Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shoehornhands

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
I upgraded my 2014 MacBook Air to Yosemite about a month ago. About a week or two after upgrading I noticed the mirroring options icon randomly appearing in the menu bar (icon furthest to the left in the first image below).

When I click on it, the only thing that shows up is an option to "Open Displays Preferences" (as shown in the second picture). There aren't any mirroring options available (which is the whole reason this icon is supposed to pop up in the first place).

This icon keeps appearing and disappearing randomly. Sometimes it appears for 5 minutes and then goes away for a day or two and other times it hangs around for the entire day (there's no pattern to the behavior).

Are any other MacBook Air users experiencing this? I don't use an external display with my MacBook Air and have never tried to mirror it to any other devices. I upgraded to 10.10.1 and the problem still persists.

I really appreciate any feedback to help me figure this out. I figure if it's some sort of bug with Yosemite, hopefully some other Air users are experiencing the same thing.

Thanks

shoehornhands

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Is there an Apple TV in the vicinity of your MBA?

Thanks for the response.

There isn't an Apple TV in the house (could an Apple TV from a neighbor possibly cause this). I do have an iPhone 5s and an iPad Air though. I'm not sure if those could cause this but figure I should probably mention it.

If it was another Apple device trying to connect to the computer, shouldn't that device show up when I click on the icon? It says it will "show mirroring options in the menu bar when available."

That's what really has me perplexed. Why does it keep popping up when there's nothing to mirror to in the first place?

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
There isn't an Apple TV in the house (could an Apple TV from a neighbor possibly cause this).
Only if you were signed into their Wi-Fi.

What it might be is one of your televisions, if they have a screen mirroring capability (e.g. Miracast). From what I've read, this is not compatible with iOS, but maybe OS X and your Mac is picking up such a TV?

Wormald

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
London
It is a curious one: the fact that it's popping up but no options show does suggest it's either a bug (highly likely considering Yosemite so far!), or there's something on your network that's confusing the AirPlay scanning process, as suggested by Cmd-Z.

It could also be Bluetooth-related: I think Yosemite includes Bluetooth discovery of AirPlay devices (but you can't use them unless on the same network), therefore a neighbour's Apple TV could be the culprit.

Turning off Bluetooth and seeing if the icon disappears might be a good test of this theory!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You could always just turn that icon off, so it doesn't appear...
System Preferences/Displays, then uncheck the box "Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available"

That doesn't really address why that happens with no apparent physical device attached.

When the icon appears in your menubar - do you see any change in your System Information app - Graphics/Displays tab?

shoehornhands

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Only if you were signed into their Wi-Fi.

What it might be is one of your televisions, if they have a screen mirroring capability (e.g. Miracast). From what I've read, this is not compatible with iOS, but maybe OS X and your Mac is picking up such a TV?

It is a curious one: the fact that it's popping up but no options show does suggest it's either a bug (highly likely considering Yosemite so far!), or there's something on your network that's confusing the AirPlay scanning process, as suggested by Cmd-Z.

Turning off Bluetooth and seeing if the icon disappears might be a good test of this theory!

You could always just turn that icon off, so it doesn't appear...
System Preferences/Displays, then uncheck the box "Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available"

That doesn't really address why that happens with no apparent physical device attached.

When the icon appears in your menubar - do you see any change in your System Information app - Graphics/Displays tab?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the suggestions.

I do have a Samsung TV that has wireless functionality (I have it connected to our network) as well as a Western Digital TV thing we use for netflix. I did try disconnecting the MacBook Air's WiFi when the icon popped up and it didn't appear to do anything (the icon didn't go away or change in any way). I'm not sure if this eliminates the TV as a potential culprit or not though.

I never thought to try shutting off the Bluetooth though. I always have the Bluetooth turned on for a Magic Mouse so it could definitely have something to do with that. The next time the icon pops up (haven't seen it yet today) I'll test this out.

@DeltaMac, thanks for pointing that out. I actually did notice that check box you're referring to. I'm really just curious as to what the cause is more than anything (Apple products tend to bring out the OCD in me). I didn't think to look around in the system preferences utility so I'll be sure to check for changes the next time the icon pops up.

Anyway, thanks again for all the suggestions. I'll update this thread again the next time that icon appears.

shoehornhands

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
This sure is strange. After I made this thread the icon stopped popping up (or at least I haven't seen it show up).

Drives me a little bit crazy not knowing exactly what caused it (part of me wants to see it again just so I can attempt a few of the suggestions / try to figure it out).

