Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blondee028

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
Las Vegas
I now have the iPhone 5 with 16 GB. Next week I want to buy the 6 plus my question is do I really need 32GB or is 16 GB enough ? I have about 200 names in my address book. I usually have about 1000 pictures a few ringtones usually a couple of short videos but I don't store music on my iPhone . Will 16 GB be enough? I hate to spend all that money on extra GB if I don't need it. Any suggestions?? opinions??

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
32gig means no worries

I don't think the model (5 vs 6, etc) matters, but frankly going with 32gig when it sounds like you are a "light" user makes sense for two reasons that I can think of:

1. Updates - My daughter has a 16gig 4S. She is VERY stingy regarding what she keeps on it - virtually no pictures or videos. Most of the storage is eaten up by texts. That said, any time there's an update she's usually a few megabytes short of the needed space to do an upgrade, and she often has to reinstall everything just to clear up space. 32gig means never worrying about that.

2. Camera - Whether you plan to or not, the camera on the iPhone 6 is so good you will DEFINITELY use it more. And with the excellent video it produces, you will want to use that as well. For video especially, 16gig just won't cut it.

BaggieBoy

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2012
UK
There appears to be some missing of the point here, there is no 32GB option with the 6 or 6+.

Mark.

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2011
London, UK
I now have the iPhone 5 with 16 GB. Next week I want to buy the 6 plus my question is do I really need 32GB or is 16 GB enough ? I have about 200 names in my address book. I usually have about 1000 pictures a few ringtones usually a couple of short videos but I don't store music on my iPhone . Will 16 GB be enough? I hate to spend all that money on extra GB if I don't need it. Any suggestions?? opinions??

Firstly, there is no 32Gb option for the iPhone 6 / 6 Plus. You can choose from 16, 64 or 128.

Secondly, bear in mind that a proportion of the storage will already be taken up by pre-installed software meaning less space for your personal use.

Given the 64Gb is not much extra, I would quadruple your storage from the get-go.

----------

1. Updates - My daughter has a 16gig 4S. She is VERY stingy regarding what she keeps on it - virtually no pictures or videos. Most of the storage is eaten up by texts. That said, any time there's an update she's usually a few megabytes short of the needed space to do an upgrade, and she often has to reinstall everything just to clear up space. 32gig means never worrying about that.

You can bypass the need to uninstall/reinstall things by updating the old fashioned way - via your computer.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
There is no 32G option.

Since you mention that you will use it to take short video, which make perfect sense, because the 6+ comes with a very nice camera. However if you take 1080P 60FPS video, which will easily take up 1GB for a video that just few minutes long.

Also, the modern apps is getting bigger and bigger. Lightroom ~1G, iMovie ~700MB, Keynote + Pages + Numbers ~1.2G.

IMO, get at least the 64G model, otherwise, you may not even able to take good quality video for 30min. If you prefer to lower the video quality, then why you need the 6+? Just for the bigger screen?

I have a 6+ and I am not a heavy iPhone user, ~140 apps+ ~1000 photos + 24 short videos (average 1min long). I backup all the large video, and clean up my iPhone almost every night. It still takes up 16.8GB now (including the iOS itself). So, my suggestion is don't go for the 16G model. Even though you never use any powerful apps, you may still very tight on the storage (~2G buffer? May not enough for OTA), and no way to take any good long video on an important memorable occasion (Or few short videos and then choose the best one later on).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.