Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m3adi3c

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2015
Romania
Hello and Happy 2015 for everybody!

I've been searching crazily the last few days for some app(s) which should help me improve my workflow. I shall explain in short what I want to achieve.

I need to write some (mostly scientific) articles and publish them online (on a sort of blog), but also keep and manage them locally, on my hard drive. I am very familiar with LaTeX and I mainly use Texpad as my editor. But since I also intend to publish my articles online in a blog-like environment, I found about Markdown and MathJax and now I'm learning to use them.

So I'm asking if you can help me by suggesting some app(s) and a workflow to accomplish the following:
1. Write the articles, of course, with rich text and some kind math equations;
2. Manage the articles using folders and tags (corresponding to, say, keywords);
3. Integrate (sync) with Dropbox, since I have a Premium plan and I intend to store most of my articles there;

Ideally, the OS X app(s) that you will suggest should have some kind of iOS companion, since I also use my iPad a lot and would like to be able to read, edit and organise the articles on it too.

I've tried so far Together 3, but the Dropbox support for iOS was non-existent and the workflow was complicated, since I had to write my articles in some external app, then import them in Together, then tag or group them or whatever.

I'm now using Write, since it organises the articles well with tags and has Dropbox support. It also supports MathJax and the iOS companion is OK. However, it doesn't highlight and colour the syntax and keywords, which would be useful for me until I learn more about the language.

I also used Archimedes, which is a great Markdown and LaTeX editor, but is useless for managing its docs.

I may be picky, but I really couldn't find something which totally suits my needs.

Thank you for your attention.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
When we wrote IEEE white papers and patent applicationsat LM Ericsson we just used Word using corporate or IEEEE templates. We could do all the fun footnotes, bibliographies, references...etc that were needed. Fancy graphics and complicated formula where usually created in other apps and imported.

Precisely what do you need in the text editor that Word does not do?

m3adi3c

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2015
Romania
Precisely what do you need in the text editor that Word does not do?

Well, I have to admit that I'm not a Word "pro-user", so the following may be wrong.

Firstly, writing math text (equations, diagrams) I find much more difficult with Word than any LaTeX.

Secondly and maybe most importantly, is that Word lacks the organising features that I require, I mean it only creates documents, doesn't help at all at managing them.

And thirdly, if I write a good article, with lots of text formatting, images, math text, I can only upload/post them online as "attachments", they are not "html-ready".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.