAM, ac WiFi etc.) in the Mini3 as
1, the A8 doesn't have inhibitive power consumption / heating characteristic (otherwise, the iPhone6/6+ couldn't have it either)
2, WRT the ac WiFi - see above
3, the +1GB RAM wouldn't have had a serious effect on battery life either. Hell, my 3GB Note4, which is far-far smaller than the rMini, has absolutely excellent battery life...

- their decision not to equip it with the latest-gen HW is their wanting to phase it out to make people choose either the 6+ or the Air2, which both have larger margins. Exactly the same happened to the iPod touch line: the 2nd and 3rd-gen iPt were a powerhouse and both devices were significantly faster than the then-current iPhone (3G and 3GS, respectively). And then came the 4G, with its significant restrictions (no IPS screen, no 512MB RAM), and, in later generations, the dumbing-down continued even more prominently (still A5-based, less RAM etc.). All this to make people buy the much more expensive iPhones instead.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Even if the Average Joe doesn't know anything about specs, they do read reviews. And I haven't read a single review that would have recommended the Mini3 over the Mini2, except for folks that do need the fingerprint reader.

I still think
- Apple could have put the latest tech (A8, 2GB RAM, ac WiFi etc.) in the Mini3 as
1, the A8 doesn't have inhibitive power consumption / heating characteristic (otherwise, the iPhone6/6+ couldn't have it either)
2, WRT the ac WiFi - see above
3, the +1GB RAM wouldn't have had a serious effect on battery life either. Hell, my 3GB Note4, which is far-far smaller than the rMini, has absolutely excellent battery life...

- their decision not to equip it with the latest-gen HW is their wanting to phase it out to make people choose either the 6+ or the Air2, which both have larger margins. Exactly the same happened to the iPod touch line: the 2nd and 3rd-gen iPt were a powerhouse and both devices were significantly faster than the then-current iPhone (3G and 3GS, respectively). And then came the 4G, with its significant restrictions (no IPS screen, no 512MB RAM), and, in later generations, the dumbing-down continued even more prominently (still A5-based, less RAM etc.). All this to make people buy the much more expensive iPhones instead.
Wrong. The real average Joe doesn't even read reviews. In the best case he try it in a shop.
The phase out theory is just plain RIDICULOUS

It's a decision I don't like, but just a differentiation choice.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
So there is a guy that trully believes that being developer on Google play is as profitable as on iOS.
http://rustyshelf.org/2014/12/17/2015-the-year-of-android/

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I am just saying that the guy in the article says that he can have profit even with google play. Thats all. :apple:

That's surely true, because of the huge market share, but if you are looking for real money, iOS is the way to go.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
After seeing my iPhone 6, my sister, brother-in-law and 2 nephews all went out an got a new 6. They were all scared of the size, but they all love it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.