Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fadingxvampire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2014
Hey guys! I apologise if this is in the wrong place, etc!

I'm not the best with technology, and was hoping for some advice/guidance from others which ipad would be the best to purchase.

I've been wanting an ipad for a long time, and am hoping to use it mainly for school, typing notes in class and on the bus (starting the occasional assignment while I'm on the go), while also looking at pdfs, and reading. it would also been my social media device (fb, twitter, browsing the internet), while I also occasionally watch films, and play a few games here and there.

I originally was going to splurge and purchase an ipad air 2 (as it's the most recent device), but after seeing a few issues arise with it (vibration, screen distortion, battery life, etc, etc), I'm starting to feel a bit hesitant, considering the price.

I started thinking the original ipad air would be fine for my needs, and would be a good deal if apple price matches, etc; but my main concern with the ipad air is that it might be 'outdated'. I'm worried in a years time, it might be too slow and that I would've wasted my money.

I then started thinking if I'm wanting to purchase an ipad air, I could always consider getting the ipad mini 2 or 3, considering they all have similar specs.

I've never owned an ipad and am hoping to pick the most robust product that would hopefully last me at least 2- 3 years (I hope even more haha)

I was just wondering what you guys previously/currently use, which one seems the best for my needs, and what you guys think is the most safe choice? I've been countless times to the apple store, but still have no clue!

Any help is appreciated,

:)

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Get the iPad Air 2.

The vibrations are a part of the design of the speakers.

If you never owned an iPad before, you'll never notice the battery life at all. I charge my iPad Air 2 about once every 4 days.

Screen what? Every "new" iPad has "had" this problem. iPad Air 2 is no different. It either is a myth or is so minor, I don't notice it. Either way, if you've never owned an iPad before, this probably isn't a problem.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Yes, the issues, as previously stated, are non-issues. I love my Air 2, and have used it for the past three days and it's still at about 30% battery.

I will suggest that if you tend to read a lot of PDFs, the full-sized iPad is the way to go, as you don't have to zoom as much to read them.

As for the iPad Mini, get the Mini 2 if you only need 32GB and can live without Touch ID. If you absolutely need Touch ID, then get the Mini 3 in 64GB.

Finally, if you are out for future proofing, definitely get the Air 2, in at least 64GB. You'll be very happy with it.

Good luck! Hope this helps!

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Well, I sold my Mini, it was too small for me. I've got all the other iPad models except the 1st gen (sold that a long time ago).

The Air 2 runs circles around all the others. The iPad 4 and the iPad Air still work very well and have very good performance but they don't compare to the iPad Air 2 (depending on task of course). By selling off an older model, and getting holiday discounts, and no Taxes from B & H, it only cost me about 200 for the 64GB WiFi model.

Definitely one of my better purchases.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Here's a thread I'd started asking similar (about iPad Air and iPad Air 2) that you may also find helpful: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1831202/

I don't think even the Air would be unusable in 2 - 3 years but it depends also on how often you want to upgrade.

The Mini is AWESOME for portability, reading, social media, etc. but I don't know about taking notes on it. Also if you read a lot of PDFs I'd check into the zoom issues; I always read epub docs so I can't speak to the PDFs.

----------

Well, I sold my Mini, it was too small for me. I've got all the other iPad models except the 1st gen (sold that a long time ago).

The Air 2 runs circles around all the others. The iPad 4 and the iPad Air still work very well and have very good performance but they don't compare to the iPad Air 2 (depending on task of course). By selling off an older model, and getting holiday discounts, and no Taxes from B & H, it only cost me about 200 for the 64GB WiFi model.

Definitely one of my better purchases.

Would I be disappointed in the performance of the Air if I've never used an Air 2? I'm going from an iPad Min (first gen) to whatever Air I get, so I mean, really either is an upgrade.... lol.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Apple has almost abandoned Air 1 and will keep it buggy with UI lag at specific places. It will likely get more and more buggier with subsequent major iOS updates.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011

The only "wrong" thing about asking your question here is that this place is full of fanboys who pretend the issues with Apple products - such as the sound vibrations with the Air 2 - don't exist.

Get the Air 1, it's cheaper and has actually less issues than the Air 2. The secret to prevent it from becoming slow is not updating automatically: Apple releases every year a new iOS, usually without any real advantage from the last one, as a way to make people upgrade their devices. We're currently on iOS 8; an iPad Air with iOS 10 is likely going to be slower than the iPad 2 under iOS 5. So don't upgrade your iOS - you very likely won't miss any useful feature, and your iPad won't become any slower than the day you buy it.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
"iPad Air 2 vibrations are part of the design of the speakers" ... that's the most hilarious thing I've read on here in a while. Yeah, it's a built in subwoofer, it's listed right there in the spec sheet at Apple.com/iPad ... :rolleyes: *sarcasm*

And if someone is charging their Air 2 once every 4 days they're not anywhere near a heavy enough iPad user to need the power that's in that machine. The Air 1 has a larger battery and I charge mind daily, even if at the end of a day I've got 50% left. I do everything on my iPad from basic things like web browsing, email, and music to watching video, playing games (with my Steelseries Status XL), and photo editing (Pixelmator).

