Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lycragon

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2014
Finally, a suggestion that works.

I'm from Malaysia too and recent got my first Macbook, after going through all those "use 3-pronged plug, make sure your house is really grounded" stuffs, yours is the only one that actually works! Thanks a bunch!

If you're still reading this forum, would love to hear if the fuse switching solution works.

Once again, thanks!

i posted this in the Apple support forums, so i thought if anyone stumbled across looking for a solution, they may find it here as well

i just purchased my MacBook Air 13" 256 GB SSD 2011 today in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and i too noticed this so called "vibration/electrostatic sensation" problem when the mains is plugged into the wall socket.

initially, i thought it was a normal feature of Mac's, as this would be my first MacBook i'm owning. however, i thought about my friends MacBooks and they don't have this problem, and all the display demos in the Apple outlets. the feeling is described as vibrations or ever slight eletrostatic discharges when i place either or both hands on the metallic unibody. and i wasn't comfortable with such a feedback. what was worse was, i thought about leaving it charge for awhile without touching it, and when i handled my MBA, i got a severe shock!

i Googled and found many people have this issue. and it has persisted in different countries around the world since 2007. i found it appaling that such an expensive piece of hardware could have a potentially health hazard and/or poor quality control.

many websites/posters blamed it on the a faulty MB or 45W MagSafe Power Adapter, or poor grounding of the outlet/building power supply, which i thought was ridiculous as i've not had any electrical problems with all my other electrical appliances.

i followed different advice, including getting a voltage regulator, moving to different power sockets, or even charging from different building/sites, however, the problem still was there. i even used the grounded 3-pronged head provided instead of the default 2-prong head (in Malaysia, we use the same 3-hole socket types like in the UK/Ireland), but felt that there was a current leakage into my MBA unibody.

SOLVED: until, i found a post by someone who suggested using the AC extension power cord also provided in addition to the MagSage Power Adapter. and it worked! no more vibration or "electrostatic discharge" on the unibody.

and then i wondered, why in the world should there be a difference. i thought perhaps, the MagSage Power Adapter was faulted. and then i looked closer at the Wattage and Current ratings.... what a shock!

OBSERVATIONS: i found there were slight different fuse ratings used in all 4 components MagSafe Power Adapter, default 2-prong adapter head, 3-prong adapter head and the AC extension power cord.

MagSafe Power Adapter body: Output 14.5V 3.1A (Voltage/Current supplied to MBA)
2-prong adapter head: Input 125V~ 2.5A (Voltage used in countries like the USA)
3-prong adapter head: Input 100-240V 2.5A (for countries that use 220V like the UK, and for additional grounding for all countries)
AC extension power cord: Input 100-250V 3A (notice the higher fuse rating)

i may be wrong, but the 0.5-06A difference of current from the input to output, may be allowed to leaked into the MBA, and cause vibrations/electrostatic discharges when touched, and i think may damage the components down the road.

the only to see if my theory is correct is to go to the hardware store and obtain a 3.0A fuse and replace that in the 3-prong adapter head and see if it resolves the problem. i will let you guys know.

but in the meantime for people who have that problem, i recommend using the AC extension power cord as well.

good luck!

SackJabbit

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
Happy New Year! Glad to hear that my tip still is useful today, lol!

Yeah, I went to get a matching fuse, but had problems swapping the fuses as I couldn't pry open the cover. :p So after awhile, I forgot about it as I still needed the extension length, lol!

I'm from Malaysia too and recent got my first Macbook, after going through all those "use 3-pronged plug, make sure your house is really grounded" stuffs, yours is the only one that actually works! Thanks a bunch!

If you're still reading this forum, would love to hear if the fuse switching solution works.

Once again, thanks!

Reactions: ammarmalhas

ammarmalhas

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
Well, it is now mid-2016 and I was suffering from this static issue until 15 minutes ago. People will always get to this problem, regardless of time :)
If I am barefoot I feel the static, if I wear my Crocks (or anything insulating) I feel nothing; which means an electric earthing problem.
Do not be fooled by the output voltage of an inverter (charger), all electric appliances need earthing. Small chargers usually do not because we will not feel the small static, but it will be there.
I replaced the small "UK-converter-head" I had attached to the MagSafe which is supposed to be 3-prongs but is actually a two-pronged connector, I am not sure if it came in the box or I got it from somewhere else and it does not allow for the earth connection that exists on the MagSafe, look at the edge of the sliding guide on the MagSafe you will see the earth connector, i replaced that with the original real 3-pronged cable / MagSafe connector which allows earthing of the MagSafe and all is good now.
It is a simple earthing issue.
By the way the US and AUS "converter-heads" also do not provide earthing.
This is an oversight of Apple, all the plastic converter-heads should be real 3-progned (Hot/Neutral/Earth) and pass through the earthing.
Safe computing everyone ;-)

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I thought I was going crazy. I was running my fingers along the metal bo... ok that just sounds wrong.... anyway, I was running my fingers on my MacBook Pro and noticed a vibration like feeling. So I unplugged the laptop and noticed that it had a completely different feel to it when I was running my fingers over the metal.

Thought I was going crazy... so I googled it and ... LOL. OK cool. I'm not crazy - this is because of no ground plug. Ahaha.

2017 MacBook Pro 13' TB.

Doesn't bother me at all but nice to know I'm not going insane.... yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.