Anyway, thanks again for all the suggestions.

shoehornhands

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Well, the icon just popped back up last night for the first time since my last post and it's still there right now as I type this (it actually just disappeared as I was finishing up this post so it was probably up for around 12 hours this time).

I tried disabling Bluetooth and Wireless and it didn't make a difference. I also checked "graphics/displays" in system information (as somebody suggested) and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I also checked out all the TVs in the house and nothing really jumped out as a potential cause.

I did a search and came across this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6670095

It appears to be the same problem I'm having and they too appear to be using a MacBook Air.

This has me a little paranoid that somebody is viewing information on my screen. I often use this computer to view / work on projects that cannot be disclosed.

I have FileVault turned on and last night (after the icon appeared again) I turned the Firewall on as well.

Anybody else experiencing this or have any other ideas/suggestions? If it were a known bug in Yosemite I wouldn't worry about it so much but as I said, aside from me, I was only able to find one other mention of a similar problem.

Thanks

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
I think its a bug as i went round a friends house with my Macbook Air running Yosemite and it just appeared and i thought they must have got an Apple TV now, and when i clicked it i got what you got, just 'Open display preferences'.

I also get ghost Apple TVs showing in the list from previous networks when I'm on a different one.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Probably just a software bug. I recommend you ignore it and give it not another thought.

dsmedic10

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2015
Just an aside here: Filvevault encrypts your drive but it's basicslly unencrypted when you're using the Mac. Your files would be viewable by anyone looking at your screen. Just as it would be if they were using your computer directly.
I have not seen the desktop mirroring icon and I have Bluetooth on. I do not have an Apple tv or any tv that supports wireless. I would file a bug report with Apple anyways. Definitely seems strange though.

jaemall

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2016
Well, the icon just popped back up last night for the first time since my last post and it's still there right now as I type this (it actually just disappeared as I was finishing up this post so it was probably up for around 12 hours this time).

I tried disabling Bluetooth and Wireless and it didn't make a difference. I also checked "graphics/displays" in system information (as somebody suggested) and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I also checked out all the TVs in the house and nothing really jumped out as a potential cause.

I did a search and came across this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6670095

It appears to be the same problem I'm having and they too appear to be using a MacBook Air.

This has me a little paranoid that somebody is viewing information on my screen. I often use this computer to view / work on projects that cannot be disclosed.

I have FileVault turned on and last night (after the icon appeared again) I turned the Firewall on as well.

Anybody else experiencing this or have any other ideas/suggestions? If it were a known bug in Yosemite I wouldn't worry about it so much but as I said, aside from me, I was only able to find one other mention of a similar problem.

Thanks

Hi shoehornhands, I'm also experiencing this exact same weird thing on my mac, it appears and disappears just like that.. Could it be that some people are trying to peep on our screen, or who knows maybe it's not just the screen but also the camera that is on and we're being watched from a remote location.

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Your neighbour has an appleTV is all that is happening.

If you want a permanent fix to this problem and you don't use an appleTV, then you can disable that particular menuitem from appearing in the system preferences.

IdaBlankenship

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2017
I am also experiencing the exact same issue.
I don't have Apple TV. My Samsung Smart TV is an idiot.
I don't think neighbors would be able to access my account.
And the icon acts a little fickle - popped up 10 minutes ago, disappeared 5 minutes ago.
Disappeared when I started looking at the other wifi signals.
And now it's back.
So, I decided to hop on over to my older Mac to post this comment.

I'm VERY suspicious, especially with all of the noise regarding Intelli Agency access to Apple products before they're sold/shipped.
http://www.collective-evolution.com...cia-bugs-factory-fresh-iphones-other-devices/

Like shoehorn's sensitive work, I am also quite active in various online communities labeled "conspiracy" and have assumed for awhile I'm being "watched". I have had trouble signing up for various websites, posting on websites, and a few other incidentals and I'm now starting to wonder if it's all connected. These icon incidents didn't occur after first upgrading my McBook Air to Yosemite, but after my "activities" commenced.

FYI...

Cycling Asia

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2016
Apple TV supports airplay over bluetooth. So it is likely that a neighbour has an Apple TV with bluetooth enabled, and you also have bluetooth enabled on your laptop. If that is so, it could be that on occasions (when the planets are aligned correctly) your laptop is receiving enough information from the Apple TV's bluetooth broadcast to consider it a contender for airplay and displays the icon.

If you're paranoid about this and you don't use bluetooth, turn off bluetooth on your laptop and the problem should go away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.