----------

Apple has almost abandoned Air 1 and will keep it buggy with UI lag at specific places. It will likely get more and more buggier with subsequent major iOS updates.

Abandoned?

From Apple.com:

iPad Air puts all the computer you may ever need into a simple piece of glass. Both versions of iPad Air are incredibly capable, with desktop-class 64‑bit architecture, gorgeous 9.7-inch Retina displays, and all-day battery life. And the new iPad Air 2 takes those capabilities even further with Touch ID, the fast A8X chip, new cameras, and the versatile Apple SIM — in a design so thin and light you have to hold on.

And the only UI lag on iOS 8.1.2 I see is in Safari in landscape mode. See my debate with MaxIT in the other thread and you'll know that for me to defend iOS 8 and say it's usable is a huge thing given I'd held out on iOS 7 for so long and even got my iOS 8 iPad Air replaced a few months ago by Apple for one with iOS 7.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I use the iPad mainly as a diversion while traveling, and as an e-reader while at home. I went from the iPad 1 to the iPad 3 and then to the rMini. Personally, I really like the rMini size better than the full size iPad. To make my decision I just kept visiting the Apple store and handling both. Still happy with the rMini!

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
iPad Air

The iPad Air is fine it is perfect for fun things to do on a device.
I went with my iPad Air to the Apple Store a few blocks from me and put it side by side with the so called iPad Air 2. Meh.. I was NOT impressed what so ever, same design, same feel and same same same. Regardless of the so called "improvements and additions", it is the same device, same speed and same everything is the same, same same same same...

Until they really come up with a REAL refresh don't bother it is all the same device.

Hope this helps!

Love you all A Lot!

I'm not the best with technology, and was hoping for some advice/guidance from others which ipad would be the best to purchase.

I've been wanting an ipad for a long time, and am hoping to use it mainly for school, typing notes in class and on the bus (starting the occasional assignment while I'm on the go), while also looking at pdfs, and reading. it would also been my social media device (fb, twitter, browsing the internet), while I also occasionally watch films, and play a few games here and there.

I originally was going to splurge and purchase an ipad air 2 (as it's the most recent device), but after seeing a few issues arise with it (vibration, screen distortion, battery life, etc, etc), I'm starting to feel a bit hesitant, considering the price.

I started thinking the original ipad air would be fine for my needs, and would be a good deal if apple price matches, etc; but my main concern with the ipad air is that it might be 'outdated'. I'm worried in a years time, it might be too slow and that I would've wasted my money.

I then started thinking if I'm wanting to purchase an ipad air, I could always consider getting the ipad mini 2 or 3, considering they all have similar specs.

I've never owned an ipad and am hoping to pick the most robust product that would hopefully last me at least 2- 3 years (I hope even more haha)

I was just wondering what you guys previously/currently use, which one seems the best for my needs, and what you guys think is the most safe choice? I've been countless times to the apple store, but still have no clue!

Any help is appreciated,

:)

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Don't get bogged down by those details and issues, which are actually most likely non-issues. Instead think about the big picture. How much would you use an iPad, and, would it be worth the money and would you not regret buying one? Compare the price of an iPad to how valuable an iPad is to you and your uses.

I personally think the iPad mini 2 is currently the best value iPad, but iPads are worth more to some people than others. It all depends on your iPad usage and how much money you want to spend.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Firstly:

Ipad air and mini2 have the exact same guts. They will gain less support as time goes on but both are EXCELLENT value for what they offer.

For longevity, go with the Air2. It will receive and be able to handle at least 1 or two OS updates if you choose to use them.

I love my mini2 for home use in the washroom or the occasional gaming, for me the mini is the sweet spot for use, however if you are going to be doing anything work or school related I recommend more screen real estate of a full sized ipad.

Believe it or not the mini2 and mini 3 weigh almost the same as an ipad Air. So for size, and comfort again I recommend the Air1 or Air2.

If your main goal is longevity in a device, your best bet is the Air2, but if you are smart and pick and choose your OS updates with the Air1, it will easily get you 2-3 years use without difficulty.

I think that you will crave more screen size if you go with the mini, especially for pdf etc.

Your best bet is to KNOW what you want to use it for, consider screen real estate for 90% of that useage and make your purchase based on that.

If saving a couple of hundred bucks appeals then go with the Air 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.