Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ECG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
I just returned my ATD since it wasn't waking up when my MBP 13 was waking up.

Genius has the same issue and worst as his main screen wasn't returning to his laptop and stayed on the ATD which didn't wake up.

Anybody's having the same issue?

We tried another ATD in store and it had the same issue.

Brooke00000

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2011
Is this a clamshell mode issue? I ask because I'm still waiting on my keyboard and mouse, so currently I'm using the ATD with my Air open. When I do that, I have no sleep/wake issues.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I use my ATD with my iMac, but I'll plug it into my 13" MBP when I get home and see if I can reproduce the issue.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Works fine for me in both open and clamshell mode. Goes dark when the machine goes to sleep and comes back when the machine wakes up.

usman.rz

macrumors member
May 15, 2010
I just returned my ATD since it wasn't waking up when my MBP 13 was waking up.

Genius has the same issue and worst as his main screen wasn't returning to his laptop and stayed on the ATD which didn't wake up.

Anybody's having the same issue?

We tried another ATD in store and it had the same issue.

I have a similar issue with my 13", i7 MBA. If the display is set to turn off after x minutes in the system settings, it will not wake up unless I unplug the thunderbolt cable, take the computer out of clamshell mode, plug it back in, and then go back into clamshell mode. Putting the display to sleep manually (through a hot corner) doesn't have the same effect and everything works fine. System sleep usually works, but it takes about 10 seconds to start up.

ECG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
Here's the result so far:

Work fine when MBP is booted from external USB Drive. It looks like the problem is linked to my SSD drive. OWC list an firmware update. If it's compatible with MBP 2011 (They list compatibility with MBP 2008-2010 but it just might not have been updated) I'll update my SSD firmware and report.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Weird how it seems to only be the 13" mbp. My i7 17" wakes up fine. I have an OWC SSD as well.

ECG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
auero,

Does you SSD is the 3G or 6G version? If 3G, what is the firmware version (Apple Profiler/ Sata and Revision). Mine is the old release.

Thanks,

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
auero,

Does you SSD is the 3G or 6G version? If 3G, what is the firmware version (Apple Profiler/ Sata and Revision). Mine is the old release.

Thanks,

Revision: 343A13F0

It's the 3G version. I haven't updated it since I got it because the tool was unavailable. I'm aware there is an update now but every things works fine so I don't want to risk creating an issue.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
The math is completely flawed here.

It should be Thunderbolt Display³ * Sleep (MBP/13 - ¾) = 42.

I'll prove my work if need be.

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
If my MBP is asleep and closed and I plug in the Thunderbolt cable and try to wake from the external keyboard, the screen is blank. The hard drive wakes and I get volume, but no picture. I have to restart MBP to get the display working. Once that is done I have no problem sleeping and waking the display. Sort of annoying as have to restart or open MBP every time I plug the cable in and the place where I am docking my MBP in the BookArc stand is very narrow.

Last edited:

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
I think mine is experiencing the issue now?

I left my display open and put my macbook pro to sleep.

When I got home I noticed that the isight camera light was on (left photo booth open on accident). When I pressed a key the display flashed on to my lock screen.

I'll have to test it again later.

mikealex

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2011
Found this thread while researching my Thunderbolt Display problems.

I have an early 2011 15" MBP and a Thunderbolt Display. When I put the MBP to sleep, disconnect it, then plug it back into the TD later, it's 50/50 whether the display will work. Half the time, when I connect the magsafe plug, I don't even get a green LED to show power to the MBP. There's also no power to the USB ports on the TD, which are always supposed to be powered. All I can do to get things running again is unplug the power cord from the TD, wait a minute, then plug it back in. Usually works, but occasionally takes a couple tries.

If I put the MBP to sleep, but don't disconnect it from the TD, it's always fine. It's only if I disconnect and then reconnect later that the problem occurs.

I thought my first TD was defective, so I exchanged it, but the second has exactly the same problem.

ygourven

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2015
ATD Sleep / Wake issue

I bought my ATD in Dec 2014. My MBP is a 13" 3 year old machine. It works fine when unplugged from the ATD.

At first no issue with ATD and suddenly I had that problem yesterday. At one point it rebooted (twice). I had a blank White screen with system explanations (couldn't read them). It then rebooted and started to screw up Ms Office 2011. Had to reinstall everything.

ATD works fine except sleep. I will unplug as you suggest. Wait and see...

:apple: Isn't Apple supposed to support that kind of issues?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.