Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
I tried to extend the time capsule network with my fios router by entering all the same network setting's but all I got was errors that airport was unable to extend the network. What did I do wrong?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 371

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
what Intell said
extend / join are an apple thing

extending / wds is not a wireless standard it is a wireless technology
and you need the same brands and models to work
the wifi alliance does not certify anything for wds

----

knowing this
what you can do is run an ethernet wire from the FIOS modem to the airport
and call the airport a totally different wifi network. , giving it a different wifi network name and password
if you give your airport a totally different name, it will let you put the airport on a totally different channel
and your laptop, or iPad, will connect to whichever one it thinks has the stronger signal

you might be able to put the airport in bridge mode.

and the stuff connected to the airport router will have the same subnet mask as the other stuff in your network like "192.168.1.*"

if you do not put the airport in bridge mode then it might cause problems
because some stuff on your network will be "192.168.1.*" and whatever stufff connected to the airport will be "172.16.1.*" this is called double nat

if you put the airport on router mode, anything connecting to that airport will be double nat and it won't work if you run a web server or you have something at home that needs an incoming port like peer to peer file sharing

another thing you might be able to try is set an entry for the airport in the verizon fios router called "dmz" , where all the ports will be forwarded to the airport. sometimes that works with incoming ports like peer to peer
if you dmz from the fios to the airport , you can put the airport in router mode and it work and not double nat you

i have had some issues with apple and double nat. and found some things that we take for granted being able to do with apple , fails when you are double nat

i thought i would throw this out , before you take your airport back

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
knowing this
what you can do is run an ethernet wire from the FIOS modem to the airport
and call the airport a totally different wifi network. , giving it a different wifi network name and password
if you give your airport a totally different name, it will let you put the airport on a totally different channel
and your laptop, or iPad, will connect to whichever one it thinks has the stronger signal

The AirPort can have the same network name and security as the other router but must be set to a different wireless channel and must be in bridge mode. This will make it work as an AP (Access Point) and clients can freely roam between the two devices. If set to a different network name, clients would stick to one AP depending on priority on the wireless network list.

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
The AirPort can have the same network name and security as the other router but must be set to a different wireless channel and must be in bridge mode. This will make it work as an AP (Access Point) and clients can freely roam between the two devices. If set to a different network name, clients would stick to one AP depending on priority on the wireless network list.

Do I do extend network or create new network under airport to get what I want?

EDIT: I got it working but I had to turn on DHCP mode and not Bridge. With Bridge mode no internet sites would load.

Last edited:

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
Do I do extend network or create new network under airport to get what I want?

EDIT: I got it working but I had to turn on DHCP mode and not Bridge. With Bridge mode no internet sites would load.

only click on "extend a wireless network" or if you are using 2 apple wireless routers
1 apple wireless router is on create
1 apple wireless router is on extend

if you use any other wifi router you don't use extend because it won't work
extend is an apple only thing

i never thought about using the same wifi network name and password like Altemose said.

i have uverse so i would want to use airport for routing so i just created a different network name
and turned off wifi on the uverse modem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.