Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I'm thinking of picking up a Mac Mini. I've heard that the new ones perform a little slower than last years model. I'm not too concerned about a slightly slower machine, but not to worried about an older version either.

I've got a large Amazon Gift Card balance, so I'm leaning towards a new model from Amazon. But, any pros or cons to this? Amazon has tons of options available, anyone that knows a little more about the models want to help me out?:D

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I'm thinking of picking up a Mac Mini. I've heard that the new ones perform a little slower than last years model. I'm not too concerned about a slightly slower machine, but not to worried about an older version either.

I've got a large Amazon Gift Card balance, so I'm leaning towards a new model from Amazon. But, any pros or cons to this? Amazon has tons of options available, anyone that knows a little more about the models want to help me out?:D

A lot depends upon how you plan to use the machine. Each Mac that we own has a different purpose and therefore different specs are required. to easily accomplish that.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
A lot depends upon how you plan to use the machine. Each Mac that we own has a different purpose and therefore different specs are required. to easily accomplish that.

Primarily iTunes and iPhoto. I use my iPad for most everything, but I need this to backup to, and to store photos and movies. I've got some bluray movies I haven't converted yet so I'll do a little of that. But not much and don't really care how slowly it converts them. I've got external bd drive and hdds already.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Primarily iTunes and iPhoto. I use my iPad for most everything, but I need this to backup to, and to store photos and movies. I've got some bluray movies I haven't converted yet so I'll do a little of that. But not much and don't really care how slowly it converts them. I've got external bd drive and hdds already.

If that is the limitation of your use, I'd go with the least expensive.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Thanks. Just ordered a new one, figured I'd keep it simple and get a new one:cool:.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.