Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StressedOutUser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
I used Boot Camp to install windows.
After using the drag bar to set my desired partition size for mac and windows, The windows installer loaded.

In the first stage of installation you are required by windows to choose the partition to install to.
The problem here is, All listed partitions have the "Next" button greyed out.

Upon clicking the partitions, the "New" buttons is also greyed out, so it seems I cannot even suitable partition.

I thought this was the purpose of Boot Camp - To set all this up for you.

What do you advise?

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I used Boot Camp to install windows.
After using the drag bar to set my desired partition size for mac and windows, The windows installer loaded.

In the first stage of installation you are required by windows to choose the partition to install to.
The problem here is, All listed partitions have the "Next" button greyed out.

Upon clicking the partitions, the "New" buttons is also greyed out, so it seems I cannot even suitable partition.

I thought this was the purpose of Boot Camp - To set all this up for you.

What do you advise?

You need to format the bootcamp partition to NTFS in the windows installer. OSX only has the ability to format to fat32 (MS-DOS format), which is the windows xp of file systems. There should be a format button there somewhere at that stage of the windows install. I did this same process months ago and it ended up working fine.

StressedOutUser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
You need to format the bootcamp partition to NTFS in the windows installer. OSX only has the ability to format to fat32 (MS-DOS format), which is the windows xp of file systems. There should be a format button there somewhere at that stage of the windows install. I did this same process months ago and it ended up working fine.

I have done this, it doesn't work.

I have also tried going into mac OS, Disk Utility, then deleting the partition and turning it into Free Space.
Then loading windows, and creating the partition from scratch there.

I then get a new error

"Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed".

In all honesty, Boot Camp is a JOKE! Poorly developed software

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I have done this, it doesn't work.

I have also tried going into mac OS, Disk Utility, then deleting the partition and turning it into Free Space.
Then loading windows, and creating the partition from scratch there.

I then get a new error

"Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed".

I don't know what to tell you. It worked for me. Maybe try a livecd of gparted and format the fat32 partition to NTFS from there? Kind of a roundabout method, but it should work. Just make sure to only format the fat32 partition to NTFS.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
This is your fourth separate thread on this BC issue. You tried using an unsupported method to install Windows on your Mac, you didn't know what you were doing and you messed up your boot partition. You keep blaming Apple and Boot Camp. It's kind of hard to help at this point, especially when you haven't been consistent about following the help that's been offered. Might be time to take it to an Apple store or authorized dealer.

I don't by any means think Boot Camp is perfect software, but if you had followed the supported method, it would have worked well enough. This might be unrelated to you, but surprisingly I think it's experienced Windows users who sometimes have a difficult time with it because they don't trust the Boot Camp install process.

FWRN

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Installed 8.1 Enterprise over the weekend and heres what I noticed:

-After partitioning and booting up into the 8.1 Install, hit next, and hit custom (not upgrade). Then, select the boot camp volume (it will be the only volume with the name BOOTCAMP) in huge letters and then hit the format button on the bottom. This will allow you to continue with the installation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.